The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

Sunsoft's VS Lionex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that footage. It does resemble Gauntlet a bit. You're right that it doesn't look like a terribly exciting game, but I'd still love to try it.

If the guy is willing to share the data for a price, I'll be willing to pitch in whatever I can to help preserve it.
Brain Breaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, glad I checked in here for the first time in a while. Thank you very much for posting those videos.

Here's a brief write-up from the December '86 issue of Game Boy, from an article about the '86 AM Show:

They essentially say that it doesn't really cut it as an arcade game, and that they expect better from Sunsoft. Oddly, they cite the completely obscure and forgotten Pettan Pyuu as an example of Sunsoft's better games...

Interestingly, the very next page of the magazine is a preview of the soon to be released Dead Zone. As others have previously said here, although the games are probably not directly related, their simultaneous development seems to have created at least some minor cross references.

There may be a few other small articles like this on the game (like the Famitsu one previously posted), but I'd have to comb through my magazines to confirm that.

In any case, I may be willing to pay a significant sum to see both this and VS. Madoola get released, so please let me know if I can help.
Brain Breaker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, in the continuing adventures of Lionex...

I found this in an October, 1986 AM Show report in the 12/86 issue of Beep. It's a picture of Sunsoft's booth, where they were clearly showcasing the game, as well as a brief write-up, which I have translated below:

"The world-controlling mother computer, Lionex, has suddenly rebelled. Can you, the cyborg warrior, rise up and, evading its attacks, ultimately destroy Lionex?

With this story begins "Lionex", an Action-RPG style game running on Nintendo's VS system. Advancing by systematically destroying the enemy bases scattered throughout the labyrinthine stages while collecting the various items dropped by defeated enemies (power refills, types of weapons, etc.) somehow gives it an RPG-ish feel. However, maybe it's just me, but as an arcade game I have the feeling that the content is somewhat lacking."
innocuous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.

well, not exactly "news" but Lionex has been dumped and RE'd (
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13217); ROM currently unreleased and researcher is not given permission to distribute.

the research notes included in this post contain the decryption algorithm and the memory mapping information.

i've forwarded this information to the MESS community.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its good to know Lionex is safe. Hopefully we might all get a chance to try it someday.

Has Vs. Wing of Madoola been backed up as well?
Gazimaluke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really interested in finding video of Lionex. I'm making a long video about the history of Sunsoft and would really like to have some actual footage from the game.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JFTOlpzOOM
Gazimaluke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't do my searching very well did I haha. Thanks Smile
Gazimaluke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uncovered a little bit of information on Lionex during my Sunsoft research. This qoute from former Sunsoft employee Kenji Sada.

"I know the game, it was under development for a long time and working in the office of Sun-Elec.
Mr. Yoshitaka Kawabe who developed “Route 16 Turbo” was assigned at the project.
I don’t know the reason why its release was cancelled, but I think it was because it’s graphics looked cheap compared to other arcade games of those days.”

The whole article can be found here: http://www.vgarc.org/vgarc-originals/the-history-of-sunsoft-part-2/
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what we have here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5w8QvYevLg
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
Look what we have here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5w8QvYevLg

Nice find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: