Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:03 am

Monster Party .. uncensored?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outpost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Monster Party .. uncensored? Reply with quote

I've been hearing about an version of Monster Party that isn't censored, but never released either...

Is there a hack of this version somewhere, does it even exist?

I'd really love to see Monster Party in it's fully glory.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Monster Party .. uncensored? Reply with quote

Outpost wrote:
I've been hearing about an version of Monster Party that isn't censored, but never released either...

Is there a hack of this version somewhere, does it even exist?

I'd really love to see Monster Party in it's fully glory.

Monster Party was planned to be released in Japan for the Famicom, but that version of the game was never released and the game for some reason or another, was only released in America. Only pre-release screenshots were shown to game magazines in Japan. I believe Chris Covell or someone made scans of an article which covered the first few stages of the game. I remember there were quite a few differences.

It may seemed odd that a Japanese-developed game wasn't released in it's native territory, but it really isn't. Capcom (NES Strider, Legendary Wings), Konami (Arc Hound, Snake's Revenge), Namco (Rolling Thunder 3) and even Nintendo (the Star Tropics series) did it many times when they felt a game would do better in the west than in Japan or simply because the game was made specifically for the western market to begin with.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilligan's Island is another example of this.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Monster Party .. uncensored? Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
It may seemed odd that a Japanese-developed game wasn't released in it's native territory, but it really isn't. Capcom (NES Strider, Legendary Wings), Konami (Arc Hound, Snake's Revenge), Namco (Rolling Thunder 3) and even Nintendo (the Star Tropics series) did it many times when they felt a game would do better in the west than in Japan or simply because the game was made specifically for the western market to begin with.

The Famicom version of Strider is titled Strider Hiryu. So is the NES version, if you go by the title screen - they just left the Kanji there.

Startropics was Japanese-developed?
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Monster Party .. uncensored? Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Johnny Undaunted wrote:

The Famicom version of Strider is titled Strider Hiryu. So is the NES version, if you go by the title screen - they just left the Kanji there.

Startropics was Japanese-developed?

1) Strider Hiryu was announced as a Famicom game, but never released. Only pre-release materials (namely a flyer) were made. Oddly enough, the NES version of Strider was more faithful to Moto Kikaku's original manga (which is quite an obscure item) than the more-popular Arcade game.

2) Yes. It was developed by Nintendo R&D3, the same division responsible for Punch-Out. The lead designer, Genya Takeda, created Star Tropics as an RPG with a western audience in mind.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Somewhere out there... Reply with quote

Isn't there an article on the Internet somewhere about "Monster Party". Wasn't it supposed to be very gory at the end, but was later changed?
Beeshu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
Isn't there an article on the Internet somewhere about "Monster Party". Wasn't it supposed to be very gory at the end, but was later changed?

http://www.encyclopedia-obscura.com/gameshorror.html
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Isn't this beautiful scenery Skipper?
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Monster Party .. uncensored? Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
1) Strider Hiryu was announced as a Famicom game, but never released. Only pre-release materials (namely a flyer) were made. Oddly enough, the NES version of Strider was more faithful to Moto Kikaku's original manga (which is quite an obscure item) than the more-popular Arcade game.

Strider NES > Strider arcade. Those poor Japanese gamers.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

Thank you Beesha for the link. I knew I saw it somewhere.

About Strider, having owned/played both the PSX and NES versions of the game, the NES version is much better.

The NES version had a lot more story and was more of an action-adventure game, unlike the arcade.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Yeah. More often than not, games like were based on popular (or at least well-known in this case) licenses that developers picked up. I know Konami did this a lot during the later days of the NES with games like Mission: Impossible, Rollergames, The Lone Ranger and Batman Returns.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Isn't this beautiful scenery Skipper?

Shut up, Gilligan, I'm trying to defeat this demon god.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Yeah. More often than not, games like were based on popular (or at least well-known in this case) licenses that developers picked up. I know Konami did this a lot during the later days of the NES with games like Mission: Impossible, Rollergames, The Lone Ranger and Batman Returns.

PLATOON KTHX

Actually, I really don't know if there's a Japan (Ed. I'm an idiot) version of Platoon or not. Huh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Kitsune wrote:
[PLATOON KTHX

Actually, I really don't know if there's a Japan (Ed. I'm an idiot) version of Platoon or not. Huh.

I don't think there is. Like Konami, there were some games Sunsoft made for a US market. Freedom Force, Fester's Quest, Spy Hunter, and Xenophobe didn't get released in Japan. (At least I couldn't find any Japanese versions of them.) Freedom Force is interesting since that game is pretty gritty and violent, and it didn't seem to get censored at all.

There is one thing I've wondered about Platoon for awhile. In the game's copyright screen, Ocean is mentioned. I assumed for a long time that it meant that Ocean developed the game while Sunsoft just published it.

But beating the game and watching the credits, showed that the staff was Japanese. And Ocean is not a Japanese company. I guess Sunsoft Japan made the game after all, but in that case what did Ocean do? They didn't develop or publish Platoon so why were they mentioned?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because Ocean developed the original C64 and Apple II versions of Platoon, and the credits you're seeing are just for the NES port.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I didn't realize Platoon was a port of a computer game.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else ever considered how WILDLY INAPPROPRIATE it is that there's a Platoon videogame? I mean, REALLY?
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to know is why is it that no one bitched about that game when it first came out. I mean, you're shooting VIETNAMESE PEOPLE IN THE VIETNAM WAR, not to mention, falling on boobytraps and stuff.

Nintendo should release it on a GBA cart, see how that goes. :P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make an excellent point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: