Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:38 am

Console Wars book review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Console Wars book review Reply with quote

I reviewed the new Sega vs. Nintendo book Console Wars, thought some of you might be interested:

http://kotaku.com/console-wars-the-kotaku-book-review-1576289967

There's a piece of relevant Lost Levels trivia in the book, which is that the unreleased Sony Imagesoft NES game Super Sushi Pinball was rejected by Nintendo. I'm pretty sure that this is the only ANNOUNCED, unreleased NES game that we know for sure was cancelled for that reason, so that's neat. It was released as Super Pinball on the Famicom if you want to look it up.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"You're obviously an intelligent man. That being the case, I think you can imagine where I might attempt to point out a few imbalances in that logic. Nevertheless, I acknowledge that we're on different sides of the table here and, naturally, ought to possess divergent perspectives on issues like these."

Gripping.

The book sounds like a contractual adjunct to a screenplay. Problem is, he can type this shit, but actors sure as hell won't be able to say it.*
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Genesis does what Nintendon't.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder Frank. Very Happy

I just ordered the hardcover.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an excerpt over on grandland too, fun stuff.

http://grantland.com/features/the-rise-of-nintendo-video-games-history/
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Can't wait for it to arrive, haha!

Nothing will ever match those days. ever.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular example chapter is mostly covering old ground from Game Over, which all of you really, really need to read.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty tempted to pick this up, or at least watch the eventual film adaptation. The Nintendo vs. Sega rivalry is the only time a so-called console war actually lived up to its name. Even without the behind-the-scenes shenanigans involving both companies and third-parties, their ad campaigns alone were pretty aggressive. Nowadays, all you have are fanboys shitposting about each others' platforms of choice on forums and comments section.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the last page. Sony won.
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they did.
And I'm sure everyone was surprised that a publisher of generally mediocre to bad games suddenly became the industry leader. (like Last Action Hero and FMV Sega CD games.)
(I do remember sometime in the mid 2000s former SoA pres said yes there might've been a Sega PlayStation if Sony's resume wasn't so average.)
Evan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Sony did have some decent games like Skyblazer.

Yeah, you are right, it is amazing that the Playstation managed to succeed, considering that they didn't really put out any amazing games until Crash Bandicoot. Looking at the titles that came out in 1995, there is nothing that screams "classic that still is worth playing today". I suppose Nintendo and Sega's hubris was their undoing. And especially Sega, who clearly did not listen to their American division.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
That particular example chapter is mostly covering old ground from Game Over, which all of you really, really need to read.

Currently reading and very much enjoying it. Indeed a must-read for every self-respecting gamer.

Evan wrote:

Absolutely; it's one of my most-favorite SNES titles. Though published by SONY, it was developed by Ukiyotei (who also created another SONY Imagesoft title, Hook). Unfortunately they also published games made by the very mediocre English developer BITS.

Evan wrote:
[...]they didn't really put out any amazing games until Crash Bandicoot. Looking at the titles that came out in 1995, there is nothing that screams "classic that still is worth playing today".

I don't agree. There was Tekken, Air Combat, wipE'out", Ridge Racer, Battle Arena Toshinden, Warhawk, Philosoma and DOOM. Plus a arcade-perfect conversion of the then-hugely popular Mortal Kombat 3. SONY did what SEGA didn't; aggressively "anti-marketing" their (first) console (S.A.P.S.). The PlayStation's price was attractive and so were the stunning looking games.

Last edited by 90's Gamer on Mon May 19, 2014 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Game Over years ago and loved it (had to cite from it for most of the terrible textbook's recollection of the NES), and if this covers old ground, I'm game.
Evan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90's Gamer wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Currently reading and very much enjoying it. Indeed a must-read for every self-respecting gamer.

Evan wrote:

Absolutely; it's one of my most-favorite SNES titles. Though published by SONY, it was developed by Ukiyotei (who also created another SONY Imagesoft title, Hook). Unfortunately they also published games made by the very mediocre English developer BITS.

Evan wrote:
[...]they didn't really put out any amazing games until Crash Bandicoot. Looking at the titles that came out in 1995, there is nothing that screams "classic that still is worth playing today".

I don't agree. There was Tekken, Air Combat, wipE'out", Ridge Racer, Battle Arena Toshinden, Warhawk, Philosoma and DOOM. Plus a arcade-perfect conversion of the then-hugely popular Mortal Kombat 3. SONY did what SEGA didn't; aggressively "anti-marketing" their (first) console (S.A.P.S.). The PlayStation's price was attractive and so were the stunning looking games.

I doubt you will run into a lot of people who will go out and say "Oh man, got to play me some Air Combat, that game is a classic and should be on the same pedestal as Final Fantasy VII when it comes to PS1". Although there was a certain "wow" factor when these games first came out, they have not aged well and I would argue they are not classics. Even games like Doom, Tekken and Wipeout, while great games, do not hold a candle to the impact of Super Mario 64.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
I doubt you will run into a lot of people who will go out and say "Oh man, got to play me some Air Combat, that game is a classic and should be on the same pedestal as Final Fantasy VII when it comes to PS1". Although there was a certain "wow" factor when these games first came out, they have not aged well and I would argue they are not classics. Even games like Doom, Tekken and Wipeout, while great games, do not hold a candle to the impact of Super Mario 64.

I'm quite sure there are quite a number of people out there who would love to revisit those games. Wink

Super Mario 64. As a big Mario fan I was disappointed with Super Mario 64; I didn't like the transition to 3D. It looked alright, but the whole 3D-Mario thing didn't do a thing to me. I hated how my favorite enemies "Goombas" looked on the N64 (horrible, unrecognizable). The levels were short and not really challenging like the previous 2D titles. Those challenges were now "exterior" things (implemented, outside of the level design itself) like races with Koopas. The game had indeed a huge impact, but I never understood it at the time. It's still my least-favorite Mario game.

---

On the subject itself. Can't help thinking that the video games industry needs a major change. Distinct lines, and fierce competition. Not in the sense of mere nitpicking, but in the sense of taking a completely other direction. The "fanboyism" of today is totally without meaning. I wish a new Japanese platform holder would pop up. One solely dedicated to video games. Classic 2D video games. On f*king cartridges. Away with the 3D "fad". Everything today is "too polished" in my opinion, there's lesser and lesser left to the imagination. We need to be able to dream again...
I believe that limitations are the mother of creativity.

Last edited by 90's Gamer on Mon May 19, 2014 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:

I dunno, Air Combat is the most kick assest game that ever was.

The PlayStation's first round of titles didn't have to age well. They just had to outclass the 3-D games on every other system back in 1995. By the time Toshinden wore out its welcome, the PlayStation had games like Crash and Tekken 2 and Ridge Racer Revolution and Resident Evil and the better version of Tomb Raider well underway. That was the PlayStation's real strength in those early years: a large library with something for just about everyone.

Super Mario 64 had an unfortunate effect on the Nintendo 64's image. It was an amazing game, but it left everyone looking for other groundbreaking titles on the system, and they were disappointed that nothing in the Nintendo 64's library could really match it.

For example, Next Generation went from this in August 1996...

...to this in May 1997.

Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Absolutely; it's one of my most-favorite SNES titles. Though published by SONY, it was developed by Ukiyotei (who also created another SONY Imagesoft title, Hook).

They also worked on the SNES Spawn by Acclaim, which was going to be published by Sony Imagesoft before their merger with SCEA.

90's Gamer wrote:

I'll add the original Resident Evil and the two Jumping Flash games to that list, especially the former since it was a pretty groundbreaking work. I never really thought Crash Bandicoot was that great to begin with, much less a "killer-app." It was a decent platformer for the kiddies, but pretty underwhelming compared to what Super Mario 64 was doing at the same time.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was really a fantastic read this book. It's in a different style than Game Over, but it's just as enjoyable as it is informative. You can just feel the tension between SEGA and Nintendo again. A tension which brought the best out of these two companies.

Lots of interesting things get mentioned. For instance, SEGA got two Super Famicoms from the launch in Japan. The people at SOA were looking at it, testing it and commenting on it. Konami gets mentioned of course, as they were making games for SEGA after a while. Trip Hawkins' Electronic Arts... Sonic Tuesday... the announcement of Nintendo's deal with Phillips which made people's jaw drop...

The list is endless...it's really highly recommended!

Talking about that good ol' time...here's a short clip of a Dutch program which I used to watch every single Friday evening...

Sorry, it's in Dutch...but these are some of the highlights from the CES in 1993...

YouTube link
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and this video is actually more in-depth on the CES '93.

With SEGA's Ellen Van Buskirk (who is also in the book), Virtua Racing, SEGA CD, Activator, Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening...
FlowingMindspin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know what I want for my birthday now. :) I've read Game Over quite a few times... can't wait to read this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: