Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

ROMS....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
The average ISP also doesn't carry USENET support. At least not as far as I know.

But if AOL carried it and promoted it, hoo boy... just imagine...

I would argue that you are wrong. Most ISPs have usernet servers and don't need to support it (much less advertise it) much because just about nobody uses usenet these days. The people who do use it are happy in their own little usenet world where there really are almost no newbs, unless it's people trying to pirate stuff. Usenet can be a pain in the ass when things don't work, but unless there's a disk failure at the ISP or something, I doubt that happens to anyone often.

AOL I'm sure doesn't do usenet, the entire point of AOL is their private intranet for paid members.

This is a really poorly worded response, but I'm trying to eat, dammit. But yeah. You're wrong! :D
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
The average ISP also doesn't carry USENET support. At least not as far as I know.

But if AOL carried it and promoted it, hoo boy... just imagine...

That depends on what you consider "average". While AOL may have a large userbase, they're hardly a standard ISP.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said "as far as I know."

Down here, I remember asking my ISP if they had Usenet support. They asked me what that was. I've never asked them for help since.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think kap's right in saying that most ISPs do offer some sort of NNTP services, but I think the vast majority of them don't carry the binary groups at all. Mine used to, then killed them.

So now I have to hunt down sporadically-available free servers to get my occasional Usenet pr0n fix, but oh well.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
That's why I said "as far as I know."

Down here, I remember asking my ISP if they had Usenet support. They asked me what that was. I've never asked them for help since.

Mexican ISPs don't count as "average" either :P That's pretty awful though.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugnut wrote:
I think kap's right in saying that most ISPs do offer some sort of NNTP services, but I think the vast majority of them don't carry the binary groups at all. Mine used to, then killed them.

huhn. I've gone through Prodigy, Aol, Concentric, Adelphia, and BellSouth, and they've all had support.
AOL was a while ago, though, so maybe they've dropped it since then.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Searching... Reply with quote

Wow, things have changed a bit.

It's now harder to find ROMs, but I find that the quality of translations has increased a lot. I stumbled across Dejap's site on the Internet and it's pretty cool. But on the front page there's a classic reason as to why emulation isn't going away anytime soon.
It's about Namco and the GBA release of Tales of Phantasia.

I still can't figure out why Squaresoft never released Bahamut's Lagoon is the states.:) This game kicks arse...
pineapplehead2
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: topic Reply with quote

This makes me mad.

Why cant i Download old games that are not being sold no more, Why?, i dont want to sell them I only want to play them by myself on my computer, sure i might play netplay with my buddies to havea good game of BattleToads, but what on earth is wrong with me playing Bucky O Hair on my computer, what is it.

It gets on my nerves it really does and its gonna ruin it for people.
Nintendo make great machine but they are dumb.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: topic Reply with quote

pineapplehead2 wrote:
Nintendo make GRATE machine but they are dumb.

Indeed. Protecting their copyrighted materials from mass piracy is very dumb. I mean, how DARE they?

Don't ge me wrong, I'm just as sad and disappointed as the next guy when a really great site (a true rarity nowadays) gets shut down, but I'd hardly call what they're doing "dumb." Fact is, unless they declare all their old games to be in the public domain, or the copyrights expire, shutting down ROM sites is very legal. The success of their recent "NES Classics" series for the GBA proves that a profit can still be made on their old games, and if the exact same data is being made available on the Internet for free, isn't it understandable that they'd be a little upset?

My advice: shut up and deal with it. As long as the Internet is around, you'll be able to find ROMs, one way or another. You just have to dig a little deeper nowadays.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be objections from Staff if I posted the url for Wonderous French Rom Site? I know Sardius's board is leery of such things, so figure I'd check first.
In any event. If you're looking for roms on the IntrearWebs, don't search for "XXSystem rom". You'll go crazy. I've always gotten better results searching for "XXSystem XXGame rom". It still takes a bit of digging, but I get less crap that way.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say don't bother linking to it unless there's a specific reason to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: