Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:14 pm

Chronological list of Game Boy games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
Love Revenge of the Gator. HAL's spiritual prequel to Kirby's Pinball Land, it is.

Spiritual PREDECESSOR. A prequel is something released after, but taking place before, something.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why the Game Boy didn't sell that well until Pokémon was because most of its games were just downgraded versions of home console games. Sure, some of the portable versions were pretty good and there were quite a few original games that were worth checking out, but let's be honest here, wouldn't had stuff like Metroid II and Kid Icarus of Myth & Monsters been cooler if they were released on the NES, competing with the likes of Ninja Gaiden II and Castlevania III, instead of a platform with a puke green display?

At least it puts an end to the myth that the Game Boy obliterated the Game Gear from the get-go. While the Lynx did indeed bombed, the Game Gear was doing almost as well as the Game Boy until Pokemon came along (it sold 11 million units). By that time, Sega already stopped supporting the Game Gear.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love me some Metroid II. Probably because it was the only really good game I had besides Tetris.
Lakmir

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
The reason why the Game Boy didn't sell that well until Pokémon was because most of its games were just downgraded versions of home console games. Sure, some of the portable versions were pretty good and there were quite a few original games that were worth checking out, but let's be honest here, wouldn't had stuff like Metroid II and Kid Icarus of Myth & Monsters been cooler if they were released on the NES, competing with the likes of Ninja Gaiden II and Castlevania III, instead of a platform with a puke green display?

This is exactly my problem with the DS and the PSP. Bastards.
Torchickens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
Getting into the GB library, eh? Here are a few that I recommend: http://www.chrismcovell.com/gbgems.html

And I've been doing a trickle of work on an unfinished page that shows statistically how the GameBoy market started out with a deluge of puzzles, quickly overcame this deficiency and hit its stride, then turned completely to shit under the sheer weight of licensed dreck and Red/Green/Blue/Diamond/Asbestos varieties of the same crap games.

Enjoy your trek!

I don't think that all monster collecting and licensed-character games were 'same crap games', but I agree that the same game, different cartridge scheme ended up perhaps being too repetitive for its own good, as well as shared plot themes, like evil crime organizations.

However, some of these monster-collecting RPGs IMHO were arguably just as innovative the original Pokémon games themselves, not shovelware, and despite some shared traits e.g. evil organizations, same game different carts, many of them had very different plots, game mechanics and could be more compared to JRPGs as a whole, and even if it stressed collecting monsters you could ignore it. It's impossible to get all the monsters in Robopon Sun [via InfraRed] without the Japanese versions anyway because the other versions weren't released outside of Japan.

The concept may be repetitive, but that doesn't mean that the games are shovelware or a complete rip-off of Pokémon. Keitaii Denjuu Telefang for example is frequently praised for its music and gameplay, although regularly disregarded because of it 'copying Pokémon', as well as the pirated games Pokémon Diamond and Jade which had nonsensical 'translations', many glitches, and couldn't even save. The RPG Robotrek has been thought of setting the line for Pokémon in the way that the players battle with their inventions.

I think that maybe the monster-collecting RPGs should be more comparable to card battle games like Nintendo EAD's Trade & Battle: Card Hero and AlphaDream's Koto Battle: Tengai no Moribito which share the same card-game genre but can have very different styles of gameplay, so can't be just categorized as shovelware.

Why does GameFAQs call Chalvo 55 an RPG o_O, did the editor even play the game? (It's actually a puzzle-platformer based off the canceled Virtual Boy game Bound High, which was apparently co-developed by Nintendo and Japan System Supply. Japan System Supply went on to develop Chalvo 55. A prototype of Bound High exists.)
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
but let's be honest here, wouldn't had stuff like Metroid II and Kid Icarus of Myth & Monsters been cooler if they were released on the NES

I didn't have a GameBoy until much later in the system's lifespan (like, 1994 I think), and I never understood why Nintendo didn't release Metroid II on the NES instead. I still haven't played very much of it. As for Kid Icarus of Myths & Monsters (which I owned at one time), that was a pretty short game compared to the original NES game, and it didn't really make any improvements over it's predecessor. Best game I remember owning on the GB was Link's Awakening. You could tell a lot of work was put into that one instead of it just being just a carbon copy of Link to the Past (THE Zelda game at the time).

Maybe I'm just biased because I'm not a huge fan of portables, but I think one thing that really hurt the GameBoy for me was that, as a kid, I rented most of the games I played and all the video rental places on carried console games. Another issue, until the Super Game Boy came along, was not being able to play on the big screen. This is still an issue for me. Last portable I bought was a DS Lite, right after the reveal of the 3DS, and my only reason for buying it was Dragon Quest IX.

"Pokemon syndrome" was/is another turn off. Only Pokemon game I ever bought was the original Blue (or I guess Green, if we're going by Japanese colors), and I felt almost insulted at the marketing strategy. I used a Game Genie just to see what would happen if I caught all the Pokemon (because, you know, I had a life, and I also wasn't about to buy the same game twice), and even then, felt like the "reward" was a total ripoff. Then there were all the other games with two versions... what made those worse is that they were pretty obscure to the mainstream, and not many people I knew that were gamers were going to buy either version.

So yeah, I have mixed feelings about the GameBoy. Even the later versions. Which I somehow got, but never really played compared to my home consoles.
ReyVGM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is already known, but here's a chronological GB/GBC release list

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%83%9C%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A4%E3%81%AE%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88%E3%83%AB%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: