Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

Parasol Stars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Parasol Stars Reply with quote

There's something I've been wondering about this game for a long time... Was it ever a Taito developed game?

I've never seen it in any compilation, and there doesn't seem to be any cameos from the situations/enemies/whatever of Parasol Stars in any other Taito game (besides the different potions to beat the bosses in Bubble Simphony). It's like if the company wanted this game to disappear from everybody's memories, like if it never existed.

Could it be because it was entirely made by Ocean? After all, they had the rights to the franchise at that moment, so they could have tried to make a new sequel by themselves. Plus, there doesn't seem to be any definitive evidence of an arcade version ever existing (it's also very strange that one of the items you can get in the game gives you a credit for free), and I don't think it was ever officially announced as an arcade port.

Another possibility I've thought of, is that Ocean could have been sent a prototype (or all the needed documentation) of this game so they could port it like they did with Rainbow Islands, but assuming that the arcade was later cancelled, it might have been too much trouble to cancel the home versions at that point.

Is there any Ocean-insider/BubbleBobble-fan who can shed some light into this?
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically unrelated, but what -is- the deal with Ocean's version of Rainbow Islands? Why did they feel the need to program a whole new port when they could have just used Taito's existing version?
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Ocean, it's the European equivalent of Acclaim for cris'sakes! They made shitty games all the time, that's the reason.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it has to do with Ocean getting the European rights to publishing the Bubble Bobble home versions.

Since Rainbow Islands was "Bubble Bobble 2", they could have demanded to make their own version (and Parasol Stars was Bubble Bobble 3, so the same reasoning would apply).
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Parasol Stars there were little "Bombermen" in one of the later levels...and that's a Hudson game. There were several other enemies in Parasol Stars that I have seen in other video games, but I don't recall offhand which ones.
anarchy99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the SNES/Genesis Addams Family r0x j00r.
Raccoon Lad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaml wrote:
In Parasol Stars there were little "Bombermen" in one of the later levels...and that's a Hudson game. There were several other enemies in Parasol Stars that I have seen in other video games, but I don't recall offhand which ones.

Those little "bombermen" were Evil Chack'n's

You see, Parasol stars pays homage to EVERY previous Bubble Bobble series.
Rainbow Islands: (the rainbow planet with helecopters, vampires and Moai heads, and the bubble dragon boss)
Bubble Bobble: (those wind-up enemies, pink propellor guys, space invaders, the pogo enemies, and the Super drunkard boss)
Chack'n Pop: (while not an oficcial Bubble Bobble game, this little known game was the origin of the "bubble bobble" series, as it contained Monsta's and Mighta's. and when you beat Parasol Stars, you free Chack'n himself.)

Chack'n was a weird yellow thing that threw bombs, and the enemies in world 8 of Parasol stars were evil versions of Chack'n, as it wouldn't be right to tarnish the image of Taito's first single screen "cutsey platformer" hero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: