Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:57 pm

Does anyone have info on the New Kids on the Block game?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Extra Zesty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Does anyone have info on the New Kids on the Block game? Reply with quote

Hi! I came across this site after it was mentioned on SA, and love all of the information on obscure games you have here. I started thinking, though, wasn't there a NKOTB game mentioned in the back of Nintendo Power ages ago? I think that's about the only unreleased game I've ever actually anticipated. Are there any copies of it in the wild, or was it just an idea that never saw the light of day?

I'd appreciate any information anyone has on it, as now I'm curious... Cool
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had doubts as to whether programming ever even started. You'd think this would have been the type of thing Nintendo Power would have pimped the hell out of the second there was anything resembling gameplay to take screenshots of.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have info on the New Kids on the Block game? Reply with quote

Extra Zesty wrote:
Hi! I came across this site after it was mentioned on SA

From what, my Penn & Teller thread? Sup!

No evidence of the NKOTB game actually existing at one point has ever surface. We had a box art preview once, and there was a very brief description of the game play in I believe Nintendo Power (apparently you were avoiding fans). If you want my personal wild ass guess, I would think that the game WAS started at one point. There was just too much time in-between its announcement and its cancellation for it to just sit on the drawing board.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I also remember a description of playing as a fan trying to get to a concert or something. I believe it was just an early guess at one of the concepts they were considering. It was probably in that interview with the New Kids.
Extra Zesty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye: Yep, it was from the Penn & Teller thread! Thanks so much for posting that, I haven't played anything so quirky in ages. "Impossible mode" alone was worth the download! Very Happy

Li Wang & Redeye: I remember the description about being a fan too. There was something to the effect of "really working the music into the game", and I can't imagine what that would entail given the sound capabilities of the NES. Maybe you ran around collecting instruments or something? From what I remember, NKOTB began their rapid decline from beloved boy band to hated lip-synchers a month or two after the interview came out so I'm not too surprised the game was cancelled.

I'm sorry to hear that there doesn't really appear to be much info out on the game, but maybe a dump will show up one day anyways... who knows!
Chojin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I remember about that NP interview was that the goal of the game was to rescue the New Kids from people that hated NKOTB (which I guess is 98 percent of the world, then again white people liked em...) by throwing CD's at them.

I guess they turned that game into Revolution X

Remember, music is a weapon!

Stranger things have happened, they made a Rubicks Cube, Where's Waldo, and more than one Troll dolls video game.

I mean if Kriss Kross can have their own video game and Urkel can have his own cereal, I'm suprised the New Kids game never got off the ground.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own baseless theory is that it probably just got held up in development a tad too long and the "golden opportunity" passed.

The last I recall seeing about it was around May '91, when Parker Bros. announced it was cancelled and they were bringing out Monopoly instead. And by '91, the whole NKOTB craze was pretty much dead as a doornail.

A few months earlier might have made all the difference in the world.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Urkel-O's were fucking awesome. I ate like two boxes of that shit a day. Damn Ralston forever for denying the world their "limited" cereals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: