Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:12 am

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Neo-Geo)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Ninja Gaiden 2 (Neo-Geo) Reply with quote

Apparently at some point when Tecmo was supporting the Neo-Geo, they were planning on making a Ninja Gaiden game for the platform. Most of the information I've found are anecdotal (taken from the Japanese Wikipedia and a few forums), so I can't vouch for its accuracy. Here's what I know about the game thus far.

It was going to be called "Ninja Gaiden 2" because it was meant to be a sequel to the original arcade game. It had nothing to do with the NES game Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos. Naturally, it was planned to be a beat-'em-up, instead of the Castlevania-like platform game format used by the console installments. The game was made specifically for the western market, but got negative feedback during location testing and was canned. The location testing was conducted in various arcades in the Ochanomizu region of Tokyo around July 1994. Apparently there were at least three playable characters.

Last edited by Johnny Undaunted on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Celine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a small article about it in an EGM(?) issue confirming the USA tests.

Another cool cancelled NeoGeo game briefly talked on western mags was Crystalis sequel for NG CD.

Also was surprised to learn that ADK had planned a new World Heroes for NGP.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I's like to see some eviedecne of said EGM scan.
Celine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

647 wrote:
I's like to see some eviedecne of said EGM scan.

Sorry haven't take a screenshot that time.
Linquesan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rumored game just sprung into my mind today. After a quick google search, I rediscovered this thread and another thread on an xbox forums that lead to this article, claiming the supposed Ninja Gaiden 2 may have been a misidentified game from another Neo Geo developer: http://neogeofreak.com/tossups/touchclass.htm

I'd like to know if anything else has come up about this game (or even the rumored Crystalis sequel mentioned there as well).
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That page is from 2000. I'm not sure if it's rude to link to other forums, but one user in the Gamengai forums insists that the game did exists at one point and that he even saw a photo of the POP display for the game. It was supposed to have three playable characters apparently.
http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22337
http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24271
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting news from Shou via the GamenGai forums. Looks like the game does exists after all.
http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3108

Quote:
So I had drinks with someone who worked at Tecmo back in the day, after much alcohol, it was revealed that they threw out a bunch of classic stuff during a power outage one day including an Argos no Senshi belt used for promos!

However, I did get that the Neo Geo game is backed up but only accessible by PC98s. Since I have a PC98, I've asked to see if I can recover the code....
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celine wrote:

Another cool cancelled NeoGeo game briefly talked on western mags was Crystalis sequel for NG CD.

Yep.

Crystalis II along with Magician Lord 2.
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot, the not-released Ninja Gaiden 4 for Megadrive.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/10/04/ninja-gaiden-mdg-betaunreleased/

There's a beta/proto ROM online but its not even worth the time it takes to Google it.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That proto has been around for a long time. My memory's a little hazy, but I seem to recall playing this game as far back as the late 90's. It might be among the first unreleased games that got leaked to the public. Its funny thinking back, to how many people back then thought this game was an actual commercially released product in Japan, and not a beta. I do wonder who the owner was that released it.
Evan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be an old BBS release. Some limited alphas were released initially on BBSes, such as Real Shitty Batman. If so, it might very well be possible that the original source is gone.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parallaxscroll wrote:
Almost forgot, the not-released Ninja Gaiden 4 for Megadrive.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/10/04/ninja-gaiden-mdg-betaunreleased/

Aside from the fact that the ROM has been leaked for more than decade now, the game isn't even titled Ninja Gaiden IV. That's just some bullshit name EGM made up for it.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidence of the game's existence has finally surfaced from an old flyer.

http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/161581409720/ninja-gaiden-ii-ninja%E5%A4%96%E4%BC%9Dii-neo-geo-tecmo-an
https://twitter.com/ShiN25548268/status/872768971321167872
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot more colorful than I was expecting for a Ninja Gaiden game.

Looks fun though- I'd definitely play it! I hope the prototype turns up...
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's such a shame they skipped out on it. Would have preferred to play this over whatever the hell they actually released on Neo-Geo (I think it was Tecmo Cup Soccer).

The titling is pretty odd though. I understand the logic behind the naming, but the original Ninja Gaiden was a few years old when this Neo-Geo version was in development and most people probably associated "Ninja Gaiden 2" with the sequel to the more popular NES game. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in the game underperforming during location tests (assuming the location tests were conducted in the U.S.).

My translation of the article:

Quote:
Tecmo is announcing their first full-scale action game since the previous Ninja Gaiden with 200% the excitement.

It's the end of the century and criminal organizations from around the world are operating in secrecy, forming a unified syndicate behind the scenes. The organization MNES, having observed this, have sent in three of their agents to deal with this situation. This is their story.

The first of our three heroes is Ryu, who was rumored to be the protagonist of the previous Ninja Gaiden. He is a wandering saboteur whose true identity is unknown even to the organization he works for. Ryu is an orthodox fighter who is balanced in both, offense and defense. The second warrior is Rash, a former football player who is now an agent of MNES while also aspiring to become an actor. He is a powerful fighter with a surprisingly sensitive side. The last of our trio is Ran, a young girl who is attending idol school and has joined this operation in order to put her name out there. She's not the strongest, but she can hold for herself with her fast and varied moves.

We'll look forward to when we can enjoy this one in the arcades.
KGRAMR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somehow there's a prototype of this game alive, i would love to see it in motion! Huge Ninja Gaiden fan here but, knowing the Neo Geo collector circle, they'll probably find it to never release it online all just for a stupid production number, with minimal chances of appearing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: