Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 am

Gremlins 2 proto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Gremlins 2 proto Reply with quote

Got a prototype of Gremlins 2 for you guys to check out today.

This particular build is complete, but it still needs a lot of polish. Stage 3 and onward reuse their BGM from stages 1 and 2, and several tracks, like the shop theme, are missing entirely. Most of the cutscenes are gone too, as is the really nice 16x16 font used in the final version:

There are also some debug features still in place: Pressing Select during gameplay skips to the next stage, and pressing Select on the status screen rotates through the various weapons:

In terms of graphics, the main game looks very similar to the retail version, although you'll notice the arenas for the first two battles with Mohawk went through some pretty big changes:

Here's the rom, and I've uploaded scans of the cart and board at bootgod's database. Enjoy!
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks dude!
I thought this was a April Fool's joke, but it's posted April 23rd.

I lose touch sometimes.
etabeta

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gremlins 2 proto Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Here's the rom, and I've uploaded scans of the cart and board at bootgod's database. Enjoy!

thanks a lot both for this proto and for the entries at bootgod's database. I have updated MESS xml software list to reflect the new data.

I'd like to point out, anyway, that in the in the solstice proto page
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=4635
you entered the checksum of the final release...

shouldn't the real proto have crc32=5dc9bc41 (unheadered)?
or is this a different proto cart whose content matches the final release (like e.g. Mr. Gimmick)?
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gremlins 2 proto Reply with quote

etabeta wrote:
I'd like to point out, anyway, that in the in the solstice proto page
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=4635
you entered the checksum of the final release...

shouldn't the real proto have crc32=5dc9bc41 (unheadered)?
or is this a different proto cart whose content matches the final release (like e.g. Mr. Gimmick)?

Yeah, those are different protos. The Solstice proto in bootgod's DB does contain the final version. The one with CRC32 5dc9bc41 came from this cart. I didn't save a scan of the PCB from that copy before I returned it to its owner, so I didn't enter it in the database.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: