Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

Famicom Tsushin Magic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tongueman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Famicom Tsushin Magic Reply with quote

Hi, folks.

I have taken lots and lots of pictures of cool, unreleased, and prototype games from issues of Famicom Tsushin from 1990-1991.

Please check them out!
http://www.spini2k.com/chrisc/

and while you're at it, I'd like to hear what you think of my new front page on my website: http://www.zyx.com/chrisc/index.html
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new site design. It'd be cool if you could get the Fantasy Zone music in there somehow, but I know that music-in-browser == bad for many.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
I like the new site design. It'd be cool if you could get the Fantasy Zone music in there somehow, but I know that music-in-browser == bad for many.

Naah. I hate it when I'm listening to my own music in Winamp or something, then some damn MIDI song starts playing on some dork's webpage. Best left alone.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution: An SWF (Flash) file which has a button that turns the music on or off.

Also, those scans rock the house.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I have to browse/view those scans in a very awkward way...

The port blocking on the base network prevents me from viewing the images on that server, so I have to connect with the remote control admin to my home computer and view them that way :-P
ICEknight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The text below is the standard info about the game, but one very interesting point is that the 3 forms your robotic dog, Rush, could take were 1) a coil 2) a submarine and 3) a drill!!!

Hey, isn't "Rush Drill" one of MegaMan's special moves in the CapCom Vs. Whatever series?

...And by the way, those trolls in the Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts pics look pretty cool.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah, interesting article about RAF/Rough World/Silius. Make me wonder why they opted to keep this prelim version of the main character's sprite for JoS after Sunsoft lost the Terminator licence, as opposed to the one used in RAF.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool beans man. Slight correction to your Rockman 4 commentary - those screens are of Ring Man's stage, not Bright Man's.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:

Hey, isn't "Rush Drill" one of MegaMan's special moves in the CapCom Vs. Whatever series?

Marvel Vs. Capcom, and yes, that's one of his three super moves. Quite the annoying one, too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
woah, interesting article about RAF/Rough World/Silius. Make me wonder why they opted to keep this prelim version of the main character's sprite for JoS after Sunsoft lost the Terminator licence, as opposed to the one used in RAF.

Maybe Journey to Silius came out before RAF World.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious so I Googled it...

GameFAQs (outside of the forums, a lot of their info can be on the dot) claims RAF was released August 10th of 1990 in Japan. Moby Games states that Silius came to America about a month later. So roughly, they came about both markets almost the same time.

I recall the game being in development as The Terminator a year prior, so what looks like happened is Terminator was canned some point in development and was changed to RAF World/Silius, both with the helmetless "Jay" sprite. What I'm guessing happened during that time was they felt the helmetless sprite didn't mesh well with the rest of the game (and it really didn't). I guess they didn't feel it wasn't worth the effort of changing the American sprite to mirror RAF's new hero.

Sunsoft's American branch was a bit lazy back then, what with Hebereke/Ufouria (they claimed the cancelation to be due to illness of one of the programmers) and Mr. Gimmick (probably in part to Nintendo's pressure on licencees to focus on the SNES at the time) being canned in America. So that would be believable.

Another stab in the dark is that maybe RAF's development began first (with the helmetless "Jay" sprite), and when Sunsoft obtained the Terminator licence, decided to use RAF for Terminator. Both versions underwent needed graphical changes. My guess would be that Sunsoft lost the licence at the last moment, and in haste, just took the "prelim" RAF, came up with a story, and plugged it into that coming up with our Silius".

The one thing I see wrong with that is, other than the main characters, both are identical and that includes both versions having very Terminator-esque graphics. Also, don't both games have bits and pieces of the "Terminator" Copyright info still tucked away in the rom, or is that just Silius?

Something to look into, I would, but that's as far as I could go with that.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Also, don't both games have bits and pieces of the "Terminator" Copyright info still tucked away in the rom, or is that just Silius?

That's in both R^f World and Silius.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro and US version of Journey to Silius has different Jay sprites...
I don't remember which one has the helmet less one.

Also, one of the versions have the weapons disabled on the first boss iirc
(the chopter doesn't shoot while it's down on ground level)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to look at those scans when I get home (gave up on using hte remote desktop utility! seriously, transferring computer images with images on it took ages...)
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US has the helmetless Jay. I've never played the European version, but I would have thought there wasn't any difference there.

So the copyright stuff is found in RAF too? That rules out theory 2, but it backs theory 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: