Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 am

Please help me make a stage select code for Gunstar SH.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7HeroesForceBattle

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Please help me make a stage select code for Gunstar SH. Reply with quote

A few months ago, the music data from Gunstar Super Heroes (the GBA one) was extracted, and it was discovered that there were seven songs that weren't used. A guy posted there over at a Treasure fan forum:

http://www.mrmonkeyman.com/treasure/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1298

What makes these seven songs special is that they're all from classic Sega games - Galaxy Force II, E-SWAT, Altered Beast, After Burner, etc. Early previews of the game indicated that the Sega homages in GSH would extend to music, but the final game didn't actually use them. Other references (such as an Altered Beast boss fight) were also apparently cut.

If the music is still in the game, however, that means other stuff might be hidden in there. I don't have the know-how to pull the game apart and look for unused sprites and other data, but if someone here is willing to walk me through the common processes of making a level select code for a GBA game via Gameshark/Action Replay, it might lead to discovering game content that has never before been seen outside of Treasure/Sega.

Pretty please?
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind postulating this elsewhere, you can throw this over on The Cutting Room Floor's forum and I'll see if I can get anybody there to look into it.
7HeroesForceBattle

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:
If you don't mind postulating this elsewhere, you can throw this over on The Cutting Room Floor's forum and I'll see if I can get anybody there to look into it.

Good suggestion. I'll make a topic. I'd appreciate you mentioning this anywhere else that comes to mind.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months ago? This has been known since forever... or at least since the music was ripped.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a GSF rip somewhere? I don't see one in the usual places.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find it anywhere, sorry. Must have wiped it out last time I formatted. Sad
7HeroesForceBattle

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GSH GSF set (the first one I was aware of) was posted here:

http://hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=39&showpage=154

The saga continues over the next six or seven pages, including a pack containing everything extracted (all the sound effects and such) and some notes on who composed the Sega music.

Last I checked, nobody was sure why the set was missing the track "SORROW", which is definitely in the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg7MyVajG7M
around 11:18

ICEknight wrote:
A few months ago? This has been known since forever... or at least since the music was ripped.

As far as I was aware, a GSF set for Gunstar Super Heroes was not ripped until the February that rolled by a few months ago. I spent a bit of time searching for any indication (other than the first batch of previews) that people knew about these Sega arrangements being in the game, and I couldn't find anything.

If you have any more information, I'd really appreciate you posting it here.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7HeroesForceBattle wrote:
The GSH GSF set (the first one I was aware of) was posted here:

http://hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=39&showpage=154

Much obliged.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7HeroesForceBattle wrote:
ICEknight wrote:

As far as I was aware, a GSF set for Gunstar Super Heroes was not ripped until the February that rolled by a few months ago. I spent a bit of time searching for any indication (other than the first batch of previews) that people knew about these Sega arrangements being in the game, and I couldn't find anything.

If you have any more information, I'd really appreciate you posting it here.

I think this was originally found at the old Sonic Cult forums, but I can't find much about it, either. I guess the posts might have been deleted since one of the many forum facelifts.

The oldest mention I could find referencing this discovery was from January 1, 2006:
Neo wrote:

There are also hidden songs in the game too like the original Golden Axe, Alterted Beast and another game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: