Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:39 am

Upcoming Leisure Suit Larry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Upcoming Leisure Suit Larry. Reply with quote

Well, finally. Is everybody as excited as I am about this title? I hope as many people as possible buy the new Larry. Hopefully if it does well, LucasArts will reconsider releasing Sam & Max.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't Larry. It's a cheap, shitty knockoff that has nothing to do with the original character, nor the original author.

I'll pass.

In other news, am I the only one that's glad that Sierra is being shut down? Bastards deserve it. ¬¬
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't going to affect the status of Sam & Max. Sam & Max is an adventure game, Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude is specifically designed NOT to be an adventure game. The team working on it are passionate, die-hard Larry fans (I personally made an effort to quiz them, they're legit), but Sierra just does not believe an adventure game will sell.

Are there any real impressions of the E3 demo floating around? If not, I'll whip something up here.
Ancient Oldie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a playable demo out there? I had similar thoughts to Kitsune on the game when I read about it in some gaming mag. Also, if it's not an adventure game, then what is it?
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamepro said that it was just a collection of minigames which have the objective of getting the girl. So it's not a real adventure game.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient Oldie wrote:
Is there a playable demo out there? I had similar thoughts to Kitsune on the game when I read about it in some gaming mag. Also, if it's not an adventure game, then what is it?

Well, there was at E3. And basically yeah, it's a series of minigames strung together. Score high on all of a particular girl's games, and Larry "scores."
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, after playing through King's Quest 4 this last weekend it made me miss the old Sierra adventure games. Larry why have you forsaken the world? Why?

I still need to give the LucasArts games a play through. The idea of not being able to die all the time kind of appeals to me after playing a Sierra game again.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sierra reissued all those old games like they did in the mid-to-late 90's with Phantasmagoria, King's Quest and Gabriel Knight, but made them XP compatible, they would make tons of money. Unfortunately that would mean, you know, DOING SOMETHING, so they won't bother.

Seriously, I think that doing such a thing would cost too much, what with licensing and royalty fees.

Too bad they're going out of business.
treeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sierra gave me TONS of great games back in my DOS days, I'm actually quite disappointed that they are being closed down...
merp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I don't play enough games anymore. I had no idea Sierra was going out of business. I work too much...

I bought a PS2 AGAIN not too long ago, maybe 3 months, with seven games. Five are still shrinkwrapped :P
Beeshu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being six or seven when we first bought a Mac IIci and we went to Electronics Boutique to see what games were available. There, a female employee, matter-of-fact and straight-faced, advised my dad to buy me Leisure Suit Larry. Oh, how the store's changed. Now all they want to do is fill you full of N-Gages and X-Boxes.

I also recall, years later, when Sierra's Incredible Toon Machine made it so that my computer would not load Windows because it monkeyed with a command line somewhere. I spent a good year or two in DOS while most other people were in Windows 95. But I became great friends with Duke Nukem 3D.
narc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke rocks im still hoping that Duke Nukem forever finally comes out.

As for the new Larry game i think i too will pass
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

narc wrote:
Duke rocks im still hoping that Duke Nukem forever finally comes out.

Duke Nukem fans are prehaps some of the most patient people I've ever seen in my life.

Maybe too patient.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like plain ol' side-scrolling EGA Duke 1 better than DN3D or any of what came after it. (More than DN2 too, though).
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugnut wrote:
I still like plain ol' side-scrolling EGA Duke 1 better than DN3D or any of what came after it. (More than DN2 too, though).

DN2 was just...I dunno, weird. I still don't understand why they used so few colors when the game's VGA video mode supported a full 256 colors...the game could've looked so much better.

I think Duke3D is my favorite by far, though. The humor and sheer amount of personality and interactivity infused into the game helped elevate it far above practically every other 3D game ever made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: