Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 am

Waaait a second... Mr. Gimmick (NES) came out in the USA!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there also a puzzle that was drastically different in the version? I recall reading in some strategy magazine that it caused quite the hassle for some readers who tried to do it their way and that it always resulted in failure.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I said it was their policy. I didn't say they stuck by it!

-Rob
joshnickerson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually... it is now... sort of.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=105
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sushi-X gave Mr. Gimmick a 4? What an asshole!
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnikkaman_lackey wrote:
Wasn't there also a puzzle that was drastically different in the version? I recall reading in some strategy magazine that it caused quite the hassle for some readers who tried to do it their way and that it always resulted in failure.

I know this is an old post, but I noticed it today with the recent bump. (P.S. Seriously, who WOULD give Mr. Gimmick a 4? That's like videogame sacrilege.)

Yeah, there were some major problems with certain strategy guides for Resident Evil. I distinctly remember that the issue of GameFan with the first part of the strategy guide for Resident Evil was completely wrong. The screenshots featured items in bizarre places, and displayed puzzles having different solutions.

It was baffling for anyone who had the game- it didn't take you long to figure out they reviewed a different build. I think GameFan printed an apology in the next issue.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that when this game was supposed to be release, it was near the end of the NES' twilight years, and EGM had a habit of favoring 16-bit games over 8-bit titles, no matter how fun the 8-bit titles were. Whichever Sushi-X that was (Ken Levine?) also complained in every GameBoy game review how Nintendo needed to make a color portable. And look at how long that thing remained monochrome until the GBC came out.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to bump this thread, cause Kurt Kulata of Hardcore Gaming posted a scan of the Gimmick EGM review. Now we can finally see the context for their scores.

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/08/mr-gimmick-review-in-egm-july-1992.html

Of the reviewers, the Ed guy seems to be the only one that actually played it. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but as you read these reviews, you'll seriously wonder if they based their reviews entirely on screenshots.

Steve: "Here's a game with a cool theme that could have been explored in a hundred different ways. Instead it's a repetitive attempt at the action genre with difficult that is obviously geared to the wee sprites. Kids games don't have to be completely lacking, however, and more time could made this one a winner. 5"

I don't really know what to say here.

Martin: "Mr. Gimmick has a few cool options to the game play and the cute theme will attract younger players. I can't get excited about moving a little booger around the screen though. The graphics are OK and the sounds are decent but other that that [sic] the game play is very simple and needs more variety. Not bad, but not great. 5"

The graphics are merely "OK". I guess cause they aren't 16-bit they don't look impressive at all.

Sushi-X: "Mr. Gimmick is one of those games that the kiddies can relate to. The levels are nicely detailed for a NES game but with only five levels the variety just isn't there. The music is kind of catchy but wears this after a while. The game plays rather well however. The score would have been higher if it wasn't so easy. 4"

Seriously Sushi? Are we playing the same game? If Gimmick really is such an easy game, I sure was fooled. Or maybe he played a proto with invincibility turned on. Assuming he played the game at all that is.

Anybody know who the "Sushi-X" was at the time?
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite capsule review is still GameFan's take on Primal Rage.

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Anybody know who the "Sushi-X" was at the time?

Probably Ken Williams, who was Sushi-X for most of the 90s. David Siller was the original, but I don't think he was at EGM for very long.

I'd like to know who was behind Ed Semrad's review. It's said that most of his opinions were ghost-written.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
I'd like to know who was behind Ed Semrad's review. It's said that most of his opinions were ghost-written.

Before he passed away, "Cyberboy" Andrew Baran had indicated on his 1UP profile that he ghost-written if not all but most of Ed's reviews.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off-topic, can someone collect here, or point out, a list of blogs, stories, confessions from former employees of EGM back in the '90s?

This, for example: http://blog.radd.tv/2011/01/my-time-at-sendai-former-egm-editor.html

I love hearing the dirt about Ed Semrad or underhanded EGM in general :wink:
Evan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
My favorite capsule review is still GameFan's take on Primal Rage.

Looks like the editor at Gamefan was out to lunch for that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: