Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

Only 4 threads were posted in in 2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Only 4 threads were posted in in 2016 Reply with quote

What's going on? No new discovories? Staff busy with IRL stuff? What?
Tongueman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were threads, but they couldn't escape the Coleco Chameleon event horizon.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message board have been dying everywhere. The thing is, everyone has moved onto Twitter or Youtube or whatever, and the poor message boards have been the casualty. If Lost Levels were getting regular updates, though, there probably would be more activity. There are also fewer and fewer new things from the pre-PS1 era being discovered, and if they are, usually that is posted on Nintendo Age or something.

I mean, we have a whole bunch of Famicom prototypes, but have not been able to find a venue to release them. The fact is, most people don't care about these, and that drags down motivation to release them properly.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is partially because we got old. some messageboards can still thrive, but usually they have new, younger users that will come in. i still check to see if theres any new posts regularly enough, plus 2016 has only been a few handfuls of weeks so far. that sting chameleon song from mmx is stuck in my head right now.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Message board have been dying everywhere. The thing is, everyone has moved onto Twitter or Youtube or whatever, and the poor message boards have been the casualty. If Lost Levels were getting regular updates, though, there probably would be more activity. There are also fewer and fewer new things from the pre-PS1 era being discovered, and if they are, usually that is posted on Nintendo Age or something.

I mean, we have a whole bunch of Famicom prototypes, but have not been able to find a venue to release them. The fact is, most people don't care about these, and that drags down motivation to release them properly.

If you're just sitting on a vault of prototypes that need let go, I'd be more than willing to try dedicating some time to motivating some TCRF articles up. :P

Also does anybody else think NintendoAge is a garbage forum or is it just me? I can't use their site without wanting to poke my eyes out.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to "why isn't this forum active anymore?" is "this website is THIRTEEN YEARS OLD."

I want to officially shut this down, but the problem is there aren't any good, kiddie-free communities online to discuss preserving video game history. What we had that I think nobody else had was a low tolerance for that sort of thing, we moderated the heck out of this forum and chased away people who weren't really contributing. I don't know where to hang out and talk about preserving video game history without rolling my eyes every five seconds.
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Message board have been dying everywhere.

I remember Evan's forum being fairly dead.
The one day it seemed like there was lots of new posts, but no it was just spambots talking to each other. Razz
Tongueman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I don't know where to hang out and talk about preserving video game history without rolling my eyes every five seconds.

The lounge at a retirement home?

My answer to these sorts of things is, "Why shut it down if there isn't a technologically-superior equivalent: A searchable, permanent, linkable, hierarchical, chronologically-ordered discussion that everybody can contribute to?"

Modern guff like Twitter or Facebook are sorely lacking in at least one of these things, just as texts can't replace the telephone when you really need it.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we could start posting more threads.. maybe overall people are more inclined to post on aa or na or dp or whatever else. i think if we tried to make an effort to put discussion on here that it'd pick back up. hell we got 8 new posts on the board already!
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital Press was really the centralized place to talk about obscurities in classic games. But when they closed down the prototypes subforum, it was all over. The people who took over for Joe Santulli really knew nothing about the community they were taking over.

The thing is, although I have put up some prototype information on SNES Central (and even linked back here), what we are interested in is incredibly niche. Though I do think it is important, I don't think you can really convince the Twitter generation to sit down and see relevance of looking at a prototype of a shitty old game that has 23 bytes different from the final version. I posted many threads about prototype releases like this, and got no replies. I get it, though, it isn't that exciting. I basically stopped posting such threads last year.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the excitement is limited to one person, but hits deep, it's worth it.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't make this forum disappear from the internet or anything, but this entire website either needs to admit that it's not an ongoing concern of mine and just be kept up for archival reasons, or it needs to be reused for something that is actually active. Otherwise it just looks like a dead website, and I don't like that!
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just make a post to that effect on the front page.
Niiue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:

What prototypes, if you don't mind me asking?
Evan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of them have already been leaked out. There were a bunch of FDS prototypes, and some Famicom ones. I gave the Famicom ones to NESWorld, but Martin is probably busy. I actually haven't looked at them myself. The FDS ones should already be out there somewhere. If xkeeper is keen to get them out, he is free to tackle that task, if he gets a hold of me!
drx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you a PM. I'll be relaunching my site soonish (~next week maybe) and releasing my remaining prototypes weekly or so. As I mentioned elsewhere I'm turning it into a wiki catalog of every prototype that's out there, because there isn't really a central list of what's released/unreleased/etc. Everything is always siloed by whatever the website owner happens to be most interested in, and that's fine, but we kinda need a place to keep track of everything that happens in one place, in my opinion anyway, especially for the not-so-exciting ROMs (for the interesting ones there's already TCRF to an extent, which I have no intention of competing with).

I have a small team of people with whom I'm going to go through the remaining stuff I have, posting about it in appropriate places, taking screenshots, etc.

If you'd like I could give the same treatment to your FDS/Famicom protos, but if you go with Xkeeper that's cool too, as long as someone takes care of it. I'm sure either way TCRF will dissect them and I will add them to my catalog.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx wrote:
As I mentioned elsewhere I'm turning it into a wiki catalog of every prototype that's out there, because there isn't really a central list of what's released/unreleased/etc. Everything is always siloed by whatever the website owner happens to be most interested in, and that's fine, but we kinda need a place to keep track of everything that happens in one place, in my opinion anyway, especially for the not-so-exciting ROMs (for the interesting ones there's already TCRF to an extent, which I have no intention of competing with).
In case it's of any help, you can use the wiki I already set up at versionhistory.com if you want. May need a few updates and a spam filter, but I think it's fully functional already.

My intentions were to cover prototypes, regional variations and re-releases, and maybe other kind of media other than videogames... but it's currently on hold until I get to finish this year's real-life projects, which may be done by mid-December if everything goes as planned. =|
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I wouldn't make this forum disappear from the internet or anything, but this entire website either needs to admit that it's not an ongoing concern of mine and just be kept up for archival reasons, or it needs to be reused for something that is actually active. Otherwise it just looks like a dead website, and I don't like that!

Oh, wish you'd have preserved theredeye.net

I loved that darling little cozy website.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sardius Experience was one we'll never forget.

I WANT TEH ROMZ!!! Very Happy
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, when you realize you've been talking to some these random internet folks for getting close to 20 years now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: