Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

Super Double Dragon: "Director's Cut?" (Updated)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Super Double Dragon: "Director's Cut?" (Updated) Reply with quote

I always thought this was quite an underrated beat-em-up during the 16-bit era. Sure it didn't have the flashiness of Streets of Rage nor the large-size characters from Final Fight, but I loved how the game focused more on strategy and martial arts moves (especially the parry move). However, the game always felt quite underwhelming compared to those two and even the last two Double Dragon games for the NES. Even after playing the slightly more-complete Japanese version of the game, it still felt like something was missing.

While fooling around with a save state editor, I discovered some unused graphics and text within the ROM (such as a face shots of the Lee brothers and a bad guy and a fire background). Unfortunately, the background graphics encrypted in the ROM, with no possible way to view them in any of the current tile viewer. It's only when they're loaded to the SNES's RAM where they can be viewed.

Game Kommander revealed a few days ago the full extend of the game's butchering with an interview with planner Muneki Ebinuma. Apparently Super Double Dragon was supposed to be a more ambitious productwith an actual plot (including a full ending) and more stages (and music to go along). Sadly they rushed out game for several undisclosed reasons and the released game is only a shallow version of what could've been.

Anywan, I was wondering whether it was possible to restore the missing scenes back to the game through ROM hacking. Or at least find a way to break the encryption and extract the background images from the ROM.

Last edited by Johnny Undaunted on Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Poor Super Double Dragon... Reply with quote

I remember sorta beating this game with my friend. The number of moves was staggering(well at least for the time). Is there anyway to find an english version of that interview? I would really like to know what the original version looked like.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there anyway to find an english version of that interview?

Stay tuned to the Double Dragon Dojo to get the whole dirt. I worked with the webmaster of Game Kommander to ensure a complete and faithful translation of Mr. Ebinuma's commentary. Hopefully with the translation, more people will care more about this thread to respond to it.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Good Job Reply with quote

Keep up the good work, I really want to see that interview when it comes up. Thanks
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: It's Up!! Reply with quote

Check it out!

http://www.classicgaming.com/doubledragon/ebinuma.htm
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: That's quite different Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot different then the version I remember. Sounds a lot harder then the one that was released. The funny thing about Double Dragon is almost every version is different then the other.

I mean look at the differences between the arcade and console versions of DD1, DD2 and DD3. Thanks for the interview.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. The ending of the game always seemed really cheap to me.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now.

If they remade Super Double Dragon for the GBA and used this storyline, then I'd be VERY happy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: That's quite different Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
I mean look at the differences between the arcade and console versions of DD1, DD2 and DD3.

Well, the Arcade version of DD1 and DD2 were quite similar since they were built on the same engine (the only real difference was the left/right attack system) and had pretty much the same stages and enemies (only Burnov, Abore and Chin were really new. Oharra was just a head-swapped Abobo), but DD3 was made by an outside company Technos contracted (East Technology), which is why it turned out the way it was.

DD2 on the NES was my first Double Dragon game I've purchased and it has a lot of memories for me. I was always more partial to it than the Arcade version. Maybe it's the ending, but the NES version always felt more like a true sequel to me than the Arcade version (which felt more like a rehash). DD3 on the NES was definitely better than the mess ET made for the Arcades and quite underrated.

I really love Double Dragon Advance and how it combined gameplay aspect from various of the earlier DD games rolled up into one (it even has a Chinatown and Truck stage similar to Super DD). It's hard to imagine how a Super DD remake/port on the GBA would be feasible after DDA (which was quite an amazing remake). It would be up to Ebinuma-san whether to remake Super DD or not.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: DD2 and DD3 Reply with quote

I get that DD2 and 3 on the NES were the best versions of those games. DD3 was very hard, I got upto the last "girl" a couple of times, but I never beat her.

I suppose you could do Super DD on GBA, but you would have to trim resolution a bit, but I think it could be done. At least it could be done with more then a screen of text for an ending. Is there a US release of the Neo-Geo DD on the PSX?
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said it was impossible, it's just that DDA kinda made Super DD feel abit archaic to me. They really have to update Super DD a lot if they want to market it as a sequel to DDA. They could also do a compilation containing the Arcade and Famicom games, plus the Director's Cut of Super Double Dragon.

BTW, does this thread deserves to be at the Lost Treasure board? Or is it fine here? While Super Double Dragon was released after all, it's not exactly the developers' ideal version of the game.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but Double Dragon '95 (the "proper" title of the Neo-Geo installment) was released for the PS, but only in Japan. It was done by a company named Urban Plant, who bought the intellectual rights for Gowcaizer after Technos Japan went out of business.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Dragon '95. Ick. I love the game but that title is dumb, Johnny. :P Just call it Double Dragon, like the rest of the world. ;p

I played the PSX version of Double Dragon, and it was fine for what it was. I remember pausing and pressing a random button, turning Billy Lee into a midget! I really wish I could snag a copy of the game sometime.

That, and the soundtrack. *sighs*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. The title only appears in the ending credits of the home version, so it's sort of an semi-official title. I have to call it something to distinguish from the original game.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article made me sad. All that interesting stuff, never making it to the final. I hope a GBA remake is considered someday, as this game sounds like it needs a director's cut badly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: