Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 am

SNES Rayman found

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunder Force

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: SNES Rayman found Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL5fSliA2bD/

Quote:
michelancel Incroyable !!!! We have found the old unique Rayman SNES ROM !!!! It was sleeping for 24 years ..... Time to wake it up !!!!

http://kotaku.com/long-lost-snes-rayman-game-discovered-after-24-years-1788123445

Quote:

Long Lost SNES Rayman Game Discovered After 24 Years

When Michel Ancel isn’t teasing fans with concept art for a Beyond Good & Evil sequel that was announced eight years ago, he’s apparently searching for a long lost build of Rayman for the SNES. His efforts seem to have paid off earlier today when he discovered an EPROM (erasable programmable read-only memory) of the ancient, never released game.

The creator of Rayman uploaded images to Instagram showing both the ROM inserted into an SNES and a screenshot from the game. This came several days after Ancel posted an image mourning the lost build of the game, saying “All these pixels are lost, like tears in the rain.â€Â

It’s unclear where Ancel discovered this gaming artifact, or what he plans to do with it, but he didn’t hide his excitement at finding a work of love and passion he thought he’d lost forever.

The first Rayman was released on the PlayStation and Jaguar in 1995, but was apparently originally intended to come out on the SNES. According to Unseen64,

“The game featured a 2 players coop mode and different graphics. It seems that Ubisoft decided to move the project to the new CD-Rom consoles and they hired animators from a cartoon company which has considerably improved the graphics.â€Â
Youloute

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it wasn't found by Michel Ancel. He only reuploaded the pictures on his Instagram account. I talked about this prototype with one of his colleagues yesterday and wrote a little post on Tumblr:
Quote:
This prototype has been found by Rayman co-creator Frédéric Houde who worked on it alongside with Michel Ancel. According to Mr Houde, they put a few other demos on cartridge but he doesn’t know if he still has them (these cartridges may have been reused for other projects).
The cartridge was labeled “RAYDEM†and he didn’t remember which game it was so he asked someone who still has an SNES at home to take a look at it.
(Spoiler: RAYDEM means RAYman DEMo)

Only one level is playable / available in this demo (the one with the blue background) and there aren’t any enemies. A video should be available very soon.
The prototype runs on a stock SNES, not on SNES CD. From what I’ve read, Michel Ancel pitched Rayman to Ubisoft as an SNES CD game because he and his team had already planned too many levels and they thought the game wouldn’t fit into a cartridge. They worked on the Jaguar version after the SNES CD was shelved.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a phone call with the prototype owner, they'll release the untouched ROM as part of the campaign's successful funding. He just wants to make sure he recouped his investment in the game, which I can't fault him for.

And if you can, meaning you'd be willing to lose $5,000 to dump a licensed SNES platformer, we should talk!
neomerge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always heard of this but never pictured this would ever see the light of day. Pretty neat how it was found. I'd love to try it if it's ever dumped but its a shame they didn't get further along in development.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Youloute

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Frank: I would love to help but my current lifestyle doesn't allow me to spend a lot of money.

Here is the first video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BL_wNhGALF8/?taken-by=michelancel
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I had a phone call with the prototype owner, they'll release the untouched ROM as part of the campaign's successful funding. He just wants to make sure he recouped his investment in the game, which I can't fault him for.

And if you can, meaning you'd be willing to lose $5,000 to dump a licensed SNES platformer, we should talk!

Which campaign is this? A Rayman one? Or are you talking about Socks the Cat in the wrong thread?

I'd pay $5000 for a Super NES platformer with the right license, like Blake's 7 or Ruin Explorers or Mystery Science Theater 3000 or maybe Capitol Critters but only if the roach guy was playable.
neomerge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He must've meant to reply to the other thread about socks the cat...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there's no way I'd pay 5,000 for that proto. Not when I know it's a single level with no enemies. I probably won't play it even if the thing were released anyway tho. I just like reading about protos. Not as big on playing them. I could see 5,000 for a early Sonic 1 proto tho.
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathUser2929 wrote:
Wow, there's no way I'd pay 5,000 for that proto. Not when I know it's a single level with no enemies. I probably won't play it even if the thing were released anyway tho. I just like reading about protos. Not as big on playing them. I could see 5,000 for a early Sonic 1 proto tho.

In case it needs to be reiterated, Frank posted in the wrong topic, he was talking about the campaign for Socks. Nobody that's still working in the game industry and putting out games is going to find old protos and dangle it over people for some thousands of dollars. It wouldn't make sense.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAUGHING OUT LOUD, that's pretty funny then.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, how did I reply to the wrong topic? that's awesome.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kotaku.com/a-prototype-build-of-the-never-completed-snes-rayman-ga-1796608513

It was released.

http://hiddenpalace.org/Rayman_(SNES_prototype)
neomerge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its really crazy how this even got dumped. I never imagined it would be with it being in Ancel's hands and all.
Youloute

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neomerge wrote:
I never imagined it would be with it being in Ancel's hands and all.

Well...
Quote:
This prototype has been found by Rayman co-creator Frédéric Houde

It's kinda depressing to read the same story with the same inaccuracies in every articles on this prototype (which isn't the only one they produced).
KGRAMR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of April 13 2017, the second prototype has been found but the thrid one, while it was found, it refuses to work.
http://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/frederic-houde-rayman/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: