Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

Hard Drivin' for the NES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Hard Drivin' for the NES Reply with quote

http://www.lostlevels.org/hard-drivin/
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fantastic to finally play the Nes version of Hard Drivin'. Still stuns me the Nes was even capable of handling this game at all. If Mark Morris is reading this, I'd like to send my thanks for letting us play this.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is, this is pretty great! I've always been curious about this one, and on some level, about Tengen in general. FCEUX definitely runs it a lot closer to accurate than Nestopia.

I never really knew what to expect out of this one as an unfinished game -- I figured that it could be anywhere between amazing and horrible. I half expected some sort of attempt at full-on polygons with <1 FPS gameplay, but this approach feels both impressive and reasonable for the NES, and does capture the feel of the arcade game pretty well, I think. It took me by surprise how well the animated sections with the leap and the loop ran. The Klax-style NES rock is a nice touch too.

Cheers to Frank and cheers to Mark!
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I learned from this experience is that turning around an article is a lot faster, easier, and more fun now that I don't write articles for a living. Maybe I should, you know, update this site more.
hiroshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it with a Powerpak flash cart on my NES, and the graphics glitch out early in the game. Not complaining, just reporting what I've found. FCEUX works fine for now.

This is really cool, never thought I'd see it in action. Pre-rendering was a brilliant idea, although I wonder if they could've taken a different visual approach like ELITE did.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I should have mentioned, this doesn't work on flash carts either. The only way to play this without errors is to burn EPROMs and put them on the proper board.
Evan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty amazing the tricks that people used to get things to run on the NES. I know the SNES version of Hard Drivin' isn't that hot, either.
hiroshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Oh yeah I should have mentioned, this doesn't work on flash carts either. The only way to play this without errors is to burn EPROMs and put them on the proper board.

If that's the case, can we get a video of it running on actual hardware? Pretty please?

Evan wrote:
Pretty amazing the tricks that people used to get things to run on the NES. I know the SNES version of Hard Drivin' isn't that hot, either.

Somehow they ported it to ZX Spectrum, and there's a sequel on Game Boy. I wouldn't mind hearing how they pulled these off, too.
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could've sworn TheRedEye uploaded (or at least linked to) a hardware video at some point.
It's not on his Youtube channel at least.
Pr3tty F1y

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Long time lurker here.

I had to register to express my extreme gratitude to Mark Morris. Thank you for releasing the NES copy of Hard Drivin'. It's a fantastic translation of the arcade classic to the NES. "Publishable" or not, riding through that loop and taking your car off of the flat plane that you're used to with NES racers is more than enough satisfaction for me.

My additional thanks to Frank for running this site. It's things like this that bring happiness to this geek's heart.
Greg2600

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks as always for releasing the prototype rom! Hard Drivin' was such a tough game to port at the time, it was really cutting edge arcade wise.

By the way, I read how Mark also developed License to Kill on the NES. Hmm, did he still have a copy of that too???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: