Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

Monster in My Pocket Early Prototype

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Monster in My Pocket Early Prototype Reply with quote

Like, really early, more of a tech demo than anything. Only the first level, (completely different) music, and basic gameplay are implemented at this point, and the player sprites are still pretty rough.

A couple of debugging tools are present in this build: the game starts with a level/character select (you need to use this to see all three parts of the stage, since the game resets at the end of each one), and you can pause the game and scroll the screen around with the D-pad (press A a few times to go faster).

Although there's not much to the game itself, a bit of hacking yielded several unused music tracks (some early versions of final tracks, and some unique to this proto) and remnants of at least two other games hidden in the data, including compressed graphics from Crackout in the PRG, and a couple of overworld graphic banks from a prototype version of Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2 in the CHR (there are some mushroom graphics I couldn't locate in the final version). This will all be documented on TCRF in the coming weeks.

Thanks to Arasoi and some very generous donors for saving this bit of Konami history, and to devin for the NSF rip!

Prototype ROM
NSF music rip
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool find! Interesting bit about the other games graphics in it. Still not sure why the US didn't get Crackout.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you guys work quick! I sent the game and ROM out this Saturday, no time wasted there.

I know it's off topic, but if others were interested in doing something similar, I have a list of most of my protos here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aof5kdjyHmF-dGgyMUFxZHpud0k2SXY4cmh6bkdGQXc#gid=0

Probably about 30-35 additional that I haven't gotten around to adding, just thought a few of you may be interested in the list.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped $400 on the MiMP prototype and looking at that price list makes my wallet weep.

Too bad there's no price for just a ROM dump (but I bet even those would be expensive...)
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that game called? "MONSTER ... ...."

Thanks for sharing. :)
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:
Too bad there's no price for just a ROM dump (but I bet even those would be expensive...)

I think you'd be surprised, especially if it is for lost levels guys.

Never really thought about dumps, but take the unreleased Fun House game. I'd do like $1k for that dump without too much thought.

If you have interest in something, give me a shout and I'd be very willing to work with you.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that Fun House is the one by Mind's Eye Technology? (The Muppet Adventure developers.)

Anyway that Monster in my Pocket proto is cool. Previous Konami "protos" on the Nes were actually demos for use in stores. I think this might be the first one that's genuinely an early build. Also nice to hear some "lost" Konami Nes tunes.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
I'm assuming that Fun House is the one by Mind's Eye Technology? (The Muppet Adventure developers.)

That's the one! I got a very early Muppet Adventure proto from the same person as well.

Was just using that as an example, even for unreleased games I wouldn't be asking for millions. Again, I've never really thought of cash ROM releases, but if someone wanted one I would be very willing to work with them.
Doommaster1994

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not believe in holding the games hostage like that. I have four undumped prototypes that I wouldn't mind releasing for free.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doommaster1994 wrote:
I personally do not believe in holding the games hostage like that. I have four undumped prototypes that I wouldn't mind releasing for free.

I've released countless unreleased games over the years and will continue to do so.

They're not held hostage, they're in very safe hands. They're also for sale, so anyone can be the hero you're trumpeting about!
Doommaster1994

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean that for some of those games they raise money in order to release the ROM. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't know why they do that. Can't they just release the ROM for free?
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doommaster1994 wrote:
No, I mean that for some of those games they raise money in order to release the ROM. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't know why they do that. Can't they just release the ROM for free?

Of course, but it costs an awful lot of money, and usually even more time, securing these prototypes. It gets prohibitively expensive to spend thousands on prototypes, release them for free, and end up with a cartridge worth a fraction of the initial purchase price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: