Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

Handi Snax Video Game Contest - early 90's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beeshu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Handi Snax Video Game Contest - early 90's Reply with quote

Handi Snax held a contest in the early 90's (somewhere between 1992 and 1994) where the victor would be put into a video game for the NES. Does anybody know if this game ever released to the public and what it's title was? I can just as easily imagine Nabisco handing the winner a copy of Monster Party with their name replacing "Mark."
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I don't remember this at all. Let's have some info. Do you have any contest ads?
Beeshu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I only remember the ads being on television because of how royally obnoxious the kid on the commercial was. But I'd imagine they would have had some promotions in magazines and on Nabisco boxes, so I'll do some sleuthing. Maybe in old issues of Nintendo Power (because it was an NES game, I believe) or maybe on a food package collector's (yes they do exist) website. Got nothing else to do between lab counts.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody contact Matt at www.x-entertainment.com - that guy has more tapes of worthless 80s commercials than lugnut.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeshu, I'm assuming you're in the USA somewhere.. what region are you in?
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading about a "we will put you in a game" contest in the magazines way back. I seem to remember it being an ad in the 16 bit era but I don't remember if it was in affiliation with Nabisco or not.
Beeshu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Somebody contact Matt at www.x-entertainment.com - that guy has more tapes of worthless 80s commercials than lugnut.

We must have some kind of hive mind going, because I did that right after RedEye asked about the ads. :D

And Kap, I'm in Michigan, though I remember being in Oklahoma when the contest concluded.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that reminds me of something cool. Anyone remember the Bubblicious/Sega Ooga Booga contest? I entered, and won third prize- a whole box of Bubblicious gum. I still have 2 or 3 packs somewhere.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool-Aid had a contest back during the early/mid-90's with Nintendo, similar to the Handi-Snax contest (both products were manufactored by Kraft/General Foods at that time IIRC), where the winner would be in his/her own SNES game. According to Nintendo's customer service phoneline, that prize was never awarded.
Blackjax
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one of these 'Put you in a game' contests I remember seeing any verification for was for Super Empire Strikes Back for SNES. One of the rebel soldiers in one of the cut scenes was someone who won a contest. I don't think they gave his name, only his face.

It was in one of the gaming magazines in the 90s

[edit: oh, and it was one of the soldiers on Hoth.]
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the hidden room in The Legend of Zelda: aLttP with the name of the nintendo power winner.
Tato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also seem to recall a contest SEGA ran together with McDonalds where the winner would see his game concept turned into reality, although I'm sure the winner's ideas were barely used at all. I don't know what became of the contest though.
Beeshu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Kool-Aid had a contest back during the early/mid-90's with Nintendo, similar to the Handi-Snax contest (both products were manufactored by Kraft/General Foods at that time IIRC), where the winner would be in his/her own SNES game. According to Nintendo's customer service phoneline, that prize was never awarded.

You know, I could very well be combining commercials in my head since both Kool-Aid and Handi-Snacks had done commercials in conjunction with Nintendo. And now that you mention it, Kool-Aid sounds more like what was being plugged.

But weird, it seems like if both companies put their time and resources into a contest like this that someone would have won it. They probably had the game all made up anyway and just had to plug in the character sprite and name.
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear wrote:
There's the hidden room in The Legend of Zelda: aLttP with the name of the nintendo power winner.

Too bad Nintendo kinda screwed him and put his name in a room that only appears if the game glitches (loaded in the event that a correct-room-data-verfication-test fails). I remember I got it once when going to that hidden room with a heart piece on the cliff near the Sanctuary, and when I left the room I was sent back to Link's House.

And that Super Empire Strikes Back contest was EGM, still got it somewhere if anyone's really interested.
portnoyd
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone brought this up when I was still working at Nabisco.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this contest talk reminded me of a Sega Visions contest in which the grand prize was a Sega VR, that unreleased virtual reality headset. I wonder what the winner (if any) got instead of the headset?
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
All this contest talk reminded me of a Sega Visions contest in which the grand prize was a Sega VR, that unreleased virtual reality headset. I wonder what the winner (if any) got instead of the headset?

A copy of Swordquest: Airworld. ^_^
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the NP Ken Griffey Jr. contest (a trip to the entire 1994 World Series).
Well, they did get a free Ken Griffey Jr. game, so I guess they didn't go completely prizeless.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading through an old back-issue of Nintendo Power during the NES days, and they had a design contest for kids where the top 10 finalists went to washington DC and competed for various prizes.

Useless factoid: the facing page has an interview with Jay Leno stating he likes "adventure games like the Legend of Zelda and Contra rather than old-school shoot-em` ups." I didn't know there were "old-school" NES games in 1988...[/code]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: