Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 am

Jumping Over The Flagpole On Stage 1 in Super Mario Bros
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
I remember that kid. I still hate him for all the time I spent trying that "play as Goro" code.

Possible on GameBoy. Why GameBoy only and not the other versions? No idea.

A few that kid from my childhood told me:

- You can find a golden axe in DuckTales on the moon after calling Gizmo Duck.

- Drive a car in Super Mario 3 (This was when it just came out)

- Some secret ending for Blanka on the original SF2 that ties into the origin story used in the Van Damme movie via some crazy ass code.

- Hidden 2nd Player option on Snake's Revenge. The 2nd player controlled Grey Wolf.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day there was a kid in class who came into school talking about this magic "Ghost Ship" in SMB3 that was filled with nothing but coins that showed up in the middle of his game. Everyone, of course, called him a liar and thought he made it up. Only years later did I realize it was real.

On a somewhat related note, at the Midwest Gaming Classic last year I made a sign that said "Left Handed Power Glove $50" Then crossed out the $50 and wrote Sold Out... I saw a couple people take pictures of the sign.
lierxagerate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Also Gogo is Daryl Reply with quote

No way man you can totally revive General Leo, my friend DID IT.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Also Gogo is Daryl Reply with quote

lierxagerate wrote:
No way man you can totally revive General Leo, my friend DID IT.

For what it's worth, via a Game Genie code (some weird character change thing involving some move of Gau's or Mog's or something from the old Game Genie Code Creators Club), I had a resurrected Rachel in my party running around kicking ass, though with a *slightly* glitched palette and her sprites in battle were glitched out completely. Granted, I also briefly had a little villager kid in my party and then a bird, but no matter. I do recall that code or one like it being able to stick Leo in your party whenever you wanted, though.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole General Leo thing could be partially blamed on Square. There's an NPC in Balanced World Vector that talks about an item that can resurrect people from the dead. I have no idea if this was a mistranslation or not. To be honest, the only major mistranslation of Woosley's I know of that WASN'T a censorship/culture clash/unfixable gender pronoun issue is a line from Setzer ("The Empire made me a rich man" instead of something along the lines of "Business has been bad because of the Empire").

Before the days of me having online access as a kid, I called Square and asked about this. The representative I spoke to said "The guy in Vector gives a false hint, Leo cannot be resurrected." The Square rep could have overlooked the possibility that the NPC might have been referring to the Phoenix Magicite, which brought back Rachel in-story for like two minutes, so this may not be the case.

Anyways, FF3 SNES was a blast to tinker around using a Game Genie. I traded mine away to my cousin for a copy of FF2 SNES before FF3 (stores stopped carrying FF2 by that time), and when we both got FF3 for Christmas after release, he showed me all the weird Kefka/Leo-recruiting and random glitchy attacks, as well as the dummied-out "Summon" command. He always replaced Terra's Morph command with Leo's Shock. Gotta say, it was a lot more efficient, as Morph only worked well a quarter of the time.

I still don't regret trading in my Game Genie for FF2 though. Still have it, though it's the only one of my battery back-up carts that probably needs a battery replacement. (Not sure if I will, I own FF Chronicles on PS1 as well as all the cart-based SFC FF's)
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, after being absolutely positively fascinated by my friends' copies of FF2, and coming down on the side of "well this one is a new! Final Fantasy game" when deciding to get either FF2 or Final Fantasy Mystic Quest at Software Etc., I wound up actually getting FF2 from a pawn shop in a different state after it was out of production. And proceeded to get FF3 for the full $80 (out of my own 10 year old pocket!)

Of course, now it's all rendered moot with the knowledge that it's the censored version, it's missing moves and items, the translation sucks, etc. etc. etc. to the extent where reviewers are turning up their noses at the Virtual Console re-release in favor of a version with a downgraded soundtrack on the GBA, where it's probably still partially censored.
nensondubois

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad one can't pull the same trick in hard mode with a Buzzy Beetle since turtles are the only enemy to jump up when they recover.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:

I remember that kid. I still hate him for all the time I spent trying that "play as Goro" code.

Haha... that reminds me of a certain incident from years ago.

When I was in high school, this guy I knew who also played Mortal Kombat was telling me about a mysterious character hidden deep within the game. He said his friend knew how to unlock him. I asked him how it was done, and he said he'd get me the info. The next week, he showed up to class one day with a B&W fanzine (published by said friend, with his dot matrix printer). This fanzine included the secret to provoke the enigmatic Nimbus Terrafaux into a fight.

Naturally, the method to draw him out was epic nonsense... it was something like playing through on the hardest difficulty without getting hit, uppercutting an opponent into the pit, and then Reptile has to appear and say "Look to La Luna", during which you must input a complex button sequence to make Nimbus jump down and kick Reptile away.

I had been excited up until I read the 'zine, and realized there was about a 99% chance it was complete bullcrap. Even if it WASN'T, it was so difficult to attempt that it wasn't worth the loss of sanity.

Shortly thereafter, I put Nimbus to the back of my mind. Until a few months later, when EGM ran a sideline article showing pictures of Nimbus Terrafaux in battle and the "Test Your Might" bonus round that a reader sent in on a 3.5" floppy disk. It reignited the whole thing in my mind, and I again wondered if perhaps he COULD be real, and the method to reach him was incredibly obscure and distorted.

Of course, time proved that he wasn't real after all. Questions still linger though... why did the fanzine author know about the hoax so far in advance of EGM? Did my friend actually write the fanzine himself? Was he also the perpetrator of the EGM hoax? Or did someone pick up his idea, and run the whole nine yards with it to make actual mockups? Not many people had access to the kind of technology needed to produce a convincing fake screenshot in the early nineties... why go to such great lengths? Maybe EGM caught wind of the hoax, and made the mockups THEMSELVES, just to toy with the readers?

I wish I still had that fanzine.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Nimbus Terrafaux. How did that sort of BS travel so well between different kids in different schools in different states when we didn't have internets?
Ethane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schoolyard Underground, man. It's always surprising to find out those wild tales you heard by the swing set have a possible grain of truth to them. The most bullshit one I heard, though, was how one kid claimed his cousin came up with all the robot bosses for Mega Man 2 and sent it into Capcom and Capcom made the game without credit or payment to the prodigy. Ah, well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: