Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 pm

Some of my unreleased Megadrive games.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongAnimals

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Some of my unreleased Megadrive games. Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just came across this site, so I thought I'd post some of these up, which I coded in the 90s. Happy to answer any questions about these games.

Dragon's Lair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9xWbIhC-0Q

Wacky Races
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly8FqQQ2HIQ

I also did part of an unreleased version of Waterworld, but I can't find any links to that anywhere.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dragon's Lair prototype was released by MrMark0673 a few years ago.

http://segaage.com/auth/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=49&threadid=52638

Tis the nature of unreleased games, basically you have to hope that someone has a prototype of it that survived. I'm sure you know better than I do about data retention at game development companies, but it appears that a lot of stuff was lost simply because there were no backups.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'd never seen Wacky Races, super impressed that you got a Mario Kart effect out of the Genesis!

I scanned some Waterworld promotional material that at least has a screenshot, I'll try to dig that up sometime so you can have it.
KungFuFurby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wacky Races' ROM can be found online via a simple Google search (just make sure to specify the console). So can Waterworld's.

Here is some footage of Waterworld (it has some commentary, though):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq1pRb_KXxs

It looks like Waterworld was a port of the SNES version.

Interesting... Wacky Races seems to technically be an original (as in, the other versions don't have the same kind of gameplay... at least the ones that pre-date this one).
7HeroesForceBattle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you were with Eden Entertainment Software, correct? Some sites credit Waterworld to a "Data Design Interactive"...
On the Mobygames entry for EES, it says that the company had to close after a dropped contract. Is that true? Was it Waterworld?

Hmmmm... I suppose a stoat is a kind of long animal.
Anyway, you might be able to help me learn something I keep forgetting to find out.

Do you happen to recall who handled the various sound duties on Waterworld? The credits don't say who was responsible for any part of the audio development, and the music is different from the SNES version (which I recall used some tracks from the cancelled Green Lantern SNES game).

The credit info at GameFAQs is accurate to what is in the ROM, save that 1) the game specifies who programmed what section and 2) it's missing "Trimaran Section" programmer Scott Willilams, the generic "Ocean QA" and a couple special thanks for Clive Townsend (people who brought him food, apparently).

The high score table also includes a few names not in the credits: TRIPPA, JULIAN, TONY (which might be Antonio Argentieri) and JEAN. Some of those were presumably QA. I'm guessing JULIAN is Julian Scott.

Perhaps this unexpected code excerpt might jog your memory:

---

I'm also curious about a section at the start of the ROM:

I mainly want to know what the T-xxxx codes (long or short) are a reference to (I noticed Wacky Races has "T-70406-50", Joe & Mac has "T-103036-00", there's probably more). I assume they are some kind of internal (?) product code, possibly with extra details if you have the right key, but I'm out of my depth with this stuff. I'm guessing that 1994 was a typo.

Finally, this is an extremely unlikely, but do you happen to know anything about the Saturn Waterworld game? People don't seem to be quite sure how far it got.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly how far Saturn Waterworld got, it was done. At least, that's what Steve Woita (the programmer) says.
LongAnimals

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterworld wasn't a port of the SNES version, though it might have been developed alongside, I can't really remember.
That footage shows two of the gameplay sections, but there's a third one (done by me) which involves swimming around underwater, using a sort of Thrust mechanic.

Regarding Wacky Races, we were big fans of the original Mario Kart, and tried to keep a lot of those elements. I added the progressive powerup idea from Salamander or games of that type, which made it a little different from just collecting powerups.

KungFuFurby wrote:

Here is some footage of Waterworld (it has some commentary, though):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq1pRb_KXxs

It looks like Waterworld was a port of the SNES version.

Interesting... Wacky Races seems to technically be an original (as in, the other versions don't have the same kind of gameplay... at least the ones that pre-date this one).
LongAnimals

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was freelance, and I worked for both Eden and DDI simultaniously. ( I also did some other things for both companies, Ragnacenty / Soliel was one - we just handled various language conversions from the original Japanese)

Nope, that wasn't the reason Eden closed down, Waterworld wasn't anything to do with Eden. But they did have a number of unfortunate circumstances all coming together at once, which helped with their demise.

I'm Jason Stoat in the credits for Waterworld - I sometimes used that name for games I worked on which I didn't like very much. Check Predator 2 on Atari ST for instance Smile
(Occasionally I wasn't allowed to use that name, so I ended up not being in the credits at all! )

I can't remember who worked on the sound, sorry.

I vaguely remember the T codes - I think they were just the product codes issued by Sega for different SKUs.

7HeroesForceBattle wrote:
So you were with Eden Entertainment Software, correct? Some sites credit Waterworld to a "Data Design Interactive"...
On the Mobygames entry for EES, it says that the company had to close after a dropped contract. Is that true? Was it Waterworld?

Hmmmm... I suppose a stoat is a kind of long animal.
Anyway, you might be able to help me learn something I keep forgetting to find out.

Do you happen to recall who handled the various sound duties on Waterworld? The credits don't say who was responsible for any part of the audio development, and the music is different from the SNES version (which I recall used some tracks from the cancelled Green Lantern SNES game).

The credit info at GameFAQs is accurate to what is in the ROM, save that 1) the game specifies who programmed what section and 2) it's missing "Trimaran Section" programmer Scott Willilams, the generic "Ocean QA" and a couple special thanks for Clive Townsend (people who brought him food, apparently).

The high score table also includes a few names not in the credits: TRIPPA, JULIAN, TONY (which might be Antonio Argentieri) and JEAN. Some of those were presumably QA. I'm guessing JULIAN is Julian Scott.

Perhaps this unexpected code excerpt might jog your memory:

---

I'm also curious about a section at the start of the ROM:

I mainly want to know what the T-xxxx codes (long or short) are a reference to (I noticed Wacky Races has "T-70406-50", Joe & Mac has "T-103036-00", there's probably more). I assume they are some kind of internal (?) product code, possibly with extra details if you have the right key, but I'm out of my depth with this stuff. I'm guessing that 1994 was a typo.

Finally, this is an extremely unlikely, but do you happen to know anything about the Saturn Waterworld game? People don't seem to be quite sure how far it got.
codeman38

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7HeroesForceBattle wrote:

Waterworld appears to use Graftgold's sound driver (confirmed by GDRI's sound engine list), so it was most likely Jason Page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: