Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

Wiki

View previous topic :: View next topic  
technarch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Wiki Reply with quote

A lost levels wiki with an article for each game would be schweet. BTW, here's 25% of a Wikipedia article I wrote before someone removed most of the entries and the page was removed and an edited version ended up on deletionpedia before the site shut down and was reconfigured as deletionpedia v2 and then was saved on the Nintendo wiki with only Nintendo related entries retained. Can still find plenty of categories, articles and offhand mentions of canceled games on WP though. And typing 'cancelled games' or 'list of cancelled games' in a search engine is just as good for reconstructing such a list.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_cancelled_games
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facepalm!
There were seriously people that believed this poorly executed trainwreck of a hoax? :P
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Zelda_III
drx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have a prototype database wiki in the works that I plan to launch on Hidden Palace soon. For things other than cataloguing protos, I find that TCRF is good.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done a Lost Levels wiki because I don't have faith that it would be filled out to my satisfaction, there's just too much out there. If all you want is a giant database of unreleased games, I feel like Unseen64 has you covered...what's needed more is actual information and research.

Instead, I've been working behind the scenes on a database of only the NES stuff, since that's an achievable goal. It's a longterm project, I'm at about year 3. I've probably got about 40 titles in there now through my own research that there isn't reference to online, so it should have a little something for everybody if I ever get it done.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to sort of branch TCRF out a bit and create individual projects; something like the current "Content to expand" page but more along the lines of listing out prototypes that need researched and documented, and sort of working through those.

The biggest problem is just time and people capable of doing the work. To get really good coverage you need people who can actually dig into the guts and not just give a lookover, and unfortunately there just aren't a lot of people who can do that... and of the people that can, they're usually too tied up to spend time on free work like that.

I'm really interested to see what you're doing with HP, drx. Is it going to be in-depth information on the prototypes themselves, or more about the history/details behind the game? Might be worthwhile to do some interwiki linking if the latter.
drx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:
I'm really interested to see what you're doing with HP, drx. Is it going to be in-depth information on the prototypes themselves, or more about the history/details behind the game? Might be worthwhile to do some interwiki linking if the latter.

I meant to do something like the latter. History, provenance, photos of the physical carts/EPROMs/etc. And all the odd bits of info on prototype stuff that don't really fit anywhere, not even on TCRF.

I wanted it to coincide with my plan to go through my entire collection, take photos, write the metainfo up, and release whatever unreleased prototypes I have left (which is, unfortunately, a lot; I have fallen so far behind it's not even funny). My plan is to start when I come back from Asia at the end of this year.

I find that TCRF is amazing for in-depth info about the ROMs themselves, so there's no reason in my mind to even try to replicate that. If I had any time at all for that kind of in-depth info hunting, I would probably contribute that info on TCRF itself.

So I definitely think I'd rather link to TCRF articles rather than try to duplicate that on the HP wiki. If there will be anything on the ROM itself, it will probably be shallow, rather than deep. Especially since like you said, getting new wiki content is not limited by the scope you have, but rather by the fact that there's nobody to do the work.

My time is limited, and there aren't many people who do the kind of thing I do, and my interest is mostly in the Sega side of things so we will see what will come of it in the end. This kind of metadata gathering is much less interesting than finding bits inside the ROMs so I doubt I'll have many people working on it either.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the time, I would be updating SNES Central with all the information I have accumulated over the past few years.

That's the thing though, I enjoy accumulating knowledge more than updating a website. I have several hundred prototypes to document, and that just isn't going to happen when I have 3-4 papers from my PHD work that I still have to write up and publish (not to mention that I will inevitably have to write up papers from my current work).

I think therein lies the problem - most of the people interested in unreleased games don't have the time to document everything. Making a Wiki would not improve the situation (AS FAR AS I KNOW, Unseen64 welcomes submissions).
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper, you can't let BMF run a scrapped games wiki. He's already banned me and nensondubois and countless others. He's ban happy. Useful contributors would be banned in droves.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathUser2929 wrote:
Xkeeper, you can't let BMF run a scrapped games wiki. He's already banned me and nensondubois and countless others. He's ban happy. Useful contributors would be banned in droves.

Please go away.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saying, when you ban a person, you also ban the information they have with them. Scrapped games would go unmentioned.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathUser2929 wrote:
Just saying, when you ban a person, you also ban the information they have with them. Scrapped games would go unmentioned.

Please go away.

This is not the site to discuss your bans on TCRF.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathUser2929 wrote:

I ban people that cause me and the majority of our other users nothing but headaches, which is the one thing that you seem to be really, really good at.

Go away.
Brain Breaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I've never done a Lost Levels wiki because I don't have faith that it would be filled out to my satisfaction, there's just too much out there. If all you want is a giant database of unreleased games, I feel like Unseen64 has you covered...what's needed more is actual information and research.

Instead, I've been working behind the scenes on a database of only the NES stuff, since that's an achievable goal. It's a longterm project, I'm at about year 3. I've probably got about 40 titles in there now through my own research that there isn't reference to online, so it should have a little something for everybody if I ever get it done.

I've been attempting the same thing on the Famicom side, mainly via my vintage Japanese magazine collection, and I've also come up with a number of titles that seem to have no reference on the Japanese web. It is slow going, though. Perhaps we can compare notes at some point?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain Breaker wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

I've been attempting the same thing on the Famicom side, mainly via my vintage Japanese magazine collection, and I've also come up with a number of titles that seem to have no reference on the Japanese web. It is slow going, though. Perhaps we can compare notes at some point?

Yes please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: