Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

Fingering the Game Boy Camera Rogues Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Man From P.O.O.T.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Fingering the Game Boy Camera Rogues Gallery Reply with quote

First, I'd like to apologize to anyone who may have thought this thread was actually about fingering. It's the Game Boy Camera, after all. I can hardly blame you.

On a more serious note, I'm planning on writing a feature to submit to HG101 on the Game Boy Camera, and while looking at regional differences on The Cutting Room Floor, I was sure I recognized some of the faces from the international version as NoA staffers (you've probably seen most of these guys if you've watched those cheesy Nintendo Power promo tapes that are all over Youtube). With a new drive to dig deeper, I'm looking for help with confirming the identities of these faces:

Space Fever II First Boss

Probably Henry Sterchi, former NOA Development Coordinator, currently a Creative Director at Microsoft Game Studios.

UPDATE: Apparently it's not him, but he suggests that this could be Michael Kelbaugh, formerly of NOA's QA Department and currently at Retro Studios. Contacted via Twitter, now we wait.

Ball Face 1

Unknown male. I have no idea who this could be. Any ideas?

Ball Game Over Face

Most Likely Phil Sandhop, former Product Analyst at NoA, best known for his localization work on NES Earthbound. He's currently working as the Operations Director of a QA Testing company called GameInstinct.

This is his LinkedIn, but you need a business class account to send messages. Anyone else interested in contacting him?

DJ Face 1

This is almost certainly Ken Lobb, former Head of Development at NoA and namesake of the worst gun in Goldeneye. Currently at Microsoft Game Studios as a Creative Director.

Already contacted him via Twitter, no answer yet.

Run!Run!Run! Face 1

I'm fairly certain this is Armond Williams, former NoA Product Evaluator, currently an Account Manager for -- you guessed it -- Microsoft.

Here's his LinkedIn for anyone who can get in touch with him.

Run!Run!Run! Face 2

Unknown female. Leslie Swan is a probable guess. She was the editor of Nintendo Power at the time and is currently NoA's Localization Director, so she may have done some uncredited localization work on the Game Boy Camera. I've never seen a picture of her, so it's anybody's guess.

Her LinkedIn. You know the drill.

Anyone care to help me out?

Last edited by The Man From P.O.O.T. on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
shawnphase

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat thread yo. i got nothing on who these peeps are, but isnt there a few dj faces? i use trippy h still pretty regularly to make some sounds and it seems like theres others. i dunno though.
The Man From P.O.O.T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one other face, but it's the same between both versions. It would probably be good to figure out the Japanese version faces too, now that I think about it, but I'll be damned if I'd be able to identify some random Super Mario Club testers. Really though, anything anyone can do to help identify these people would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like Phil Sandhop to me.

http://www.lostlevels.org/200407/earth-10.shtml
The Man From P.O.O.T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually went and looked at those pictures when it hit me that it could be him. Once you see that third picture there's pretty much no doubt about it. Still, confirmation from the people themselves is always a plus, and anyone who might be able to get in contact with some of them through LinkedIn or other means would be a huge help (and you'd be credited, of course). I would contact them myself, but $20 a month for a LinkedIn premium account seems like a bit much for a student with no career prospects who may never use it again.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular reason you have to contact through LinkedIn? Why not just call his company and ask for him?

http://gameinstinct.com/contactus.html
The Man From P.O.O.T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sperglord in me says 'hell no!', but that's clearly the best way to do it. Guess I better ball up.
rdb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one you think is Ken Lobb looks more like Henry Sterchi.
rabidrodent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I put most of that page together (still a bit more to do...).

Anyway, the game's credits has a section for "photo models". I actually did try pinpointing who's who, but didn't get very far. Here's what I came up with though.

Marko Hein (Nintendo of Europe)
Another pic in this interview.

Ronny Gensicke?
You can't see the pic from the site, but it does appear on Google images, so: pic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: