Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 pm

Bomberman like arcade game from the 90s.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chojin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Bomberman like arcade game from the 90s. Reply with quote

So there's this game that I cannot find any info of that I played I posted this on another site a few months back but got no guesses. Wondering if any of you could help me out:

If you guys could help me name this game I'd so be in your debt. In fact i'll send someone a steam gift for the first to find it with some proof. It's been on my brain forever and I searched klov and the internets and couldn't find anything.

Okay so this game came out probably around 1990-92. Its an arcade game. Its much like bomberman except you play a bunch of knights that use bombs and can stun the other players or make the bombs explode by whipping them with chains. Gameplay was on a grid just like bomberman. Action was faster than bomberman. And the "blocks" to blow up looked more like treasure chests, which contained powerups inside. I have no idea who made it. And the fuzzy memories of the name of the game was like Lancelot or something.

The only place I ever saw it was at the Cyberstation in Southland mall in Hayward back in 1992 when I was visiting relatives that summer. I was 13 so I wasn't like 5 and dreaming this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bonus help!:

There was a game my friend had on the Atari 16 bit computer (uh dunno XL and XE which I think were 8 bit the amiga like one whatever) that was a post apocalyptic game where it was top down, you shot green mutants that bled green and you had to find foodstuff inside crates that was green and um... soylent. More than just an action game you had to conserve fuel for your apocalypsemobile and the action sections were for searching warehouses. I played it once in 1990 on my friends Atari computer, game totally escapes me.
linlhutz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to post this at the EveryVideoGame forum. If you haven't already.
7HeroesForceBattle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bomberman like arcade game from the 90s. Reply with quote

Chojin wrote:
If you guys could help me name this game I'd so be in your debt. In fact i'll send someone a steam gift for the first to find it with some proof. It's been on my brain forever and I searched klov and the internets and couldn't find anything.

a steam gift? That's kind of a big range, isn't it?

Quote:
Okay so this game came out probably around 1990-92. Its an arcade game. Its much like bomberman except you play a bunch of knights that use bombs and can stun the other players or make the bombs explode by whipping them with chains. Gameplay was on a grid just like bomberman. Action was faster than bomberman. And the "blocks" to blow up looked more like treasure chests, which contained powerups inside. I have no idea who made it. And the fuzzy memories of the name of the game was like Lancelot or something.

ah, I kind of wish you hadn't said it was an arcade game. It sounded a lot like Super Tekkyu Fight.

Let's see...I doubt MAWs will turn up anything, but..
Let's see, it files Bomberman games as "Maze"...
Top date of 1992...

Whew, that's still a lot of titles. But if it's there, I think I'll find it pretty fast working backwards.

wait, what? This can't be right. But...

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7741

Knights, bombs, whips, generic JRPG treasure chests for destroyable blocks.

But it's a Japan-only title as far as I can tell. I wonder what would have prompted the owner of Cyberstation to bring it over.

Quote:
There was a game my friend had on the Atari 16 bit computer (uh dunno XL and XE which I think were 8 bit the amiga like one whatever) that was a post apocalyptic game where it was top down, you shot green mutants that bled green and you had to find foodstuff inside crates that was green and um... soylent. More than just an action game you had to conserve fuel for your apocalypsemobile and the action sections were for searching warehouses. I played it once in 1990 on my friends Atari computer, game totally escapes me.

At first blush, this sounds kind of like Bad Blood. But that wasn't for an Atari system. Let me check Mobygames for post-apocalyptic games...

Oh, here, this looks extremely promising:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/road-raider/screenshots

Now, in a post-apocalyptic environment, you are set to destroy the evil Dr. A Noid, who had turned people to zombies with his artificial food called "SLU".

First, you drive through the city with your ATV, destroying enemy vehicles and avoiding mines and gun turrets. There are several buildings you can explore.

In those buildings, you walk from room to room in a gauntlet-style setting, shooting zombies and avoiding traps. You'll find ammunition, food, and hopefully the pass to the Arena.

be rather surprised if this isn't it!

tl;dr
1. Exvania
2. Road Raider

anyway, unless you tell me I'm wrong, I'm considering both of these cases MYTHBUSTED RESOLVED
Chojin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY SHIT it is Exvania

I did an image search and screenshots match with what I remember

PM your steam id yo~

AND

That other game is Road Raider!

J00 my hero!

15 years of my brain hurting SOLVED. THANK YOU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: