Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

Article: Saving 'You bet your life'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Article: Saving 'You bet your life' Reply with quote

Quote:
As Nicholson began telling everyone about his latest movie, “The Last Detail,†which would be released in a few months, the phone rang and my grandfather, never one to have his lunch or a good story interrupted, asked me to answer it.

I walked into the kitchen and picked up the phone.

“Is Mr. Marx in?â€, the voice at the other end said.

“Who’s calling?†I asked.

“I work at the NBC storage warehouse in Englewood Cliifs, New Jersey,†the man said. “We’ve got several boxes of 16mm reels of film from ‘You Bet Your Life’ and we were wondering if Mr. Marx wants any of it. If not, we’re going to destroy all of it tomorrow.â€

http://boingboing.net/2013/03/12/the-day-my-grandfather-groucho.html
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do companies care so little for their own history like that. Sad It baffles the mind.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think that's bad? Try googling "BBC reused tape" and see how much television history they erased in the name of saving a few quid.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read. Never watched any of Grouchos shows. Guess it's good they saved that show tho.
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a huge coincidence I listened to this show for the first time by randomly clicking as a suggestion to something else I was watching on Youtube over a week ago.

It still boils my blood when I think about that infamous picture of SOA's archives that was apparently completely destroyed. WTF Sega.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you read that Sega destroyed its archives? That doesn't sound right to me at all, I really doubt it.

Fans of preservation and of Groucho might be pleased to know about the paper archive at the Library of Congress too: http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/tri099.html
drx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Where did you read that Sega destroyed its archives? That doesn't sound right to me at all, I really doubt it.

He's probably referring to me mentioning some time ago that a bunch of stuff was trashed at Sega when the Dreamcast tanked, including a bunch of unreleased games and such.

Or was supposed to be trashed anyway wink wink.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx wrote:
He's probably referring to me mentioning some time ago that a bunch of stuff was trashed at Sega when the Dreamcast tanked, including a bunch of unreleased games and such.

Or was supposed to be trashed anyway wink wink.

It's a shame that it all got trashed. Imagine how exciting and deeply appreciated it would have been if it all had gotten preserved in some sort of publicly-available capacity somehow. OH WELL
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read some of the horror stories regarding master tapes of hugely well-known albums/songs. Sometime in the '90s a warehouse in NYC that stored lots of original multitrack masters for various labels was going out of business and attempted to contact the labels/owners to come pick up their tapes. Apparently lots of them never bothered and the tapes got sent to landfills. D'oh.

Then you've got cases where labels decided to throw out the original mono mixes of lots of '50s/60s/early 70s material thinking that there'd never be a future use for them, despite the fact that the stereo versions weren't the ones that had been hits, were often haphazardly slapped together and sounded quite different than the original hit version, or were sometimes different takes altogether. There's a surprising amount of songs from that era that simply no longer exist in their original form except on vinyl, and many labels have had to resort to making needledrops from the cleanest copy they can find to reissue it on CD/digital.

K, music geek rant nobody cares about over now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: