Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

Jumping Over The Flagpole On Stage 1 in Super Mario Bros
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nensondubois

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Jumping Over The Flagpole On Stage 1 in Super Mario Bros Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzlmNdP-ApU

Pretty crazy how someone discovered this 25 years later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gamegeezer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody had plenty of spare time...
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamegeezer wrote:

This always seems like such a cynical response when someone does something cool. "Hey, I could have done this too, if all I had to do with my time was play SMB all day!" I think it's awesome that a 25-year old game can still turn up surprises, and that it captivated a generation to the extent that those surprises are still interesting to folks.
BFC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one

this reminds me on something. Long time ago when I still went to school I discovered a trick in Super Mario Land which let you skip the first boss Totomesu. It was published in our school mag but I'm not sure it is generally known. Didn't find anything about it by a quick look.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah! That's Mike Matei from Cinemassacre.com/ Angry Video Game Nerd. Pretty sweet. I've been a big fan of those guys for years,and it's great to see them release the trick.
BFC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say this video is crazy. How do you ever think of something like this?

I did a video as well for that Mario Land thing. Anyone who remembers this trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmoQfLW8k34
gamegeezer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
gamegeezer wrote:

This always seems like such a cynical response when someone does something cool. "Hey, I could have done this too, if all I had to do with my time was play SMB all day!" I think it's awesome that a 25-year old game can still turn up surprises, and that it captivated a generation to the extent that those surprises are still interesting to folks.

Cynicism and sarcasm are different. I think it's brilliant, and interesting, but it would take a lot of mucking about to figure out that it's possible. I figure that it was an expected glitch after figuring out that you can trap an enemy below the bricks, and then jump on it in the air. It comes down to planning, and some people have time to play with this sort of thing to achieve that kind of weirdness.

As I recall, the sequel (SMB2 FDS) had extra code to 'catch' the player so that you can't do this, except in expected areas. Otherwise, Luigi would jump it all the time.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamegeezer wrote:
As I recall, the sequel (SMB2 FDS) had extra code to 'catch' the player so that you can't do this, except in expected areas. Otherwise, Luigi would jump it all the time.

SMB2J also stops the screen from scrolling, IIRC.

Honestly, this was a pretty stupid oversight in SMB1, even if you were never supposed to be able to jump the flagpole.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
gamegeezer wrote:

Honestly, this was a pretty stupid oversight in SMB1, even if you were never supposed to be able to jump the flagpole.

Hey y'know, anemic code, that whole game's gotta fit within 40k. Those turtles have wings on them instead of being separate bird characters with different sprites for a reason! (Unless I'm mistaken about the nature of your NES CHR and your PRG, and this wouldn't realistically make any difference?)
gamegeezer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
gamegeezer wrote:

It may have been another of those scrapped ideas. 'New Strange SMB' makes interesting use of the glitch. They may have considered alternate exits/secret exits even then; e.g. the Warp Zones may have been planned to be past the pole in certain stages. Pure speculation, but it seems logical.

On the other hand 'SMB' is well-known for loose code and code holes; e.g. 256-W/

I don't recall SMB2 stopping scrolling though. It 'catches' you in mid-air and forces you to hit the top of the pole, nomatter your height, then drops you down.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little skeptical before I watched the video. However, the fact that he did this on Level 1-1, on actual hardware with no Game Genie codes, and through a novel exploit? Pretty incredible- I'm impressed!
Ethane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear fat kid who lived down the block:

I was wrong, as it turns out, you can jump over the flag pole. It's just that I still think you never managed it, or the bit about how the most mind-blowing monsters and level design awaited you past the castle and over the pipe. Or your excuse that Nintendo threatened legal action if you revealed to the rest of us kids on how you did it.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethane wrote:
Dear fat kid who lived down the block:

I was wrong, as it turns out, you can jump over the flag pole. It's just that I still think you never managed it, or the bit about how the most mind-blowing monsters and level design awaited you past the castle and over the pipe. Or your excuse that Nintendo threatened legal action if you revealed to the rest of us kids on how you did it.

I remember that kid. I still hate him for all the time I spent trying that "play as Goro" code.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where is the YouTube video showing us how to get to the chocolate factory in SMB, or how to get the Elephant Suit in Mario 3?
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down my block it was a jerk from one grade up named Ali, who would dole out little hints about where things were in Zelda's 2nd quest, but gasp and slowly wheeze out every word as if he were dying, all on purpose, of course.
Ethane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite story from the fat kid down the street was, coincidentally, another trick in SMB that turned out to be true. Nintendo Fun Club news even discussed this trick, but in an early issue, and only the most privileged kids had access to such terrible and powerful knowledge so the rest of us eventually considered it legend too.

It was the small fiery Mario glitch/trick. Of course, thanks to fat kid, it evolved from a curious glitch into the fantastic, where the screen would cryptically announce YOU NOW HAVE THE SPELL OF MARIO. "The Spell of Mario." Don't ask me if he came up with that himself or where he got it from, but for wide-eyed kids like me, we tried to achieve this and never got anywhere.

I wonder where Fat Kid is today. Probably working for the Enquirer.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading the small and fiery trick on the back of a lenticular motion Mario card that came in my Cookie Crisp.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every kid in the pre-internet age had a friend like that. I remember a friend of mine insisted that you could get to the Wind Fish early in Link's Awakening by finding a hidden hammer and smashing into the egg instead of finding the rest of the instruments. He lied about all kinds of stuff though, so I don't know that I really believed him.

I also remember another friend (the same guy?) insisting that you could find an entrance to Hidden Palace hidden somewhere in Mystic Cave Zone in Sonic 2. I think that was sparked by a GamePro letter where someone asked about the screenshot they saw of it before the game came out.
goldenband

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I had a friend like that too, back in 2nd grade or so. He claimed that if you reached Level 22 (IIRC) in VCS Q*bert, Ugg would finally show up. I'm not sure why I found the prospect of dealing with a complete pain-in-the-ass enemy appealing, but I did.

So, after a bunch of attempts, I made it to Level 22...and no Ugg. My friend made up some lame excuse.
Nosuch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're all chiming in on this theme, I had a friend like that as well. The main one I remember is his claim that, if you beat River City Ransom and reset afterwards, the next game will start with a bus crashing into the first area and then a new, even tougher gang will emerge from it.

It seems like I tried to pull the same thing on him as well one time, but if I did, I don't remember what it was that I had made up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: