Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 pm

Regarding the translation of Star Fox 2....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakmir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Regarding the translation of Star Fox 2.... Reply with quote

I'm looking for a few opinions. I've managed to hack out a bunch of the debug stuff in the Star Fox 2 beta - Corneria is no longer fixed at 0% damage, and I've killed the little numbers that float over the "Corneria Damage" sign on the map screen. What I want to know...

1) Should I include these in the actual translation patch, or should they be separate and optional?

2) Should I try to remove the non-functional and debug menu options from the title screen menu (notably the not-yet-implemented Training option and the Test option)? I'd leave the "Config" menu, maybe slightly modified, as it's basically just a stereo/mono option with sound test stuff. Or should I try to remove that too?

3) If I do remove the menu options in #2, should those be part of the translation patch or should they be part of an optional de-debug patch?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I figure, a translation patch is a way of modifying a game that a specific region didn't see to look like it was released there. I'd say make your patch come as close to a final game as you can, and let people who want to play with the other stuff just use the unmodified Japanese version.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two patches, one with, one without debug stuff.

That way we can see the english ending by cheating. :P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave in the config option, since its just stereo/mono options, and that likely would've been in the final anyway. The sound test might've too, but who knows. Some games give you a sound test right away in the options, others make you enter a hidden code to listen to them. Dunno which route the final would've done.

There probably wouldn't be too much harm in having a translation patch for the debug options available for those who might like to mess around with them. Though there's probably no point for the non functional ones. (But hey, Nintendo did leave the save and load features in Excitebike, Mach Rider, and Wrecking Crew. :P )
merp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking maybe even a patch with all the "final game" implementations without the English translation. That may be of interest for the Japanese gamers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: