Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 am

Mortal Kombat Competition Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Mortal Kombat Competition Edition Reply with quote

... ok, my sister in law's sister [gah] left me a few things a couple of years ago: A movie called "Midnight run", and a Mortal Kombat SNES cart. But, this cart had "Competition Edition" on the label. I never really bothered to play it.

Since a friend is gonna buy my SNES stuff, I thought I'd look up that game on Ebay... and I didn't see -any- carts labeled like that.

So what -do- I have? An omgrarel@@k cart? Or maybe a bootleg? It looks damn legit, or looked, I have to find it...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Blockbuster have a MK2 tournament?
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, it's an MK1 cart, not MK2.

Unless you're asking for another reason?

Oh, if this thing does turn out to be a rare game, then you guys can have it so you can sell it at CGE and make some cash for FEFEA. After it gets dumped, of course. I don't want it or need it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an SNES nut that works downstairs here, I'll ask him next time I see him. I'd ask him today, but it's Mardi Gras, and there are like all of 20 people here today. Myself included. Suck.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this? - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3065048003&category=11040[/quote]
ICEknight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably one of those cartdriges used in the Blockbuster competitions TheRedEye mentioned, just like the Donkey Kong Country and Starfox ones.

Of course, it won't get sold for a good amount of money just using the premise of "NEVER PLAYED!" and showing a pic of a horribly conserved box. Not even a "RARE! L@@K!"...
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does intrigue me a bit. Kitsune's right in that every other scan I've found of the game save for that eBay link doesn't have the "Competition Edition" text, but I almost want to say that my SNES-owning friend who bought his MK the same day I got my Genesis version had this "CE" edition too.

It could be a Blockbuster Challenge or such, but given that a Google search generates nothing except for the MK2 Blockbuster competition, I have a hard time going for that explanation. Surely if Blockbuster or someone else actually had held a MK1 tournament, *someone* would have remembered it, if only in a brief blurb.

Do the title screen or in-game menus mention anything about it? The only reason it comes to mind is that I seem to recall my friend's SNES version bearing a "Tournament Edition" (or "Competition," perhaps) logo within the game and that we spent quite a while playing both versions trying to figure out what the difference was (beyond the obvious blood/fatality censorship).
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's exactly the same label as my cart. Thanks, lugnut.

I never played it, but I'm gonna whip out my SNES and games today since I have to test out my system before I whisk it off to my friend... might as well test it out.

I'll have a report later today or tomorrow.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit.

I can't find the cart... seems like one of my sisters took it with her to Tennessee! Ah well. If I don't find it, I'll phone her and ask if she has it. Sorry.
jiuko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Mortal Kombat: competition edition Reply with quote

I've got these game.....and says "Mortal Kombat: competition edition" it just means that it is less bloody, following a good policy that used to have Nintendo, that their games are mostly for kids.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jiuko said, pretty much. All SNES versions of the game had the "Competition Edition" label, at least when the game first came out. It's possible that there was more to it than just the censored blood. The new (less-violent) fatalities, most of which differed from the arcade version's button input, probably had something to do with it.
LocalH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a cursory Google search, it seems that the Competition Edition label only shows up on the US cartridge, at least I didn't see it on any PAL-style carts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: