Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:57 am

Donkey Kong Original Edition
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Donkey Kong Original Edition Reply with quote

Most of you are probably aware of the red Wii consoles Nintendo released for Super Mario Bros' 25th anniversary. The European release is very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeXz_R8WLYI&feature=player_embedded

Its the Nes version of Donkey Kong again, but with one pretty major addition. The cement level being included.

So why is this so interesting? Well Sardius covered this already on his blog. Basically this version of Donkey Kong is very likely a rereleased version that Nintendo intended to release in Europe years ago, possibly alongside that classic version of Mario Bros with the arcade scenes put back in.

So what we have here is Nintendo actually releasing (commercially) an old unreleased game of theirs to the public. Does this mean we might get Donkey Kong Music, Return of Donkey Kong, Star Fox 2 and whatever else you can think of for the Virtual Console?

....um no. Probably not. Still savor this moment. It might not happen again. (Anytime soon at least.)
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cement? PIE.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this came out of nowhere. Now I'm curious as to where they found it and when it was programmed.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo's archives seem to be in good order, judging from their SimCity NES writeup or the port of Mother 1 to GBA with the source improvements from the canned English version. They just don't usually give outsiders an idea of what they have.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't get Nintendo's constant refusal to re-release the Arcade version of Donkey Kong, now to the extent of releasing a prototype that nobody knew about.

...Which is awesome, on the other hand.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
I still don't get Nintendo's constant refusal to re-release the Arcade version of Donkey Kong, now to the extent of releasing a prototype that nobody knew about.

...Which is awesome, on the other hand.

I've always assumed that GDRI's explanation that the original contractor suing for and winning the rights to the arcade version seemed to make enough sense as to why Nintendo's introduced an arcade emulation service with none of the arcade classics that made them as a video game company. I just wish that they at least put out the arcade version of Mario Bros. on the VCA (fingers crossed that MB didn't reuse source code the way that DK Jr. did). Though if all of this Ikegami Tsushinki stuff is correct, we do have the DK programmers' work present on the VCA in Zaxxon.
LocalH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the DK arcade game in DK64 an emulation or a remake? AS FAR AS I KNOW, that's the only time that Nintendo has actually repurposed the original arcade game.
Asaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Donkey Kong Original Edition Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
...that classic version of Mario Bros with the arcade scenes put back in.

Holy cats, I had no idea this even existed. I'm playing it and I can't understand why the heck Nintendo keeps re-releasing the awful original version instead Mad

Is there anything else like this out there that I should know about? I don't really know too much about PAL NES games, aside from the infamous unreleased ones like Mr. Gimmick and what not.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Clu Clu Land was upgraded for the Disk System release, is that the kind of thing you're asking about? There are some semi-interesting PAL-only games but the redone Mario Bros. is the only remake/first party thing.
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the FDS version has the VS. version levels (the cart version's appear to be different), as well as an "expert" version (from just trying the first level, it appears to be different in that you need to find the jewels quickly, or they'll stop flashing and become de-activated (and you'll have to tap them again).

I recall some time ago reading that Clu-Clu Land was developed as an arcade game, but at a test site, only three people played it.
I think it was an interview in an official Nintendo publication, but I can't remember where.
(I'm guessed they meant a non-VS version, because that would suggest they canceled it.)
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been spending the last few days reading how to inject (and conversely rip) VC games, as well as how to backup a Wii's NAND memory. Sadly, I learned little. However, I do think, considering all the available VC titles that are released on the day of release, there must be a way to pull the game data from this (and Super Mario 25.) The toughest parts would be to save up the funds, import a PAL Wii, and get it into the hands of capable hackers.

Considering how VC injections work, the data hiding in there IS, without a doubt, an iNES format game ROM.

The part I found most interesting is that DK Original is seemingly NTSC. Why else would the video run slow? For comparison, boot up an original NTSC DK rom in your favorite emulator, and set it to PAL emulation. Now compare the result to the video.

Alternately, has anyone scanned the CHR data in an original DK rom, or even for S&G's, the FDS version?
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it runs slow because pal roms run at 50hz versus ntsc 60hz.

and, I wouldn't be surprised if a group winds up releasing it eventually
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised. One of the things I'd like to do on TCRF was comparisons with VC versions (some of them are edited). I have a VC dump of SMRPG, so it's not impossible. It's just that nobody seems to know how to do it well.

(If you're curious, all the samples are gone.)
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurai wrote:
I assume it runs slow because pal roms run at 50hz versus ntsc 60hz.

Unoptimized NTSC games run slow on PAL systems, because they should be running @ 60Hz. It's like running PAL games here.They play fast with pitched up music b/c they're running 10Hz faster.

US gamers had the same, or rather inverse, issue recently when Ufouria came to the VC. We got the PAL version running on an NTSC emulator, so it played faster than intended.
Lupin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, the ROM's been snagged and is out there. I was just playing it on the Wii's port of FCE Ultra and it had a couple of very small glitches/hiccups (one screen jump and afterward the screen had a small chunk missing from the picture near Pauline). Other than that, it runs like a champ like the NTSC Donkey Kong does.

I'm happy to share it, but I'm not sure what the rules are on here for distribution of a newer ROM like that. Private Messages only? Or does nobody care if I just toss up a link?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No direct links here, but I don't mind a link to somewhere else that might have it (and no I don't mean directly to a file-sharing service, I mean another forum/blog/etc.).
Lupin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a forum that has the game posted. I don't know if it'll be there forever, though:
http://www.lupinthethird.net/forums/index.php?topic=1492.0
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it's time to pick and poke away at it and compare it to the 1983 NES release.
Jurai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link Lupin. how hard would it be to wire an eprom copy into an old dk board?
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to use a different board if Nintendo's story about the game being too large with all four stages was true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: