Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Bart's Nightmare Prototype and SNES MusiCart for SNES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doommaster1994

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Bart's Nightmare Prototype and SNES MusiCart for SNES Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. This is my first topic here so apologies if I did something wrong!

A few years ago I got a hold of a couple prototype carts. The SNES MusiCart no longer works but the SNES version does and a gameplay video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXm5B89Vbuc

Last weekend I finally got around to being able to meet someone in my area to dump the games. Unfortunately, he was unsuccessful. I'm not sure if it was the hardware he used or if it was the game, but after several attempts the game wouldn't dump (or at least properly). I don't remember what hardware he used but it wasn't the Retrode that I've heard about. I'm not sure if these games have some kind of protection or not.

Thanks!
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have problems with dumping games, you should ask Matthew Callis or The Dumper (or even byuu). They are the experts on it.

Also, I think it is great you got so far into that game. I think the only time I played it, I thought "what the hell are you supposed to do".
Doommaster1994

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention Matthew Callis is the one I went to since we live near each other. Razz
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of prototypes do not contain a valid header, as it was not a requirement for games to actually run on an SNES. If this is the case here, and his dumping hardware is checking the header to determine how much ROM/RAM the game has, you won't get a good dump. You may need to either use a different device or pull the chips off the board and dump them manually.
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did most of my dumps with a tototek dumper.
I had a few games not dump correctly (turned out it was games with Windows reserved characters like : in the header name).
I had to find a cart with the same mapping, insert that, click the dump button then on the Save As menu, hot swap, dump and correct later.
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most dumping devices should have a "force dump" option, which will allow you to get the correct dump size if the header is corrupt. Although I assume Matthew Callis would know about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: