Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

Damn. The Patriots were right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Damn. The Patriots were right. Reply with quote

There _is_ too much info out there. I just got the full run of Goodnes roms...

Six dumps of Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt? Fifteen of All-Pro Basketball? There should be a concerted effort to eliminate some of the weaker, impure roms. Only those SUPERIOR roms will be left alive! THERE MUST BE A FINAL SOLUTION TO THE EXTRANEOUS ROM PROBLEM!

heh. I'm just flabbergasted at how many damn different dumps there are.
nateJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There sure are. Worse yet, most of the dumps of the same game don't have any noticable differences, at least not in-game. Whether the hex code is different I don't know; never looked.

-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference in some of those roms are tags that some sites added, either on the rom header, or the rom itself; some people still did that, but thankfully a few of them are coming around and understanding the problem.

Also, a lot of these alternate dumps are the correct ones, as has been evidenced by the redumps some people in this board have done.

If only more people listened...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blackjax
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember too, back in the early days, many of the ROMs came from Pirate CDs, especially the Damaged Cybernetics ones. Then there were the FFE ROMs, different formats like PasoFami split file that needed to be combined into iNES images. THere was yet another fomat that had this huge header that only one emu used, but I can't remember the name of that one. Some are just simply bad dumps.

And of course the usual things - "DiskDude!" in the header, tags at the end, or simply a screwup in the GoodNES database.

There is a reason for it all, but it baffles me why people want to collect EVERY version.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
THere was yet another fomat that had this huge header that only one emu used, but I can't remember the name of that one.

I suspect it's the "Famicom" emulator's needlessly bloated *.fam format you're thinking of.
LocalH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackjax wrote:
There is a reason for it all, but it baffles me why so people want to collect EVERY version.

Agreed. I could see keeping known different versions, and I could also see keeping ROMs with intros, although I have yet to see a ROM with an intro on the NES. You know, do like TOSEC and add [cr Whoever] if there's an intro.

Oh, and trainers suck cock. But ROM and RAM addresses that one can train themselves with a PAR/GG are good. But actually modifying the code to add a trainer is fucking ignorant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: