Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

Nuvision: Bean Ball Benny, Guardian Angels, Swamp Thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Nuvision: Bean Ball Benny, Guardian Angels, Swamp Thing Reply with quote

I have two old CES flyers from a publisher called Nuvision, for the Sega Genesis games Bean Ball Benny and Bimini Run:

Bimini Run came out, but Bean Ball Benny did not. Apparently it was a game about driving a taxi and throwing baseballs at dudes. Here are screenshots from the flyer:

Nuvision also announced two other titles, Swamp Thing (based on the comic book) and Guardian Angels (based on the real life citizen vigilante squad that runs around in red hats and makes citizen's arrests). Here are screenshots of Swamp Thing, also scanned by me, from EGM:

And here's the press release for Guardian Angels, which we've had a thread on before, but that was a long time ago:

Quote:
Nuvision, Angels team up for video game. (Nuvision Entertainment Inc.; The Guardian Angels, crime stopping group) (Brief Article)

Article from:
Playthings
Article date:
August 1, 1991

Nuvision, Angels team up for video game

NEW YORK -- Nuvision Entertainment and the New York City-based crime stopping group, The Guardian Angels, have joined forces creatively to design a new video game for the 16-bit Sega Genesis system.

"Curtis and Lisa Sliwa and The Angels will have direct input into the creation and design of the gameplay," said Nuvision president Ronald D. Leong.

The game will be ready for market by the first quarter of 1992 and is designed solely around the citizen's security force founded by Curtis Sliwa in New York in 1979, which now patrols and defends crime-ridden neighborhoods in 67 cities nationwide.

In the game, set in the 21st century, the player uses silent blitz raids, unique defensive techniques, and "awesome" martial arts to clean up a city ridden with crime, while deciding how many Angels will go on security patrol, on which blocks and which streets.

Finally, here is a GDRI interview with Charlie Heaths, formerly of Microsmiths, which developed Nuvision's games. The developer of Guardian Angels (if there ever was one) is still unknown, though the interview brings up the possibility that it was a recycled version of Bean Ball Benny.

OK, there. This one post is now the single most comprehensive resource on Nuvision ever.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought some of you would like to know that Matt and I have released the ROM for Swamp Thing (free of charge!) to everyone over on the brand new Sega site; SegaAge!

http://www.segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=49&threadid=41542

Take a peak, have a download, and enjoy the new site Smile
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't expecting either of those Nuvision protos to be released, so this is a surprise. Thanks. I'll have to give the game a try later. Even in an incomplete form I can't imagine this being worse than Swamp Thing for the Nes.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
I wasn't expecting either of those Nuvision protos to be released, so this is a surprise. Thanks. I'll have to give the game a try later. Even in an incomplete form I can't imagine this being worse than Swamp Thing for the Nes.

It's definitely not an amazing game by any stretch of the imagination, but it blows the NES version out of the water. Simpson's game engine on the NES? No thanks, I'll pass...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: