Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

Super Mario World, Super Ghosts n' Ghouls & others proto
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeromusUra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Super Mario World, Super Ghosts n' Ghouls & others proto Reply with quote

Hi there,

First time posting here in this excellent site. First my english is not excellent but here i go.

I remember in a 1990 or 91' magazine pictures of super mario world looking very different than the released version. The overworld map graphics looks more with a 3D perpective look. Sadly i don't know what magazine was NP or EGM?, same for SG&G.

Please, i just whant to know if somebody have ever saw rare pic of SMW or SG&G. Now i have seen pics of snes UN squadron looking more like the arcade in the normal capcom ad for the time been release. Pitfall for snes in january 94 EGM i think, looking way different than the final.

Here is a list of games i have saw in magazines that graphics look different from the final release:

Final Fight 2
Batman Returns
Super Star Wars
Pitfall

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - the pig's have weapons like in the nes version & i saw a video in gamepro tv in 92' running the game in a very early state the music was the pause theme. i remember that wow. Why they ax the axes :x

UN Squadron - background of level 1 is exactly the same of arcade. it's not the arcade because of the in status menu is different. I think that capcom originaly was going to bring a exact port. Well almost.

Well the list go and go that's the more i remember for now.
In the future i will post some scans. P
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Super Mario World, Super Ghosts n' Ghouls & others p Reply with quote

ZeromusUra wrote:

I remember in a 1990 or 91' magazine pictures of super mario world looking very different than the released version. The overworld map graphics looks more with a 3D perpective look. Sadly i don't know what magazine was NP or EGM?, same for SG&G.

I know someone here has the scan of an early SMW overworld from EGM. It looked a lot more raw, but I don't know about 3d.
ZeromusUra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no not 3d and no mode 7 look. I mean more angular the view of the plane. Well ufff maybe thats all i remember.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, back home I have an EGM issue from around Dec. 1990 or Jan. 1991 that has early pics of Super Ghouls & Ghosts. The screenshots showed club-wielding trolls and large yellow vases in the first level. Actually looked better than the released version.

The game Jerry Boy (AKA Smartball) also was substantially different from the released version in its early stages. Pics from EGM and other mags from the same period showed slightly more photorealistic worlds and human characters, old wooden houses, etc...

I would love to get my hands on prototypes like that. Heck, wouldn't we all?
ZeromusUra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Hey, does are the pics i remember!

Thanks RedEye!

The game Jerry Boy (AKA Smartball) also was substantially different from the released version in its early stages. Pics from EGM and other mags from the same period showed slightly more photorealistic worlds and human characters, old wooden houses, etc...

Wow, i never saw those pics of Jerry Boy. Now that's very cool news for me.
thanks!
[/url]
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a rather large number of prototype SMW tiles in the SNES Test ROM some time ago. The prototype tilesets are on the left, and the final tilesets are on the right. See how many you can match with the pictures above:

Evan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is a few things that were never used. For instance, when I was making some levels a few years ago using Lunar Magic, I came across some flying red coins:

Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is going to sound nuts, and I probably just imagined it, but the first time I played SMW at an in-store demo, I could have sworn the lake you cross in the first world to go up to the Yellow Switch Palace was an actual level you could go to.

And what was the deal with those weird invisible blocks Yoshi could hit with his tongue, like in Top Secret Area?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
I found a rather large number of prototype SMW tiles in the SNES Test ROM some time ago.

Didn't you (or somebody else?) determine that the tiles maybe came from Mario All Stars?
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am almost sure that the US in-store demo SMW carts contained at least a few levels not in the retail version.
Such as that island above Donut Plains, or at least a level above Donut Plains 3, and I clearly remember walking in to a store one day on somebody on a Donut Secret 1 with a keyhole set on top of a long horizontal green pipe (yeah, that's the only screen of the level I remember). As well as a path connecting Donut Secret House and Donut Plains 1.

Checked the Japanese version, and I didn't see much difference (or maybe I didn't want to spend a couple hundred hours looking for secrets in the most absurd places).
What I noticed was to the extent of...the yellow ! block at the beginning of Donut Plains 2 wasn't there in the Japanese version, and another equally petty change or 2.
portnoyd
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
I too am almost sure that the US in-store demo SMW carts contained at least a few levels not in the retail version.

That's an interesting point. Where are these demo SMW carts? I don't know of any that have turned up.. are you sure they weren't just retail carts in POP kiosks?

dave
narc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone checked out super mario world: super mario advance 2 for any differences?

I beat SMW years ago and unlocked everything but i dont remember anything specific enough to be of any help except to say that donut plains had a lot of secret stages (some of which required filling those colored blocks) and i believe access to star road (?)

Also about the kiosks im almost positive the toys r us i bought my snes from had one with just a stock cart. (easily remembered because i played the proceeded to badger my parents until they got me a snes of my own)
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
Didn't you (or somebody else?) determine that the tiles maybe came from Mario All Stars?

Nope...at least I didn't. I'm 100% certain those are from an SMW proto. Many of those tiles match up with the proto shots, and some appear to be scrapped ideas, like the diagonal piranha plant and half of a squashed Goomba (you could only flip them over in SMW). However, the biggest proof lies in the little "x (COIN)" tiles in the third set; if you jump on enough enemies (or a certain type of enemy, can't remember) in the final game, eventually a jumbled sprite will pop out and give you a certain number of coins. The tiles no longer exist in the final ROM, but those tiles in the prototype set match up with this sprite perfectly. :)

As for those red coins, that's one scrapped idea that *was* resurrected in later games. It even gives you 5 coins, just like the ones in Mario 64.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm pretty sure the red coins in Yoshi's Island gave five coins.
henx12
BANNED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yoshis island on gba and there are red coins but i dont remember if the coins had wings but i do remeber is that shy guys held the coins and if you dont eat the coin or shyguy or throw eggs at them then he runs away

Oh and popasmear in yoshis island in every level there are 20 coins so each red coin is worth one red coin
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One red coin AND one regular coin. I checked last night.
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the Lunar Magic SMW level editor, the only hidden level is the debug level. There is literally over 100 of these levels in the rom, but they are all identical. They are nothing but placeholders.

If you want to try your hand at SMW level design, the Lunar Magic editor is beautiful. You can find it here:

http://fusoya.cg-games.net/lm/
Blues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
if you jump on enough enemies (or a certain type of enemy, can't remember) in the final game, eventually a jumbled sprite will pop out and give you a certain number of coins. The tiles no longer exist in the final ROM, but those tiles in the prototype set match up with this sprite perfectly. :)

Please point out which tiles belong to that sprite, BMF!!

You see, I remember such an enemy....in fact, I've seen many times in Super Mario World, and as much as I have played the game to death, I've often wondered what it was for..what it's point for existing is. I seem to remember there being an official explanation for it given in the manual, but I can't be sure.

But the problem is....on my cartridge, at least -- it NEVER appeared as a glitched sprite! I'm racking my brain for what the thing looked like, but for the life of me, I can't remember. I can't even find a SMW sprite set that has it included! But I know I'm not crazy.....I know a glitched sprite when I see one. This was most definitely a tangible creature of some sort...
Pullmyfinger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glitched sprites or not, which enemy must be jumped on over and over?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: