Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 am

Restoring an M82 - Need front art/label

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Restoring an M82 - Need front art/label Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I just received a relic from the past, an M82, hopefully working and all that jazz. This thing is very personal and dear to me, as it''s the very M82 that used to be on display at my local toy store when I was a kid.

Either way, I was hoping to sort of spitshine the whole thing and have it ready and running on display as part of the retro exhibition area of a local Sci-Fi Festival this spring, and I'm now hoping to be able to print a new label for the front panel on it, as the old one hasn't exactly survived 25 years of being in storage.

You can see it in this picture here
(Front label being the thingy that says; THE CONTROL DECK THAT BRINGS HOME REAL ARCADE VIDEO! NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER!)

If anyone has this piece of artwork in some archive, tucked away, that'd be awesome. Same applies if someone has a similar unit and could just do a set of close up shots of theirs or something (or better; scan it)
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to be a very difficult piece to reproduce without maybe scanning someone else's yourself, good luck!

I actually suggest scanning yours and cleaning it up in Photoshop.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of what I feared. Heck, most M82s I've seen are just the unit and not "complete" with a display case for it (This one is partly broken, though, as the holster for the Zapper has been torn off, so would have to create a new one of some sort)

But as you say, fortunately, it probably shouldn't be too hard to replicate (assuming I'll get ahold of the artwork for all the boxes displayed on it).
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Maybe try and get in touch with the GameTechUS guy on YouTube. He's been through one of those with a fine toothed comb. He might be able to help diagnose any issues, and possibly point you in the direction of an owner with a clean one for high res photos or scanning. Just a thought.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a shot. Thanks :)

System works perfectly. Put up a terribly edited video on my Facebook the same day as I got home with it; YouTube mirror here.

Only issue is that the pin/switch to set the timer with on the back seems to be broken off, so it's stuck at 30 sec resets at the moment. Hopefully, if I can't replace the switch on short notice, at least I can probably use something like a screw driver or something to gently turn it to other positions.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCM and Mauser are great for off the shelf components.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like he didn't have his M82 anymore. (Also, seems like he didn't have a stand w/holster when he had it either - darn) Did give me a few handy tips on how to shine it up a bit, though.

Guess the search continues or the need for a few moments of Photoshop intensifies (+got access to a 3D printer, so at least I can print a new holster if I can get the design/measurements for that too).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: