Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 am

Revolution controller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Revolution controller Reply with quote

So I'm sure everyone's seen the "big secret" by now...

Now, I admittedly haven't been following all the details and news regarding said controller and its capabilities...

But is anyone else immediately reminded of the CD-i 450 control?

And I'm still not sure how we're supposed to play NES/SNES/N64 with this thing.

Thoughts? Seems like the "IRC gamer kiddie" response is mainly comprised of "LAUGHING OUT LOUD NINTENDO IS DUMM THAT CONTROLR SUX PS3 RULZ," but that much was sort of expected regardless of what the final design had turned out to be.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Take a look at the controller if you tip it on it's side. It becomes a NES controller easy, perfect for the NES games you'll be downloading!
Chojin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And shit for SNES gaming, which I don't think Nintendo is going to push all that much. Lots of publishers are defunct and/or would probably demand a huge licensing fee for (total speculation on the latter). That's what really got my cockles all hotted up was that I could play some snes games on my tv without Zsnes going apeshit on my TV out from my video card or resorting to buying and modding an Xbox. But the more I think about it, we'll have less run sabers and robot treks and more Mario All stars. I mean its not bad to play Zelda 3 on your TV again, but shit, we can do that on our GBA/DS's.

Oh, and is it just me or does that controller look like a friggan Philips CDI controller?

::edit::
Shit I need to read your posts :p

Yeah its exactly what I thought. I can just see me now playing Zelda with lipstick besmirched link >_<
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I saw this, I turned into a retarded fanboy and thought "Nintendo is going to save games." Seriously, I love it. And if you guys bothered reading the coverage, you'd know that you can "dock" this into other shells, or add other attachments, etc. Limitless possibilities, and since all the wireless crap and a good majority of the electronics are already inside the main unit, these attachments and expansions should be cheap as hell.

Viva la revolucion!
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chojin wrote:
And shit for SNES gaming, which I don't think Nintendo is going to push all that much.

This was pretty much my first thought, and the only one that I haven't either been able to reconcile or explain away. Then again, I *do* own a hacked xbox already.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the "normal" controller stuff will be a separate "shell" that you dock this thing into, kind of like a VMU in a Dreamcast pad. The remote is just the core that comes with the system.

But yeah, like kap, my modded Xbox and I don't really care about this "virtual console." Except maybe for N64 stuff.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Viva la revolucion!

Bet you waited a long time to make that pun.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about the controller shells, but until I see a shell that somehow replaces the buttons into a configuration I'm familiar and comfortable with, I refuse to believe it'll happen. Creating a shell for a SNES feel will mean doing some weird things on an engineering level that I don't see anyone wanting to spend the time or money on, but then again, Nintendo has surprised everyone before.

If this thing couldn't be turned on it's side to be used as an NES controller, I'd assume old controllers could just be attached to it using an adapter just like the left thumbstuck in other pictures, but that's impractical for reasons not limited to old controllers being difficult to find (if you're joe schmo in Best Buy) and it's hard to make money off old product.. unless they're just going to reproduce them, but even that is silly when Nintendo is pushing a brand new mode of play. So, shells it is, but I'm damn curious about how a SNES shell will turn out.

All that said, I do believe there are rumors (if not fact) that the GameCube controller will work on the Revolution too.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
All that said, I do believe there are rumors (if not fact) that the GameCube controller will work on the Revolution too.

It is a fact that there are four Gamecube controller ports on the top of the Revolution unit itself, yes. At least, there were in the E3 prototype.
narc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideal for the controller is cool but im not sure how well it will work in practice. Im just happy that according to gamepro anyways the ps3's boomerrang looking controller is not as large as it looked in the pictures. I was having flashbacks of the xtra large xbox controller when i first saw it.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to post my big winded speech on it (basic gist of it: it's good and bad), so all I say is that the only way I'm going to DEFINITELY buy this system is that someone releases a game where you hit a 9 year old japanese girl upside the head until she either cooks for you or you make her cry.

I'd call it Loli Bam Bam Monogatari.

Then I'd jump up and start saving away for the system right now. But as of now, I'm at the "we'll see" status. >> Mostly because I would have to literally reorganize my entire room just to play it, and partially because I'm a lazy person who just wants to press buttons.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

narc wrote:
The ideal for the controller is cool but im not sure how well it will work in practice. Im just happy that according to gamepro anyways the ps3's boomerrang looking controller is not as large as it looked in the pictures. I was having flashbacks of the xtra large xbox controller when i first saw it.

According to Sony, the design is still conceptual. Which is good.. that thing is.. just.. no.

Ichiban Crush wrote:
... so all I say is that the only way I'm going to DEFINITELY buy this system is that someone releases a game where you hit a 9 year old japanese girl upside the head until she either cooks for you or you make her cry.

Bonus points if she cries while cooking dinner. Tears make everything taste better.

Last edited by kap on Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Dais

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
I'm not going to post my big winded speech on it (basic gist of it: it's good and bad), so all I say is that the only way I'm going to DEFINITELY buy this system is that someone releases a game where you hit a 9 year old japanese girl upside the head until she either cooks for you or you make her cry.

I'd call it Loli Bam Bam Monogatari.

There's already Sega Loli Championship for stuff like that.
merp
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One innovative thing this controller will provide, is that loser nerds in middle school won't have to worry about inviting the friends they don't have over to play fighting games anymore. He could use two controllers at once.

Yes... I am speaking from past experience. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do look forward to when demo units are available in stores. I'd like to be able to try the controller for myself. Hopefully it'll be comfortable enough and not too difficult to get the hang of. I figure it can't possibly be worse than the n64 controller at least. (My least favorite Nintendo controller of all time.)

In regards to older content being downloadable, I feel exactly the same way Chojin does. I get the feeling Nintendo will drop support of it once they've already gotten enough people to buy their system. And they certainly won't allow those not in Japan to download any Famicom/Super Famicom stuff. Still I guess this could give certain old games of theirs a second chance at finding an audience like Gumshoe, or the Startropics games. (Though I dunno how they'll handle the dip the letter in water thing.)

Of course if Nintendo offered DK Music on that thing, I'd probably change my mind immediately. :P
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we'll get the US versions of the downloadable games in Europe. I wouldn't like to be playing slow 50Hz games, but on the other hand it would be nice to be able to get ahold of a few European exclusive releases/translations.

But then again, they could just disable the whole stuff for the European countries, of course.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an excuse to bring up PAL Zelda or something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: