Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 am

The end of the game.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Death Adder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: The end of the game.com Reply with quote

Howdy, y'all.

This has been in the works for far too long and today, I'm nauseous to announce that:

“The end of the game.com” rides again.
www.diskman.com/presents/gamecom

Yep. My formerly threadbare website about a handheld game system that's even less enjoyable than the Supervision [!!]... is back. Now bloated with far more information than you'll ever care to know, to experience it is a grand adventure in masochism. (Though still less painful than actually playing game.com games.)

If you're wondering why I've wasted so much time building a virtual shrine to such a useless piece of plastic stuffed with shoddy electrical components, it's simple: I did it because I knew no one else would. Amen.

So come on by and relive all your game.com favorites!
(I'd say, "You'll be glad you did," but we both know you'll regret it.)
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I played my share of game.com back in the day; my brother had one that he took everywhere. I'm especially liking the interviews!
Death Adder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the site.

Here's today's update:

Added some details and screenshots for Holyfield Boxing, NBA Live '99, and Small Soldiers to the rumored games page. This info was mostly scooped from the archived website of developer Handheld Games.

game.com rumored games page
Death Adder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's update:

When I discovered that the UK version of the game.com Internet package featured a slightly different box, manual, and cartridge label than the US version, not to mention additional inserts, my initial reaction was, “No. NO! NOOOOO!!” I bought it anyway, knowing full well I'd have to scan everything. Yuck. But now the dirty deed is done, and the downloads are waiting for you over on the scans page.
Death Adder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1999 Tiger Electronics toy fair catalog recently landed on my doorstep with a big ol' thud, which would have been fine – if I didn't have to scan it. Sadly, duty calls. So I brought it inside, snipped its binding rings, carefully removed all of its game.com related pages, aaaaand... D'OH!! The pages were too wide to fit any of my scanners! Grrrr! Thanks, Tiger: you have screwed me again.

But, whatever. After a bit of disgruntled scanner shopping, I found myself in possession of a brand new Plustek OpticSlim 1180 jumbo flatbed scanner (very expen$ive): perfect for the task of properly archiving the aforementioned catalog pages.

And... HEY!! There's some interesting stuff here, y'all: namely info & pics for a slew of unreleased games. So have a look!
Death Adder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High time I added some new interviews, isn't it? After all, I had two former Tiger employees on the horn back in June of 2020 [!]. Why not finally share our convos with the world?

First up is Anthony Grimaud, who was the Regional European Sales Director at Tiger Electronics from 1995 - 2002. Then we have Marc Rosenberg, the Senior Vice President of Marketing at Tiger Electronics from 1987 - 1998, and Executive Vice President of Marketing from 1998 - 2003. Give 'em some applause!

These gentlemen were kind enough to share their unique, firsthand insight into the ups and downs of the game.com, and of Tiger in general. The resulting interviews – which I've just finished properly transcribing and editing – are the most in-depth and extensive yet, to appear on this website!

Anthony Grimaud interview
Marc Rosenberg interview
Death Adder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably be packing a suitcase for my imminent trip to Japan - especially since I've been unable to visit for the past three years [!] - but what the hell: Let's make the game.com a priority.

I'd be a Halloweenie if I missed the "opportunity" to announce the discovery of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night prototype (or as I like to call it, "Simfauxny of the Naught") in time for the upcoming holiday. So... BOO! I'm announcing it.

Go to the unreleased games page, where you'll find a link to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Click that link, et voilĂ : Drac is back. I've also added the game's icon to the cartridge icons page.

BTW: In case you're curious about the origins of this prototype, I invite you to read some of this website's recent updates: a few of which snuck in just now! *wink*

Also, suffer through this video if you like...

https://youtu.be/G9p2ceWSWYI
Death Adder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's have another interview, eh? Today it's Brian Rubash, who was the Director of Web Marketing at Tiger Electronics from 1997 - 2002. A very enthusiastic fellow indeed, Brian was kind enough to spend several hours on the phone with me back in 2020, rapping about the game.com and his favorite company. It is, so far, the longest and most detailed interview posted to the website, so be sure to give it a good read!

https://www.diskman.com/presents/gamecom/brianrubash.htm
Death Adder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put myself through the horror of recording the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night soundtrack – via real hardware of course – so if it tickles your fancy you may now listen to it online, or download it. I personally recommend neither option.

https://www.diskman.com/presents/gamecom/music.htm
Death Adder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very impressive, indepth vid about the Castlevania prototype was upped to PooTube today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jwtM3EamcQ

It's pretty cool, Beavis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: