Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

Anyway to kitbash a DC to broadband?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Anyway to kitbash a DC to broadband? Reply with quote

I know I missed the boat on DC broadband adaptors. Is there any way I can kitbash or jerry-rig a means for my DC to pull a feed from my DSLed lan? I remember hearing something once about using a null modem connection, I think...
nateJC

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I traded my DC for a load of NES games. The modem was fried and I never did get up the resources for a broadband hack. My theory was to unhook the modem, grab a cheap PCMCIA Ethernet card, pop it in the modem slot, clear out the DC's dial-up settings, then attempt to go online. In theory, the DC will recognize that it's already connected and behave accordingly, accessing the Web when you push Start at the browser screen.

The only other thing that might work is if you have one of those PCMCIA Wireless access cards from your cell phone company. You might get away with doing the same thing with it.

Again, I never got the chance to test this theory, so I don't know if it works or if it's crap. If you get it working, I'd love to hear about it.

good luck,
-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nateJC wrote:
stuff

..what? Not a single thing you said really makes any sense to me.. how would you "pop in" an ethernet card? The modem/broadband unit sizes weren't/aren't shaped like anything else on the consumer market?

Clear out the dialup settings and it'll recognize.. what? Seriously, just.. what? I feel like I'm doing front-line dialup tech support all over again and you've just asked if you can see me through the screen, or you can't find the goddamn caps lock key so I have to fax you a drawing with a big goddamn arrow pointed at it, or when I say "JUST TYPE YOUR USERNAME" you try to completely log in.. just.. what?

Like, in all seriousness.. how does a PCMCIA card fit into the Dreamcast's modem slot? Are you saying you're plugging an RJ11 adapter into the phone jack?
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
nateJC wrote:
stuff

..what? Not a single thing you said really makes any sense to me..

Okay, thought it was me. I kinda got some of it. I think he means wiring it from an PC pinout to the DC's version. In unrelated stuff:
Dude, it would be funny if I stuck a TI-94/a's speech synthesiser in that slot. or just kinda faked it so it looked like it was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: