Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:05 am

Capcom brochure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Capcom brochure Reply with quote

I saw this site mentioned on the Tiny Cartridge blog. http://video-game-ephemera.com/

It has a lot of very interesting material. Mostly old documents and flyers. The most interesting to me was this Capcom flyer he scanned.

http://video-game-ephemera.com/003.htm

On page 4 you can see a screenshot of the Nes version of Black Tiger. It looks quite different from the fuzzy screenshot of the game that's been floating around, and a lot clearer too.

The 5th page is also interesting in that it advertises an Nes version of Street Fighter, the original. (No screenshots though.) Titan Warriors is also on that page, along with the artwork that likely would've adorned the box/cart had it been released. And yes once again a screenshot of the arcade Bionic Commando is being used for the Nes version.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty awesome! I love the old Capcom red & blue grid boxes.

The screenshot for Mega Man is also from a proto version.
link: http://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/FC__1987Q4.html#rockman
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We knew about Street Fighter from a list of upcoming games in Electronic Game Player, but this proves that it was based on the original and not a working title for 2010. Hooray, mystery solved.

Hey, this is Chris Bieniek, from VG&CE/Tips 'N Tricks! He's interested in turning this website into a paid column for a video game publication! I work for one of those!
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black f'n Tiger!!!

Btw, that Willow screenshot is quite life-like.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, there's a lot of unreleased PC games on inserts 2 and 3. Can't find any record of them being officially released, anyway. A bunch of them (Stocker, Sarge, Street Football, Mini Golf, Hat Trick) are ports of old Bally Sente arcade games.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Gun.Smoke for the NES actually was released with two cover variaions. As soon as I noticed that, I checked ebay and while less common, the cover art on that page was used.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sardius wrote:
Whoa, there's a lot of unreleased PC games on inserts 2 and 3. Can't find any record of them being officially released, anyway. A bunch of them (Stocker, Sarge, Street Football, Mini Golf, Hat Trick) are ports of old Bally Sente arcade games.

A lot of those were released. I had to look them up when I was researching the company that did a lot of those conversions.

I didn't know about Street Football before, but it apparently was released.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Capcom brochure Reply with quote

This site is amazing. Too bad the links for the Crystalis guide book are down.

Edit: Oh hey, it's fixed now. It's funny how the guide is matter-of-fact writing except for a snipe at the Amazone queen.

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
And yes once again a screenshot of the arcade Bionic Commando is being used for the Nes version.

Is it just me, or did they do the same thing for Ghosts 'N Goblins? That screen looks way too detailed for the NES game.

Last edited by Kid Fenris on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still going through the 52-page World of Nintendo retailer booklet from 1990, but there's some "new" stuff in here. I had no idea INTV was bringing the Intellivision game Night Stalker to Game Boy (along with something called Fastrack).
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you read between the lines a little, it looks like Meldac's unreleased game Samurai Conflict was going to be compatible with the Power Glove.

Last edited by TheRedEye on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other notes:

This booklet is the first confirmation we have other than an unattributed mention in the Digital Press guide for In Your Face (Jaleco, NES).

Rival Rollers (also Jaleco, NES) is probably a working title for War on Wheels - also unreleased.

EDIT: Rival Rollers was trademarked April 1990, War on Wheels just three months later.

Last edited by TheRedEye on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asuka Technologies is listed as the publisher of Cosmo Tank, which was published by Atlus. It even has an address in Irvine, the same city as Atlus. Wonder what's up there?

Edit: Milton Bradley is listed as publisher of Jordan vs. Bird for Game Boy. I'm guessing this was licensed from EA before EA decided to start publishing for consoles itself, though EA didn't publish this game until 1992, so this might have been an entirely different port.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few references to Asuka Technologies being a scanner manufacturer/distributor (eg here and here), but they were also the first to register the Atlus trademark in the US.. maybe Atlus Japan planned to use an already established electronics company for US distribution before opening an office of their own?
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Capcom brochure Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
Is it just me, or did they do the same thing for Ghosts 'N Goblins? That screen looks way too detailed for the NES game.

Yeah that's definitely from the arcade Ghosts 'N Goblins. If I remember correctly, Capcom actually used that shot on the back of the actual retail box. Talk about false advertising.
GDRI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Capcom brochure Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
And yes once again a screenshot of the arcade Bionic Commando is being used for the Nes version.

And yet it says "screen shot from N.E.S." (on insert 2).

TheRedEye wrote:
Asuka Technologies is listed as the publisher of Cosmo Tank, which was published by Atlus. It even has an address in Irvine, the same city as Atlus. Wonder what's up there?

John Yamamoto is listed as the contact person. He was the head of Atlus USA.

Asuka Technologies had the same address as Atlus Software, so I can only conclude that Asuka Technologies became Atlus Software (now Atlus USA).

You can see Asuka on the back of the CosmoTank box.

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Yeah that's definitely from the arcade Ghosts 'N Goblins. If I remember correctly, Capcom actually used that shot on the back of the actual retail box. Talk about false advertising.

Also the PC and C64 boxes (and C64 Gun.Smoke).
Celine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely site.
Didn't know that VG&CE had the exclusivity of 3DO unveiling.
Maybe he can shed some light on Scorched Earth and World Building Inc.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The World of Nintendo brochure also has something interesting from Capcom. On page 10, their upcoming games list has an entry named "Lord of Lightning". What could it possibly be? I can't think of any FC game that could possibly match it, other than perhaps Destiny of an Emperor... or Titan Warriors, but that's a stretch.

It seems this brochure was published in mid-1990, since games like Rescue Rangers and Magic Kingdom were listed as "available" but "Litte [sic] Nemo", "Noid Game", and "Megan [sic] Man 3" were still marked as "coming in 1990.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
"Megan [sic] Man 3"

That's not a [sic], that was one of the in-development names of The Krion Conquest.

(sarcasm)
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or does the screen of 'Mickey Mouse' remind anyone else of Adventure Island?!
gilbert cheung

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's developed by Hudson Soft, there is no surprise, but judging from the screenshots of the released game it does play quite a bit differently from the Boukenjima/Advanture Island games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: