Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am

Ares no Tsubasa (Famicom version of Legendary Wings)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Ares no Tsubasa (Famicom version of Legendary Wings) Reply with quote

How much info is there available on the unreleased Famicom version of Legendary Wings (Ares no Tsubasa). All I know is that the "Ares no Tsubasa" title screen is hidden in the graphic data of the NES version and that an actual prototype of the game was discovered at some point, but other than that nothing.

For example: was the Famicom version going to include the characters of Michelle Heart and Kevin Walker from the Japanese arcade release or did it had the generic male characters from the US version?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ares no Tsubasa (Famicom version of Legendary Wings) Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
All I know is that the "Ares no Tsubasa" title screen is hidden in the graphic data of the NES version

It is? I just looked through the ROM and didn't see it anywhere.
dragon2snow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is hack
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ares no Tsubasa (Famicom version of Legendary Wings) Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
an actual prototype of the game was discovered at some point,

DreamTR still owns that, as far as I know. It's been dumped, and is identical to the US version, title screen and all.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! So no prototype of the Famicom version has been found yet? Were there at least magazine previews or ads published for it like the Famicom Strider?
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Covell has a couple of scans of magazine previews for Strider.

http://disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secret/FC__1988Q2.html#strider

As he mentioned in the article, a proto did turn up on Yahoo Japan some time ago, but unsurprisingly it ended up going for a hefty amount. I have no idea who won it. There is actual video footage of the game in action from some commercial Famicom tape.

http://www.archive.org/details/strider-famicom

The most interesting change I've noticed, is when Strider talks to someone in the Famicom version it does not go to a separate screen to display the text. Instead some text displays next to Hiryuu, although its written vertically. Seems the localization team didn't know how to reprogram this to be horizontal for an English script, so they went with the black screen method. (Or they were just lazy.) The exact same thing was done with Makai Island.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Were there at least magazine previews or ads published for it

I've never seen any, personally, but I haven't done much looking.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Chris Covell has a couple of scans of magazine previews for Strider.

http://disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secret/FC__1988Q2.html#strider

As he mentioned in the article, a proto did turn up on Yahoo Japan some time ago, but unsurprisingly it ended up going for a hefty amount. I have no idea who won it. There is actual video footage of the game in action from some commercial Famicom tape.

The most interesting change I've noticed, is when Strider talks to someone in the Famicom version it does not go to a separate screen to display the text. Instead some text displays next to Hiryuu, although its written vertically. Seems the localization team didn't know how to reprogram this to be horizontal for an English script, so they went with the black screen method. (Or they were just lazy.) The exact same thing was done with Makai Island.

Yeah. I was already well-aware of the Famicom Strider and Chris Covell's scans. In fact, I was the first person who made a thread about it here almost four years ago.

The most interesting thing about the Famicom Strider is that it was supposed to have lyrics which you would sing-along with the game's opening theme. I remember reading in some Japanese Strider Hiryu fansite that Moto Kikaku released a mail-order album for the manga that used the same music from the NES game, including vocal versions of the game's opening and ending theme. I found at least one Nicodouga video featuring the NES game's theme with the lyrics played below.

The main theme was apparently titled 青き野を馳せる者 (Aokino o Haseru Mono or "The Blue Wild Rider")
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm1647570[/url]
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:

It looks like Makai Island, which means the text routine is sprite-based, which means it's limited to the NES' hardware limit of 8 characters per line, which is an unsuitable limit for English text.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: