Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

Need help releasing betas anonymously

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Need help releasing betas anonymously Reply with quote

Heya all,

Sorry for not introducing myself properly, but I'm here mainly for one reason: I've got my hands on a few PS2 Online Beta Trial discs and I'd like to dump and release them anonymously. Now, I know that being Online Beta Trials they might not be in a playable form but I figured someone might want to check out the game files to see if there's any early unused content or even develop custom servers (as all of those games have been released and I've already seen custom servers for the final versions of some of those games on the net, so it shouldn't be too hard to mod them to work with these betas imho).

Still, as I said before, I'd like to release them anonymously for a couple of reasons and, while I did ask for help to TCRF's staff, they said that they were too big to be hosted on their wiki (the smallest one is about 1.5 GB) and so they told me to ask here too.

Just a couple of things before you suggest anything:
• First off, I won't release all my betas in a single run as I've got 'em in a lot, so I could be identified pretty easily if I do. I will release them all, but slowly.

•I know that the internet is skeptical on just about everything and for good reason, so with all the releases I can provide proof that these betas are genuine by taking a photo of the disc itself.

•I've already considered torrent (I know, it isn't really anonymous, but it's better than other alternatives I tought of - especially because I don't have access to a VPN) but I've got a pretty crappy upload speed on this connection, so it could take days to share even the smallest of these betas unless many people seed it.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Rolling Eyes
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried asking on Assembler Games? I know there has been some big releases done there. That said, unless the games you have are very notable, I doubt that anyone is going to bother to download them. Borman is another person to talk to, I know he specializes in disc based systems.
Arashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Have you tried asking on Assembler Games? I know there has been some big releases done there. That said, unless the games you have are very notable, I doubt that anyone is going to bother to download them. Borman is another person to talk to, I know he specializes in disc based systems.

They aren't really big releases, considering that the betas might not even be playable (even if some of those games are pretty famous) - but hey, I tried asking TCRF first because I know there are lots of ROM hackers there, and they might be the ones mostly interested in releases like this.

All I need are just some tips in staying anonymous while releasing those betas. I've already got some of those betas dumped on my HDD, but I really don't want to leak anything about myself.
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know if I would say there are "tons" of rom hackers out there, and even fewer that look at beta stuff. You'll probably get more interest if you give out a list of the games you have. I can almost guarantee if it is something like "Madden 2005" or "ATV Offroad Fury 3", you aren't going to get any. I'm not really aware of anyone besides Borman who actively looks at disc based games, just because the sheer size of the isos makes it a bit unwieldy to distribute. Really, I can only say there is maybe a handful of people who even look at cart-based games, which is pretty simple to do.
Mustard Broach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might just throw them up on Mega. While the bandwidth of a free account won't allow for many downloads, once one or two people download it, they could redistribute it less anonymously in a way that wouldn't be tied to you.
Arashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustard Broach wrote:
You might just throw them up on <a href="https://mega.co.nz">Mega</a>. While the bandwidth of a free account won't allow for many downloads, once one or two people download it, they could redistribute it less anonymously in a way that wouldn't be tied to you.

That's probably what I'm going to do, other people suggested it aswell. I'll probably just upload 'em using TOR or I2P for added privacy - all I want is just my IP and personal info to stay safe, I don't care if the nick I'm using ATM gets spammed around the net Wink

Evan wrote:
Yeah, I don't know if I would say there are "tons" of rom hackers out there, and even fewer that look at beta stuff. You'll probably get more interest if you give out a list of the games you have. I can almost guarantee if it is something like "Madden 2005" or "ATV Offroad Fury 3", you aren't going to get any. I'm not really aware of anyone besides Borman who actively looks at disc based games, just because the sheer size of the isos makes it a bit unwieldy to distribute. Really, I can only say there is maybe a handful of people who even look at cart-based games, which is pretty simple to do.

As I said in my original post, I won't reveal ALL of the betas I have as that'll leave me identifiable, but here are some of the big-name ones:

Metal Gear Solid Subsistence | Ver 0.01 | Creation Date 16/02/06 | Product Code TLES-82043
Monster Hunter | Ver 0.1 | Creation Date 08/09/04 | Product Code TLES-52707
Jak X | Ver 0.01 | Creation Date 08/07/05 | Product Code TCES-53286
Killzone | Ver 1.00 | Creation Date 29/7/04 | Product Code TCES-52004
...Plus some other "small name" ones

As I said, those are all from Playstation 2's Online Beta Trial so they aren't nearly as rare as other betas out there... In fact, I'm pretty surprised that they haven't been dumped already
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: