Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Super Password by Gametek

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peenut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Super Password by Gametek Reply with quote

Hello,

Danny "peenut" Hooley here, wondering if there are any copies and/or ROMS that exist of "Super Password," which is based on the hit TV game show hosted by Bert Convy -- God rest his soul.

Attached to this message is the cover art as seen in the "Double Dare" manual by Gametek when that game was released originally on January 1, 1988.

Although a computer game of this game does exist, what I would like to know is if there areany ROMS of this game that exist; if so, please let me know the links to the ROMS. It doesn't matter to me if the game is complete or incomplete. Thank you in advance.

Danny "peenut" Hooley

[/img]
ChiefCoralcola

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I know I'm resurrecting an old topic, but I'm a NES collector (and player for 25+ years) and I'm now on the hunt for some roms and/or physical copies of certain carts I spent... way too much of my childhood looking for with my Dad.

I'm also a very big game show fan and have all the GS games officially released for the NES, but I'm looking for Super Password in particular because I was a fan of the original show and my Dad and I spent YEARS scouring FuncoLands, flea markets, yard sales, etc. in the Mid-Atlantic looking for this game (it was listed in the FuncoLand NES catalog for a number of years... Evil or Very Mad ) until we found out in the late 90's it was never released.

It started off just as being called "Password" before becoming "Super Password" (named after the version airing on NBC at the time), and then became "Talking Super Password" after somebody felt that the... POS (Power of Speech, folks! Cool ) had to be integrated into the game, which admittedly, would have fit with the show and its rules and would've been cool for a fan to experience. I don't think a ROM has been dumped yet (I'd like to be proven wrong though) as I've done more searching online over the years than I'd like to admit, but I'm pretty sure a physical test cartridge exists as I've seen pictures of it (and the game itself working on screen) and talked to some people I've met online that all said they heard it was traded around at a point in the early 2000's.

If anyone here has an idea of who could have a test cartridge of it in possession, I'd love to be able to reach out to them and strike up a conversation about acquiring it. If nothing else, it would bring the 20+ year hunt my dad and I have had to some kind of closure. Ideally, a ROM being uploaded would then allow others to be able to play it, but I don't know how realistic that expectation is either.

Thanks a million. BTW, if you couldn't already tell, I'm also a big StarTropics fan. Wink
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone who worked at Gametek at the time has a copy, you are probably out of luck.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I personally haven't heard of any version of NES Password being found yet. Though, if you're a fan of NES game show titles, MrMark has prototypes of Wheel of Fortune and Super Jeopardy for sale. Dunno if they're any different from retail.

ChiefCoralcola wrote:
Ideally, a ROM being uploaded would then allow others to be able to play it, but I don't know how realistic that expectation is either.

Totally realistic. If you find a cartridge, I can dump the rom for you.

If you like StarTropics, you'll probably like this.
ChiefCoralcola

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting list of games MrMark has. Thanks for the info. There's a number of different listings on there that pique my interest besides the game shows too. I wonder where he acquired them all... Shocked

I actually have seen that video too on the ST music! I'm a moderator on the StarTropics forum (www.startropics.proboards.com), where one of my fellow mods found it a few days ago and we were talking about how the two "errors" that led to the music differences were entirely different in their scope, leading to the idea that some of the tunes were composed entirely separate from each other in development (one 0 can make an entire civilization's worth of difference, as anyone with coding experience can attest to). I've never heard of an NES game that featured music development like that before. Confused
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going on memory here, so I could be wrong, but I recall Nintendo Power saying Startropics essentially had to go back for another pass of QC as it was nearing release. NP ran a pretty substantial preview of Startropics in the summer of 1990, something they usually didn't do unless the game was very close to a release. An issue or two later, they made a statement saying that the game was delayed, I forget the exact wording. It was another six months or so before the game came out. Maybe the apparent difference in music development was a result of that last minute tweaking the game went through?

Also, there's at least one prototype copy of Startropics out there. Last I heard, back in 2012, it was owned by Jason Wilson (DreamTR). The person who sold it to him played it to the ending and didn't notice any differences, so it's probably final or near-final. I doubt Jason is looking to sell it, but it seemed like something you'd want to know!
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Yeah, I personally haven't heard of any version of NES Password being found yet. Though, if you're a fan of NES game show titles, MrMark has prototypes of Wheel of Fortune and Super Jeopardy for sale. Dunno if they're any different from retail.

Pah, this spreadsheet requires access now. Not sure if it did originally, but either way.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I linked to an old copy, which is probably why he locked it. This one should be current.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Mark's list, I thought Caveman Ninja was the EU name for Joe & Mac?
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Looking at Mark's list, I thought Caveman Ninja was the EU name for Joe & Mac?

It is, this was an NTSC version. The A and B button functions were reversed and it had a different title screen, can't remember anything else different.

Skrybe: Super old list, got a few messages about it recently so I locked it up to avoid confusion.

Had one contact who worked for Gametek, but zero leads on the unreleased stuff.
VideoGameTemple

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Wish I Could fine roms for that game and other unreleased games
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: