Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

Double Dare by Gametek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peenut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Double Dare by Gametek Reply with quote

I'm sure most of you reading this remember a game show that came on Nickelodeon in the '80s and early '90s called "Double Dare," but I bet the majority of you DIDN'T KNOW that there was a video game version of "Double Dare" played exactly like its TV counterpart.

The game, made by Gametek in 1987 and released on January 1, 1988, had 2 teams of 2 contestants answer questions on every subject from rock to rocks. If you didn't know the answer, or think the other team didn't have a clue, you could dare them to answer for double the money, but you had to be careful, because the other team could always double dare you back for 4 times that amount, and then you either had to answer or take a Physical Challenge.

Like its TV counterpart, if you won the game, you got to go to the Obstacle Course, where you had 60 seconds or less to grab 8 flags in 8 obstacles; if done successfully, you won a vacation.

I'll be honest with you readers: I LOVE this game...so much so that in addition to the Nintendo game, I also have a Computer PC game (also by Gametek) that was made later on in 1988.
BBH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Double Dare by Gametek Reply with quote

peenut wrote:
but I bet the majority of you DIDN'T KNOW that there was a video game version of "Double Dare" played exactly like its TV counterpart.

You think the majority of people on this forum don't know about NES games?
sebmal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Double Dare by Gametek Reply with quote

BBH wrote:
peenut wrote:
but I bet the majority of you DIDN'T KNOW that there was a video game version of "Double Dare" played exactly like its TV counterpart.

You think the majority of people on this forum don't know about NES games?

god damn dude you are everywhere i go
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey peenut, you're really into game shows aren't you?
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, remember that show Finder's Keepers?

Yeah, there was no game based on that.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember those shows where people could call in and play shitty video games via their phone?

Wow... those games sucked... and so did the players who called in and played them!
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one I remember was PlayMania on GSN.
I'm not surprised it sucked. I mean, who besides drunks and stoners calls in to a show that aired live at midnight? :P
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. We had those midnight things and stuff too (poor Tetris clones and poker games and stuff)

But there was also other stuff... like this abomination that was licensed (or more like whored out) to many TV channels across Europe, so it may be (ab)used in various Saturday Morning shows for children and stuff... it was always so painful to watch that stuff as kids :(

I mean... look at how slow and stuff this is: SLOOOOOW, BOOOORING and UNEXCITING!

Sure, they might've been designed for play via TV call-in stuff and controlled via the phone, so things gotta be slow 'cause of the absurd latency between what the player sees and the picture appears on his/her screen (And people still think this is a good idea?), but, yeah, the home versions were just as dull as seen on TV.
GDRI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the '70s, there was TV POWWW, which used Fairchild Channel Fs. Jerry Lawson talked in more detail about it on RetroGaming Radio.
BBH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Double Dare by Gametek Reply with quote

sebmal wrote:
god damn dude you are everywhere i go

I know right? I didn't even realize until recently that you were idling in #geese_tower haha

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Hey, remember that show Finder's Keepers?

Fuck yes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: