Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

How many copies of Atari Air Raid are known to exist? 1 fnd!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CECtech

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: How many copies of Atari Air Raid are known to exist? 1 fnd! Reply with quote

I don't really keep up with general gaming news much anymore, but I saw a video about the Air Raid complete cart that was auctioned off for over 30 grand.

I remember having seen it in a box up in the attic. The blue handle really stood out. Long story short, I pulled down the box, and I found it!!!

Far as I can tell, there are only 12 verified, is this true? have more been found since? I'm freakin out! I included a link to a short video I made to prove I have it. I'm waiting on an atari 2600 I bought off ebay to prove it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V6dp0sB5Tc

Last edited by CECtech on Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the exact count of how many have been found (I don't think anyone can REALLY know that) but wow, what a lucky find. I don't know where your 12 number came from, but if I had to guess, maybe three or four have been fund in the last couple years, so I doubt the count is much higher than that (if at all).

Any idea where this originally came from? Did you purchase it in the 80s? Where are you, geographically?
CECtech

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: re: Air raid Reply with quote

I'm in Texas. I saw the video about the one that sold for 30k. Me and my wife bought the house she grew up in and rummaging through boxes, we found the Atari.

I tried fixing it, never could, but I remembered the box had a bunch of old games with it and one with a blue handle that stuck out with no name on the sticker. Seemed rather odd to me.

Anyway, we found the box again and found the cart. Most of what I have read and other videos on youtube keep suggesting only 12 known copies, however, they are over a year old.

My wife remembers her mom buying the blue cart for her at a garage sale back in the day. Not sure of the date of course, but she remembers playing with it.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's incredible, congratulations to you both. You should post about this on AtariAge.com's forums too, those guys are the go-to experts for 2600 stuff like this.
CECtech

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
That's incredible, congratulations to you both. You should post about this on AtariAge.com's forums too, those guys are the go-to experts for 2600 stuff like this.

Thanks for the congrats, this is very exciting! I got a 2600 on its way from ebay, so I will post a video showing that it works. I will definitely head to the atari-age forums.
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the guy who owned the boxed copy auctioned in 2010 also bought it originally somewhere in Texas?
(which I recall that was the first boxed copy discovered, which also confirmed that the game's name was Air Raid?)
Though the one auctioned last year was the first to be discovered with box and instructions.
CECtech

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me wonder if there was more of a distribution of this game here in Texas. I'm looking for the box now, the attic is a mess. My wife swears there was a box with it. I did find a couple manuals and a few catalogs that are pretty cool.
Evan

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of reminds me of this Vic 20 game I used to have, called Witch Way. It was a terrible Donkey Kong clone. Anyways, the game was made by a company in Saskatchewan, and I think it was only distributed in Saskatchewan, making it an extremely rare game. When I posted about it on DP many years ago, no one had heard of it. Only problem is that no one collects Vic 20 stuff. Maybe some small time Texas company made Air Raid, but only produced a small number of them.
Mustard Broach

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Maybe some small time Texas company made Air Raid, but only produced a small number of them.

This Atari Age thread suggests it was made in LA.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the description of the salespersons from the October seller, I wonder if the developers had a tiny amount printed up for the sake of giving to their salespersons to show around, and intended to produce a larger run when they found a buyer - which never happened.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlcice wrote:
Given the description of the salespersons from the October seller, I wonder if the developers had a tiny amount printed up for the sake of giving to their salespersons to show around, and intended to produce a larger run when they found a buyer - which never happened.

That is my exact assumption, actually.
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Air raid Reply with quote

CECtech wrote:
I'm in Texas. I saw the video about the one that sold for 30k. Me and my wife bought the house she grew up in and rummaging through boxes, we found the Atari.

I tried fixing it, never could, but I remembered the box had a bunch of old games with it and one with a blue handle that stuck out with no name on the sticker. Seemed rather odd to me.

Anyway, we found the box again and found the cart. Most of what I have read and other videos on youtube keep suggesting only 12 known copies, however, they are over a year old.

My wife remembers her mom buying the blue cart for her at a garage sale back in the day. Not sure of the date of course, but she remembers playing with it.

Congrats on the find! Out of curiosity, did you take a closer look at any of the other games in that box to see if anything else stood out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: