Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm

River City Ransom Underground

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: River City Ransom Underground Reply with quote

Didn't learn about this one till today, and turns out it's already funded!

Kunio-kun creator Yoshihisa Kishimoto and Fez composer Rich "Disasterpeace" Vreeland are on board. This has nothing to do with the old project, by the way.

Links:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground
http://rivercityransom.com/
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't miss the always-hilarious "girls don't play video games!" joke in the middle of the pitch video.

Douche.
Boco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to play a sequel to a game starring a high school badass which instead starred a washed-up 40 year old, I'd kill myself.
Linquesan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TheRedEye"]Don't miss the always-hilarious "girls don't play video games!" joke in the middle of the pitch video.

Douche.[/quote]

Uhh, it seems more like a "this person doesn't play video games, but even she will find this fun" joke. None of it was funny, but it's an incredible stretch to think there was any overarching joke or suggestion that girls do not play video games.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever, I'm just not down with this project. Shantae and Not-Megaman No.9, sure, but I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to be impressed with this RCR psuedo-sequel.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why Million had issues with giving Miracle Kidz, the dōjin group founded by the original River City Ransom directors (Kishimoto only worked on Renegade and Kunio-tachi no Banka), the rights to work on Downtown Nekketsu Mongatari 2 (they're now redoing it as an original IP), but they're okay with allowing some unknown Canadian developer to work on a River City Ransom sequel/spinoff.

At least this new game looks a lot better than Double Dragon Neon, which was pretty dreadful (as openminded as I tried to be, the demo didn't compel me enough to buy the full version). Hell, I might even go as far to say it looks better than the recent 3DS Kunio games. The music on the trailer sounded pretty awful though.
sebmal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
At least this new game looks a lot better than Double Dragon Neon, which was pretty dreadful

them's some fuckin' fighting words
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
At least this new game looks a lot better than Double Dragon Neon

But Neon had BIMMY LEE! And "ABOBO MUST STUDY FOR BIOLOGY EXAM!" There's not a whole lot you can do to on a Double Dragon reboot/remake/whatever that's going to really be a major improvement on the original formula.

Well, except for online co-op... excluding THAT was pretty stupid.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
There's not a whole lot you can do to on a Double Dragon reboot/remake/whatever that's going to really be a major improvement on the original formula.

Double Dragon Advance says otherwise and that was a low-budget GBA game from ten years ago. Imagine what the Advance team could've done on a better hardware with a larger ROM size.

I really wasn't expecting Neon to be the second coming of Advance anyway, given WayForward's pedigree and the direction they were taking with the game, but even with that in mind I just couldn't stand the floaty slow-feeling combat, nor the deliberately cheesy art direction and "ironic" humor.

I would rate Neon above the iOS/Android version by Brizo, if only because it's available on proper videogame consoles rather than being relegated to touch screen devices, despite the fact that I vastly prefer the art direction in the iOS game.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mind the goofy humor of Neon, though I have to say that Billy and Jimmy being given those Surfer Dude voices, was really annoying. That kind of humor felt really forced.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon is far from being the worst thing bearing the Double Dragon brand (especially compared to that Wander of the Dragons crap that came out shortly afterward) but it feels like it was designed by pseudo-nostalgic hipsters who only had a superficial understanding of the series ('Bimmy sure was funny"), so they just filled the game with blatant 80s references instead ("cause, you know, Double Dragon was made in 1987, so let's make our bad guy a Skeletor pastiche"). Maybe I would've been less judgmental towards Neon had it been an original game that just happens to spoofs old belt-scrollers like Double Dragon, but as an attempted revival of the series (especially a 25th anniversary game), it just doesn't seem right.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a disgusting amount of love for the soundtrack in Neon (+the mechanics with the tapes). One of the greatest game soundtracks this past decade, fro sure.

Also, the various local translations for that atrocious Double Dragon II remake on Xbox LIVE are just amazing. Not even babelfish or google translate manages to reproduce the amazingly bad translations that exist in some languages (which is a clear sign that these were somehow done by human beings ... just like the main game somehow was too)
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still listen to Neon Jungle (Mission 2) on loop. Jake Kaufman can do no wrong.

I can understand people not liking the game for what it was supposed to herald (Being a 25th anniversary title/proper reboot). It kind of is a slap in the face to hardcore Double Dragon fans. I liked it, but I'm not a hardcore DD fan.

I think the reason Million gave WayForward the go-ahead to just to give it that crazy-go-nuts-batshit-80's parody vibe is because, in their pecking order, Kunio comes first, then Double Dragon... even though DD actually has a more fleshed out mythos in Japan than it does in the West (I had no idea that the series took place in a semi-post apoc future), yet seems to have more popularity HERE. So much, in fact, Technos sold off the DD franchise some time ago (I think they were commissioned to do the NES DD3... someone get an expert in here so I can shut up)

EDIT: Wanted more than just a "virt rulez dawg" sentence.

Last edited by Ichiban Crush on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited for context and added reply.

Quote:
Also, the various local translations for that atrocious Double Dragon II remake on Xbox LIVE are just amazing. Not even babelfish or google translate manages to reproduce the amazingly bad translations that exist in some languages (which is a clear sign that these were somehow done by human beings ... just like the main game somehow was too)

I'm surprised Million even allowed such a shitty remake to be made instead of ordering them to pull the plug. Then again, Double Dragon did had its fair share of horrid ports back in the day.

Quote:
I think the reason Million gave WayForward the go-ahead to just to give it that crazy-go-nuts-batshit-80's parody vibe is because, in their pecking order, Kunio comes first, then Double Dragon... even though DD actually has a more fleshed out mythos in Japan than it does in the West (I had no idea that the series took place in a semi-post apoc future), yet seems to have more popularity HERE. So much, in fact, Technos sold off the DD franchise some time ago (I think they were commissioned to do the NES DD3... someone get an expert in here so I can shut up)

Million still owns Double Dragon last time I checked. Technos outsourced the arcade version of DD3 to East Technology because their arcade division were busy with other projects at the time such as WWF Superstars and Combatribes if that's what you meant, but I think Kishimoto always intended the game to be made. The NES version was done in-house and developed simultaneously.

Double Dragon was always made with the western market in mind. It was supposed to be a Kunio-kun sequel at first, but the developers didn't want to go through the trouble of redrawing the game's graphics for the export version like they did with Renegade, so they went with a deliberately Americanized setting from the get-go.

The game's "mythos" was something Technos pretty much wrote after the fact, since the only time any backstory was given for the arcade version was in a pamphlet that came with the official soundtrack tape, which basically just took the story and character descriptions Technos wrote for the Famicom version and altered a few things to be more arcade accurate (namely the fact that Jimmy is a good guy in the arcade game, whereas he was the final boss in the NES version). I don't think the game's characters were even officially named yet when the arcade version was released (which is probably why Billy and Jimmy were originally referred as "Hammer and Spike" on the US arcade cabinet and why the series has never been consistent about their hair colors).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: