Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 pm

Lost Warld (A Hideo Kojima game)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Lost Warld (A Hideo Kojima game) Reply with quote

I just got my copy of "Metal Gear Solid naked" (it's basically just a collection of Metal Gear-related interviews and essays). It's quite an interesting book, although it was not what I've expected (I was thinking something along the lines of "All About Capcom Fighting Games").

Anyway, between time Kojima worked as an assistant designer for the MSX game, Penguin Adventure (an MSX sequel to Antartic Adventure) and when he created Metal Gear, he was working on another MSX game titled Lost Warld (the Warld part is combination of World with War, not a spelling error). Apparently, it was action game starring a female "Masked Fighter" with an Indiana Jones-theme. Anyway It was rejected by Konami, who told him to make a war game instead and you know the rest.

Anyway, I made this thread to see if someone can come up with any pre-release material of the game. I know for a fact that an MSX magazine run an ad for the game, but other than that, nothing.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be talking to Kojima next week, I'll bring it up.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just love how he casually tosses that into a conversation, kinda like "Yea, I was playing basketball last week and then I won the lottery, and you should have seen the dunk I made. Wow it was great".
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I'll be talking to Kojima next week, I'll bring it up.

Really? You're not shitting me are you? It would be cool if you can get an exclusive with him or something. I'm imagine that you're going to E3, are you?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm not actually interviewing him, but I'll be around FOR an interview, and I'm sure we'll shoot the shit for a bit. Kojima's coo.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Good luck then!
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Nah, I'm not actually interviewing him, but I'll be around FOR an interview, and I'm sure we'll shoot the shit for a bit. Kojima's coo.

Wow, that's just the coolest thing EVAR. Lucky Redeye!

Tell him we'd like to see another game in the Snatcher series! (Or at least to have Policenauts in the US)
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
Tell him we'd like to see another game in the Snatcher series! (Or at least to have Policenauts in the US)

Konami is pretty aware of the demand for a localized Policenauts in the US. The problem is that Kojima doesn't want to do it unless he himself is involved. The reason why they had to cancel the Saturn version was apparently that they couldn't find a way to lip-synch the FMV with the English dubbing (they had a similar problem with the Japanese dialogue when they added the FMV to the console version of the game, since they had to speed up a few of the characters' lines). He said he doesn't want to return to Policenauts since it was a painful experience for him (he spent four years working on the original PC98 version alone and worked exclusively on the subsequent 3DO, PS and Saturn versions during the following two years after that).
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're saying that Kojima doesn't want Policenauts to come to the US unless HE handles it... but he doesn't WANT to do it?

That's, well... selfish.

It'd be nice if he'd stop teasing everyone with Policenauts references in the MGS games then. ^_^
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
So, you're saying that Kojima doesn't want Policenauts to come to the US unless HE handles it... but he doesn't WANT to do it?

That's, well... selfish.

It'd be nice if he'd stop teasing everyone with Policenauts references in the MGS games then. ^_^

Well he fixed that in the GCN port of 'The Twin Snakes' by using footage from 'Zone of the Enders' instead... :(

DT
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:

That's, well... selfish.

Pretty much. He wants to be involved in every. He had a fallout with Jeremy Blaustein, who took a few liberties with the translation of the original MGS. As much as I hate to admit it, but it is his game and is his choice not to localize it.

Oh well, just wait for a translation patch to come out instead.
mrfreeze

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any details on what kind of liberties? Just curious.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meryl was a 30-foot-tall robotic Santa Claus in the original. Other than that, everything was pretty much retained, including the lovey dovey stuff.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
Any details on what kind of liberties? Just curious.

All shitting aside, Blaustein simply took a few liberties with some of the dialogue. The most notable difference is with Mei Ling though. In the Japanese version, she only quoted Chinese proverbs (Blaustein added western proverbs to the localized script).

All in all though, Blaustein took a lot less liberties with MGS than he did with Snatcher, and the liberties he made in Snatcher were neccesary to make the game more marketable in the US ("Judgement Uninfected Naked Kind & Execute Ranger" just doesn't make much sense in English).
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get to talk to Kojima, Tim Rogers and I kind of lost each other on that day. So I played lots and lots of DS instead.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
All shitting aside, Blaustein simply took a few liberties with some of the dialogue. The most notable difference is with Mei Ling though. In the Japanese version, she only quoted Chinese proverbs (Blaustein added western proverbs to the localized script).

All in all though, Blaustein took a lot less liberties with MGS than he did with Snatcher, and the liberties he made in Snatcher were neccesary to make the game more marketable in the US ("Judgement Uninfected Naked Kind & Execute Ranger" just doesn't make much sense in English).

Yeah. Figures. For once, a translator does his job right and the original writer gets pissed.

Sometimes I hate my job too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be clear one thing, Blaustein was only fired because of his work in MGS, not Snatcher (Kojima was barely involved with the Sega CD version since he was doing Policenauts at the time). Even in Snatcher though, he made some weird changes in addition to good ones (the change from whale meat to buffalo meat is one I will never understand).

The English script in MGS wasn't really a direct translation, rather it was more of a localized version of the original Japanese script. I always thought that giving Mei-Ling western proverbs was kinda weird, but some of the other localized lines (like Snake making an analogy to an infomercial in the rappeling scene) weren't so bad.

Twin Snakes had a more direct translation in comparison to the original PS game, although it felt a bit more flat compared to Blaustein's work (it doesn't help matter that the actors clearly didn't want to be working on a game they've technically already worked on).

Too bad RedEye couldn't get in touch with Kojima. Maybe next year.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: So. Reply with quote

How was the DS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: