Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

Megaman X preview from Gamepro August 91
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balzac
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Megaman X preview from Gamepro August 91 Reply with quote

Man, Gamepro is unmatched at making bad puns......

Interesting notes:

-Upper pictures show a twilight version of the first level

-Flying dudes with flamthrowers similar to Flame Mammoth's

-Rough summary of the storyline that sounds like someone misinterpeted a Japanese press release (the half human thing in particular)

-The lower right pic with the white highway background doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the game's graphics

-The sketch of Megaman looks more like something a Gamepro editor drew rather than concept art. Even the Megaman X sprite looks nothing like that.

-No mention of Zero. Instead there's two helpers dubbed RX and RY

Anyone seen any other early Megaman/Rockman X concept art? Pics of RX and RY in particular would be of great interest. What about a beta cart?

I'll probably dig around the rom for unused sprites/text next.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, their artist's conception of Mega Man is really bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrfreeze

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to vaguely remember in an old add in Nickelodean magazine for Megaman X3, they said something about X's brother Lucky? Perhaps I was mistaken, but both me and a friend seem to share that memory.
anarchy99

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WORST BACKGROUND IN THE HISTORY OF BACKGROUNDS.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Megaman X preview from Gamepro August 91 Reply with quote

From the letters column in the December 1994 issue:

some reader guy wrote:
In your September '93 issue, you PreViewed Mega Man X. I've beaten the game, but I didn't recognize three of the screens you showed. They were of a white city. Also, you mentioned two new friends for Mega Man, RX and RY. I didn't see them either. Can you explain?

some editor guy wrote:
You're right, those "white city" screens aren't in the game, and neither are RX and RY. Capcom spokesperson Laurie Thornton says that all these features were present in the game in July '93 for our September issue, but between July and the game's release in December '93, Capcom changed the story and some of the levels. As a result, the white city and MM's two pals disappeared.

Did any other publications review this earlier revision? I'm interested in a description of how RX and RY would have functioned.

And yeah, that's Gamepro's art, not Capcom's. They regularly added their own illustrations to their articles. That one's not so bad compared to some of their other work.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we that's Gamepro's art? It seems way too anime-ish for them.

Anyway, I remember seeing screenshots of the white city in other magazines (namely EGM and Nintendo Power) as well as mentions of RX and RY.

From what I gather, Mega Man X was originally meant to be an unrelated game called RoboPolice and it was somewhere during development in which the game became a Mega Man title.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, my friends, is official art. I remember seeing that same drawing in an old Club Nintendo [Official Nintendo Mexico publication] issue.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
That, my friends, is official art. I remember seeing that same drawing in an old Club Nintendo [Official Nintendo Mexico publication] issue.

See? I knew it had to be an official artwork (Gamepro's artists were never that good).

My guess that this is an early concept artwork of X's armor. The only difference is the mouthmask, the huge shoulder pads and the color.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the crystal/camera in X's forehead. It's supposed to be red.

The mouthpiece / mask and the shoulders were reused in later sequels.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I remember a discussion awhile ago on the ZSNES board over a proto ROM of Megaman X that had the white city (but not much else).
I didn't actually check to see if the ROM was out myself, though. So, I'm not sure if it's out or not.
Balzac
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. GoodSNES shows no mention of a MMX beta rom.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good utilities don't have all roms. And some games usually get skipped, ignored, or tagged incorrectly.

Also, it could've been a private dump for all we know.

Edit:
Wow, I made a comment on the Good tools that didn't involve an insult. I must be sick or something.
Evan

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the beta was dumped. I haven't really heard much about the beta in a long time.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Actually... Reply with quote

Actually the story from the article isn't too far from the story of the first three X games. Just replace Robopolice with Replicants. Also didn't Nintendo Power have a couple of screen shots of the "White City" before things were changed.

Seems to me X was fighting a mini-boss that didn't appear till much later in the game.

PS - Great Scan, thanks
narc

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes SlyphGlitch i agree i have a nintendo power with those pics somewhere seems to me to be a december or january issue if i remember correctly.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Correction... Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant "Reploids", not Replicants.

Remember, the X games where about Mavericks and their war against the Maverick Hunters. Mavericks where Reploids who went crazy. Actually, well anyone whose played enough X games will know what happens.

Of course the Reploids were all clones of X.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* insert joke about clone computers here

Because you know. IBM? IBM PC clones? Blah.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: I need.. Reply with quote

I need to proof read my posts a little better. Sorry about that.
Geist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was interesting that theres no health bar in any of the white city shots when its clearly visable in the others. Maybe its from an even earlier beta.

Also the topic says August 1991 when the page clearly says September 1993.

But hey, what do I know :o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jonnymaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Greetings. Reply with quote

Hello. This being my first post, let me tell you a few things. I've been watching here for a while. Stuff like this has always interested me, and I have no clue why I hesitated to join.

Anyway, after reading this topic, I did a search and found these.

http://www.planet-megaman.com/mm3/images/Mmxbeta1.gif

Notice the "P" life bar, and the middle picture showing the big green claw-dude from Sting Chamleon's stage.

http://www.planet-megaman.com/mm3/images/Mmxbeta2.gif

"P" Life bar again, and a red sky background.

Credit goes to http://www.planet-megaman.com/mm3/

I hope to enjoy the time I spend here. It's a pleasure to meet you all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: