Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

Roger Clemens and Ikari Warriors Pre-Release / Sample Carts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgsmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Roger Clemens and Ikari Warriors Pre-Release / Sample Carts Reply with quote

So a buddy of mine told me about these a few weeks ago. He'd had them since he was a kid and knew I'd been collecting games. After a few weeks of trying to get info on them, learning more about prototypes and emailing with Frank (Awesome man for taking the time to answer some questions). I finally offered to buy these off of my buddy. In preparation I also bought a kazzo to dump them. I was able to dump Ikari Warriors and found some differences between it and the production cart. Though I have a limited skill set in reverse engineering dumped roms, so I am unsure of what these exact differences are. Appears to be maybe 2% different in hex diffs. I haven't been able to dump Roger Clemens yet. Unfortunately the EPROMs windows were never covered, so I fear they might be erased by now. Though if someone has experience with dumping in Kazzo, I'd be open to assistance in determining if maybe this one didn't follow the same mmc3 set as in the production release. Sorry for my longwinded post, but I wanted to share.

imgur link to images of the carts
http://imgur.com/a/vBttc
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Roger Clemens uses an Acclaim knock-off MMC3 instead of a traditional Nintendo one. I don't know much about the Kazzo, but that might be what's causing the problem.

If you want, I'm pretty certain I can dump Roger Clemens with my CopyNES. I'd like the chance to get a look at that PCB too, it apparently hasn't been documented yet. NESdev might be able to help you if you want to give it another shot with the Kazzo.
sgsmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info on nesdev. I'm worried that Roger Clemens eproms suffered enough bitrot to not be recoverable. I cleaned the pins, but right now it won't play in my nes. Just flashing red light. The guy I got them from hadn't played either of them since he was a kid. If I can't seem to make any progress though, I'm open to seeing if the copynes can pull anything off of it. Regarding examining the board in more detail, would better picture and a diagram work? Is there a running list out there of prototypes?
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've cleaned it and it still won't boot, it is possible that the chips have gone bad. Though, as difficult as some NES games can be to get working, it's hard to say!

In documenting the board, I just wanted to upload a profile at NesCartDB, like this. Due to the way the database works, I would need a dump of the cart to associate with the hardware. Ideally, this is done via the CopyNES software when the cart is dumped, although it's possible to enter the info manually. It's not a big deal, but definitely something I'd like to record if I can, since it's apparently an uncommon board.

I'm not aware of a totally comprehensive list of prototypes. I see you've found the list at NintendoAge. There's a decent list at The Warp Zone too, but it's very out of date.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgsmith wrote:
I cleaned the pins, but right now it won't play in my nes. Just flashing red light.

A flashing power LED only means the NES's CIC security chip can't communicate with the one in the cart. It has nothing to do with the integrity of the EPROMs.

Do you see anything at all on the screen between flashes, other than black or grey?
dragon2snow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were in China,I can help to dump.
my in www.nesbbs.com
sgsmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
If you've cleaned it and it still won't boot, it is possible that the chips have gone bad. Though, as difficult as some NES games can be to get working, it's hard to say!

In documenting the board, I just wanted to upload a profile at NesCartDB, like this. Due to the way the database works, I would need a dump of the cart to associate with the hardware. Ideally, this is done via the CopyNES software when the cart is dumped, although it's possible to enter the info manually. It's not a big deal, but definitely something I'd like to record if I can, since it's apparently an uncommon board.

I'm not aware of a totally comprehensive list of prototypes. I see you've found the list at NintendoAge. There's a decent list at The Warp Zone too, but it's very out of date.

Thanks, yeah, I'm pretty sure at this point that the chips are wiped. all dumps I've attempted pull data have been completely corrupt. I talked to the guy I got the carts off of, he remembered there being stickers on the chips when he originally got the roger clemens, but that was in the early 90's he said.

my apologies for the severely late response, got caught up in work and playing games the last few few weeks.

To BMF.. the guy who originally owned these carts advised his nes had never had the lockout chip disabled when he was originally playing. So I really do think the eproms have just blanked over the years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: