Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom [Genesis]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom [Genesis] Reply with quote

I was at a friend's house last night. He had a ton of old gaming magazines and I started to read them because I was bored, and on an old EGM, there was a one-page ad for Lufia and the Fortress of Doom. The page was black, with the game's logo. I thought, "SNES version, hrm." Then I read the lower part and it said "Sega Genesis".

I'd never heard of this at all, and I read in the GoodGEN "Dumps needed" file that there might be a proto around. Did pictures of the game ever surface?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one blurry screenshot from an issue of Video Games. I assume it actually is of the Genesis version because it's from a CES report. I doubt you can tell anything from it, though.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it was fairly close to release, since it was advertised in the magazines pretty heavily and given a release date (December '94).

It seems like I have an issue of EGM around here somewhere with a 2-page feature on the Genesis Lufia, but I haven't the slightest idea which issue it is. I'll look if I get a chance.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The December 1994 Game Players includes a fold-out poster for the Genesis version of Lufia. Oddly enough, it doesn't use any screenshots or artwork. It's just the game's logo against a stormy background.

I'd really like to see that EGM feature, as I've never come across actual shots of the game, or even a decent preview.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it was delayed until Spring 1995 (a later had had December 1994 crossed out with Spring '95 scribbled above it).
"It's worth the wait!"

My only guess is it died when Taito America did, since didn't Taito America close sometime in the earlier part of 1995?
Threeboy
BANNED

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up the SNES version on ebay, i still have yet to play thru it.

was the genesis version a conversion that got scrapped?
ManekiNeko
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah... I remember that advertisement as well. I was only slightly annoyed that it wasn't released for the Genesis, because RPGs were never really a personal favorite of mine. Moreover, Genesis translations of popular Super NES titles were all too often a hollow shell of their Super Nintendo counterparts. I didn't really need to be stuck with a watered-down version of an already lackluster adventure game.

I found Quartermann's rumor that Square was going to design a Genesis game a lot more interesting. I don't know what issue of EGM that was in, or what game they planned to make for the system, but it would have been interesting to see what Square had planned for the system.

JR
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: History.... Reply with quote

Your digging up some history by mentioning Quartermann.

Just remember how long it took for Lufia 3 to come out. It originally was suppose to come out for the N64 and it eventually landed on the GBC.

Of course nothing beats Dragon Warrior 7's gestation period.
SNES -> Saturn -> PSX
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Quartermann. Talk about oldschool.

As far as I know [or as a friend once told me], Lufia III had nothing to do with the original design team, hence why it ended up on the GBC... I played it for a while and I didn't like it.

Regarding Lufia's conversion from SNES to Genesis... I think it could've been pulled off pretty well. The graphics weren't that detailed or colorful, and the music -might- have sounded slightly better on the Genesis if they played their cards right... if I remember the music anyway.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: I have to differ... Reply with quote

The SNES had a far superior sound and graphics system then the Genesis. The game most likely would have taken some damage in the audio/video department.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: I have to differ... Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
The SNES had a far superior sound and graphics system then the Genesis.

Yeah, but you could do some really nice stuff with the Gen's music. Kinda like a more brash, old-school electronic sound, whereas the SNES was better for "real" music. The SNES always marked the difference between "traditional" and "modern" video game music.
Like, "Megaman-type Bleep-Bleeep-wahhndanad" versus FFVI's Opera.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quartermann- ah, yes. Those were the days. Quartermann... Semrad... Sushi-X... I still have my EGMs from that era, classic stuff.

I do recall Lufia being mentioned for Genesis, but only briefly, and never again.

David makes a good point. SNES definitely had the upper hand, with a custom sound chip... I forget the model offhand, but I think it was a Yamaha... it was capable of wavetable/digitized stuff. Whereas the Genny used the Z80 for sound in FM synthesis. Genesis was technically inferior, but there were some Genesis games that sounded AWESOME because of the raw, synthesized beat.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
David makes a good point. SNES definitely had the upper hand, with a custom sound chip... I forget the model offhand, but I think it was a Yamaha... it was capable of wavetable/digitized stuff. Whereas the Genny used the Z80 for sound in FM synthesis. Genesis was technically inferior, but there were some Genesis games that sounded AWESOME because of the raw, synthesized beat.

Nope and nope. The Yamaha chip is in the Genesis - a YM2612 FM synth. The SNES' chip is the SPC700, custom made for Nintendo by Sony. The difference between them is more of a matter of taste - PCM synthesis is not necessarily "superior" to FM synthesis, but each has its strengths and is better suited to different kinds of music. The Genesis also has a digital sample channel, mostly for percussion samples (ala the NES) and a PSG with three square waves and a triangle. Although the Genesis is mostly thought of as a techno beat machine in the audio department, all these extra channels permitted some lush, full harmony in capable hands (Shining Force II comes immediately to mind).
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: A Matter of Tastes... Reply with quote

The SNES's sound chip was a custom made DSP. The only chip that could challenge it was the Sound Blaster 16. While the Genesis did have some good music(Streets of Rage) the SNES almost always had superior sound and graphics when it came to third party ports.

Smeg, also I believe your talking the difference between midi-like sound and PCM/streaming sound that most consoles use today.
The SPC700 supported wavetable-synsthesis and supported PCM sound. These two features were something the Genesis could only dream about.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Nope and nope. The Yamaha chip is in the Genesis - a YM2612 FM synth. The SNES' chip is the SPC700, custom made for Nintendo by Sony. The difference between them is more of a matter of taste - PCM synthesis is not necessarily "superior" to FM synthesis, but each has its strengths and is better suited to different kinds of music. The Genesis also has a digital sample channel, mostly for percussion samples (ala the NES) and a PSG with three square waves and a triangle. Although the Genesis is mostly thought of as a techno beat machine in the audio department, all these extra channels permitted some lush, full harmony in capable hands (Shining Force II comes immediately to mind).

Finally got back to this... my computer was hit with a virus, so I didn't have net access for awhile.

Ok, that's right, the Yamaha was in the Genesis. Sorry. But the early Genesis systems, at least, did use the Z80 to control the sound chips, so I was partly correct. Guess they phased it out in later compact models.

I'm quite sure that as SlyphGlitch said though, the SNES sound chip was more advanced. (Even if it wasn't always fully utilized.) Not that the Genesis couldn't do some great sound too- just that the SNES had more potential. It all comes down to the talent of the sound crew, really... there are 8-bit tunes that beat the hell out of most game music today, even.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
Ok, that's right, the Yamaha was in the Genesis. Sorry. But the early Genesis systems, at least, did use the Z80 to control the sound chips, so I was partly correct. Guess they phased it out in later compact models.

I might be wrong, but I don't think a Genesis model exists without a Z80. But controlling sound chips and actually being used to generate sound are two different things.

Quote:
I'm quite sure that as SlyphGlitch said though, the SNES sound chip was more advanced.

My argument was that it's a subjective debate; the differences between the two chips are not comparable. FM synthesis and PCM synthesis are apples and oranges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: