Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

The Cutting Room Floor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: The Cutting Room Floor Reply with quote

Yeah, this thing. Well, the new version of that thing.

Anyway, some of us have been trying to get CONTENT! onto these pages. You guys are a pretty good source for various bullshit, so any suggestions or additions you can think of? I've been debating putting up prototype/unreleased things, too (but I'd definitely want prerelease screenshots that show changes, so it'd make sense to also have prototypes and such, I guess)
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nice to see the Cutting Room Floor back. For new content, well the song thread we had is a good start.

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=1849&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I made a thread some time ago about the shadow enemies in the final area of Rygar, and how they actually have true forms that are in the rom but you never get to see them in game. And there's that Hebereke thread.

That Sega Logo getting destroyed in Recca is crazy. Somebody at KID really didn't like them?
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
That Sega Logo getting destroyed in Recca is crazy. Somebody at KID really didn't like them?

Maybe Vic Tokai saw that and retaliated with this hidden scene from Battle Mania.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Its nice to see the Cutting Room Floor back. For new content, well the song thread we had is a good start.

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=1849&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I made a thread some time ago about the shadow enemies in the final area of Rygar, and how they actually have true forms that are in the rom but you never get to see them in game. And there's that Hebereke thread.

Would you mind linking to those? I know there's the search option but I'm notoriously bad with those.

Alternatively if you have a lot of information to dump, I could just set you up with a wiki account.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Hebereke thread:

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=1768

And the Rygar one:

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=1967
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably already familiar with CaH4e3's site, but he has a ton of hidden and disabled NES/Fami material in this list.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Cutting Room Floor Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:
Anyway, some of us have been trying to get CONTENT! onto these pages. You guys are a pretty good source for various bullshit, so any suggestions or additions you can think of? I've been debating putting up prototype/unreleased things, too (but I'd definitely want prerelease screenshots that show changes, so it'd make sense to also have prototypes and such, I guess)

Well, it's probably not the most exciting content in the world, but Nintendo debug menus strike me as generally being pretty well-hidden or gone by release, so this is something -- one time when I was entering Game Genie codes into Tetris 2 for Game Boy at random and got 6 in a row of the same color during gameplay, a debug menu popped up labeled "Tetris Flash" (the game's Japanese release title). Sound test, sprite test, demo recording feature, probably a cinema test, the works. Like a moron, I didn't keep the GG codes, and I wouldn't know how to hack my way into the menu myself, but that's one debug menu. If a Game Genie can get to it through some sorcery once, I'm sure it could be hacked into again. Pulling up that menu that one time has been bugging me for ages -- I could never get it to come up again.

No idea if a similar menu would be in the NES or SNES versions as well or not.

Oh! Also, a Game Genie code once gave me this fun weird error message in SML3: Wario Land about my saves being corrupted with sprites and possibly sound effects that I don't remember often coming across. I'd imagine a lot of Nintendo-made games having those sorts of messages about corrupted saves, or the anti-piracy messages like the old debug mode GG code for Super Metroid would pull up. I'm not sure if that's really of interest either, but most people usually haven't seen those messages.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is interesting, especially since Tetris Flash was delayed in Japan so they could tack on a few SGB palettes (not even a border) that weren't in the US version.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I had the same problem. I got a debug menu in Game & Watch Gallery 3 by inputting a code like 123-ABC or something insane (that broke the game pretty badly). I'll take a look at it, though.!

Code:
0001c5c0  6f af 37 3f c3 2a 21 02 01 3d 20 54 45 54 52 49  o¯7?Ăƒ*!..= TETRI
0001c5d0  53 20 46 4c 41 53 48 20 3d 00 03 03 53 54 41 52  S FLASH =...STAR
0001c5e0  54 00 03 05 52 4f 55 4e 44 00 03 07 53 50 45 45  T...ROUND...SPEE
0001c5f0  44 00 03 09 43 48 52 4d 41 50 00 03 0b 4d 55 53  D...CHRMAP...MUS
0001c600  49 43 00 03 0d 53 45 00 00 4d 46 56 46 5f 46 68  IC...SE..MFVF_Fh

So it is. Time for fun!
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPU meter! The screen dims after the game is done (so lower = more CPU usage).

No menu yet, though. D'oh.
CaH4e3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed Wink Japanese Faria sound test pass is "むしか" which is pronounced as "musica"

upd

Here pack of search results with some specific strings found in smd and gbx roms,
http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/misc/tocheck.rar
there is too many of them to cheack all these cheats myself, in addition there is not my prefer game system Wink

these ones for gbx checked, sorry only russian just now http://forum.emu-russia.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=400 Wink

Over horizon (NES) draft for alternate ending: http://forum.emu-russia.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1780 and more additional boss graphics unused
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Cutting Room Floor Reply with quote

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
Well, it's probably not the most exciting content in the world, but Nintendo debug menus strike me as generally being pretty well-hidden or gone by release, so this is something -- one time when I was entering Game Genie codes into Tetris 2 for Game Boy at random and got 6 in a row of the same color during gameplay, a debug menu popped up labeled "Tetris Flash" (the game's Japanese release title). Sound test, sprite test, demo recording feature, probably a cinema test, the works. Like a moron, I didn't keep the GG codes, and I wouldn't know how to hack my way into the menu myself, but that's one debug menu. If a Game Genie can get to it through some sorcery once, I'm sure it could be hacked into again. Pulling up that menu that one time has been bugging me for ages -- I could never get it to come up again.

Jackpot! ...sort of. I still don't know how to access it proper, yet.

The graphics viewer.

Construct mode! This is how they made the puzzles, I'd imagine:

Pick your pieces... the bottom shows which are going to be used and in what order, the top right digit is which page you're on.

More as this develops :P

E: If you want to try it out yourself:
E154: debug menu active when 04

Good luck, though, as it's kind of hard to play with.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaH4e3 wrote:
Over horizon (NES) draft for alternate ending: http://forum.emu-russia.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1780 and more additional boss graphics unused

Speaking of Over Horizon, the back of the PAL box shows a "Waybar" option on the weapon edit screen that isn't available in the final game. The option edit screen is slightly different as well.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool seeing everything again Xkeeper, thanks for taking a look! I know for sure that getting the menu to display properly should be possible in the released game, if you've got the inclination to mess with it after already finding the debug options -- when I got it, it was just a white screen with black text, "Tetris Flash" title at the top, not too dissimilar looking from most of the NES debug menus on your site.

Talking debug menus though, just to ask, did you guys ever figure out that stage select screen in Castlevania IV/SNES Akumajou Dracula?
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, but we did find a few others in Pang and Final Fight (SNES).

By the way, cendamos (i.e. "that crazy ocarina of time guy") ended up finding how to enable the full menu. I still want to see if I can get a better hacker to find how to enable the menu proper, as right now it requires locking a RAM address and clearing the screen.

Video forthcoming, YouTube is being a pain Rolling Eyes
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.

Deboog manu.
sebmal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:
Here you go.

Deboog manu.

If only Tetris 2 was a good game. Still badass though.
hybrid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start game in debug menu
241-58F-E6E
i find that Game genie codes work better for stuff like that

heres alittle something for the NES version

using this game genie Code
IAUKLVZE
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebmal wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
Here you go.

Deboog manu.

If only Tetris 2 was a good game. Still badass though.

Still one of my favorite game commercials, though.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, there it is - I haven't seen that screen in 16 years. I'm not sure if it's been noted yet, but pressing B in the debug menu toggles the CPU meter, and the Super Game Boy rerelease/Japanese version also has a "SGB" option in the menu, which doesn't seem to do anything.

Tetris 2 really isn't a bad game -- in some ways, I like it better than Dr. Mario, since it's basically a version of Dr. Mario that utilizes Tetris skills, and destroying the flashing block at the bottom to get rid of the rest of the blocks of the same color is kind of a fun mechanic. The ad actually was kind of misleading to me though, since I'd been seeing previews of Japanese Bombliss Tetris games in EGM for a few months, and based on that ad, I'd kind of expected that to be included.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: