Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

[SNES] Metal Jack: Armored Police

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: [SNES] Metal Jack: Armored Police Reply with quote

Metal Jack came out in Japan, but the game went unreleased in North America. About a year and a half ago, a collector bought a prototype of the unreleased localization from DreamTR and released the ROM image of it. This release kind of few under the radar for me, and it wasn't highly publicized until now. I managed to find quite a bit of magazine coverage of the game. Considering how bad the game is, I am not altogether surprised that it did not come out.

http://www.snescentral.com/review.php?id=1076&num=0&fancy=yes&article=proto
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this game was supposed to tie into a plan to bring the Metal Jack TV show and toy line over here. Everything about the localization would suit a 1990s anime adaptation. Ken Kanzaki? Nope, he's Ken Striker, and this is Los Angeles!

I can't find any record of Metal Jack being prepped for broadcast outside of Japan, though. Probably just a coincidence.

Maybe Atlus canceled it after Sunrise wanted too much money or objected to their property being Americanized without someone buying the cartoon to go with it. I suspect that's what killed Zeta Gundam for the NES, anyway.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds like stuff that would be cleared up before people actually started working on the game, no?
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this game from reading VGJunk's article on it:

http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/armored-police-metal-jack-snes.html

I guess I could slog through the game later and find out, but do you know if that Nazi enemy he mentions toward the end got changed in the proto?
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the SFC version and we didn't really miss out on much. It's pretty typical anime tie-in trash. The show itself really wasn't anything special to begin with. All I remember from it was that the main bad guy's name was Megadeath and the lead heroine ends up hooking up with the goofy big guy over the hero and the lancer. The toys seemed pretty cool though (the figures had gimmick very similar to the Ronin Warriors line).
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
That all sounds like stuff that would be cleared up before people actually started working on the game, no?

Probably, though some part of the show's production committee might've been out of the loop until the later stages. Atlus apparently made the original game in-house, so perhaps they did the localization before getting everyone's permission.

I suppose it's more likely that Atlus just didn't think Metal Jack would stand out in the big holiday rush and that it wasn't worth the trouble.

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
I played the SFC version and we didn't really miss out on much. It's pretty typical anime tie-in trash. The show itself really wasn't anything special to begin with. All I remember from it was that the main bad guy's name was Megadeath and the lead heroine ends up hooking up with the goofy big guy over the hero and the lancer. The toys seemed pretty cool though (the figures had gimmick very similar to the Ronin Warriors line).

Whoa, didn't they know that the Main Girl and the Red Guy are supposed to get together? Metal Jack broke all the rules!
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as we like to speculate on why games go unreleased, I'm sure this is one of those cases where the game was cancelled simply cause its crap.

I played through the proto, and apart from the changes mentioned in the article it was exactly the same as the Japanese version. The 5th Level boss still did a Nazi salute, which I was a little surprised to see was still present.
Kiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone else is interested, but back when this leaked earlier I played it and put up the video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfgkCYYt3Nk

Start to finish, basically. Hopefully it's of use to anyone who wants to analyze the game but not actually, well, play it. I spotted most of the same differences and similarities anyone else has so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: